Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
ring_c
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Is there (or could you make one) a block to put in the home page, to be able to send directly from the homepage a message to a specific forum?

It should look a bit like the quick reply feature. one large feild where a user can input his message, and a drop down menu or something to pick the forum to be posted in.

What do you say?

VinDSL
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

Location: Arizona (USA) Admin: NukeCops.com Admin: Disipal Designs Admin: Lenon.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm asking this... I hate ppl that do this, but...

I don't know if there is an existing block that will do what you want, but yes, you could make one, easy enough. I have a 'center block', for instance, that sucks info out of the phpBB sql db and displays it on my 'News' page (homepage). It would be just as simple to make one that sends a message to a forum...

...but, why would you want to do this Question

Can you explain the concept, please?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote

OffTopic VinDSL, watch it! You're getting DANGEROUSLY close to being promoted to full Moderator status. Digressing like that. Gone full circle. OffTopic ROTFL

ring_c

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote

VinDSL wrote:

...but, why would you want to do this Question
Can you explain the concept, please?

Will try to...
Actually, this was a request from some of my users. many of them are only posting in one forum (news forum), hence they stay mostly in this news forum, without knowing what's going on in other forums.

The specific user who've asked for this, was realy surprised to see there're other living forums on my site, when he accidently got into the main page.

Anyway, such block can save news' posters many clicks.

Also, as I was already asking around some other nuke-support forums (nukecops and portedmodes) with no reply at all, I was thinking of another solution to save some clicks - a right/left block with the same concept of the "jump to..." drop down menu, where a user can select a forum to be automaticly directed to.

Sounds inteligent enough?

VinDSL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote

ring_c wrote:
...such block can save news' posters many clicks... I was thinking of another solution to save some clicks - a right/left block with the same concept of the "jump to..." drop down menu, where a user can select a forum to be automaticly directed to.

Sounds inteligent enough?

Ah, okay...

I like that last idea! The first thing that popped into my mind, when I read that, was adding a 'jump to' menu to the bottom of my 'Recent Postings' center block. Never seen that done before.

Good idea! Can I steal it and say it was mine? Wink

VinDSL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote

VinDSL wrote:

LoL! Am I getting warmer, Raven? Dance-Y

ring_c

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote

VinDSL wrote:
I like that last idea! The first thing that popped into my mind, when I read that, was adding a 'jump to' menu to the bottom of my 'Recent Postings' center block. Never seen that done before.

As long as you tell me how I can steall it back, and implement it in my own 'Recent Postings' center block Wink

Does that mean you've abandoned the idea of a direct posting block?

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote

Hmmm... as long as I've found a good-willing-phpnuke-know-about-supporter (at last someone who likes my ideas, yippy! Smile ), I might try shooting an old idea here again...

I hate that screen after one submits a post, letting you choose to go back to your post or back to the forum. I'd like to remove it, making the user automaticly goes to his last post, without asking him. is it possible?

Actually, the basic idea was to add an option for the user's choice in his profile, letting him choose where he wants to go after sending his post... but I guess this is realy considered shooting over the top...

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote

VinDSL wrote:
VinDSL wrote:

Blazingly hot! BTW, I almost have the collapsing forum add-on done. Expect it later today Wink

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:22 am Reply with quote

Quote:

I almost have the collapsing forum add-on done. Expect it later today

Can all of us expect the same?

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote

Yep.

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep.

Will this also include my idea for a jump-to drop-down forums menu?

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote

Uh, I thought that's what we were talking about. What else are you talking about?

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Uh, I thought that's what we were talking about. What else are you talking about?

Oh, that's it? great!
I thought VinDSL was the one to do it...
I thought you were talking about an add-on to your (?) recent posts collapsing block.

Geee... thanks!!!

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote

I am talking about adding it to my collapsing block.

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote

Quote:

I am talking about adding it to my collapsing block.

I've tried once your collapsing block, and it's realy great.
I only have one problem - each time I refresh the window (or get back to the front page), I have to reclick the reveal button.

Can't it just remember the user's choice somehow?

Also, would you be so kind to help me put the drop-down-menu to a left/right block or something?

ring_c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote

I hope I'm not too rude... is there something new, Raven? worship

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote

When there is, it will be posted.

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote

Is that what you're talking about?

ring_c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:

Well, kind'a... I've dropped you 2 ideas.
The first (which I realy wanted) was to have a large text field to post a message, and than a drop-down menu, just like the one you've made, to choose the forum for that post to be sent to, and a little submit button, to send it...

This is actually a quick reply except that it's a post and not a reply, and it's done from the front page, with the must of selecting the desination forum.

The second, which is a compromise acutually was just the menu you've made! But... I'd prefer having it in a side blcok. Can it be done?

Or, can you tell me how to add it to my own "recent posts" block?

Anyway, you're great. THANK ALOT!

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote

ring_c wrote:
Raven wrote:

Well, kind'a... I've dropped you 2 ideas.
The first (which I realy wanted) was to have a large text field to post a message, and than a drop-down menu, just like the one you've made, to choose the forum for that post to be sent to, and a little submit button, to send it...

This is actually a quick reply except that it's a post and not a reply, and it's done from the front page, with the must of selecting the desination forum.

The second, which is a compromise acutually was just the menu you've made! But... I'd prefer having it in a side blcok. Can it be done?

Or, can you tell me how to add it to my own "recent posts" block?

Anyway, you're great. THANK ALOT!

I only was referring to the Jump To as I stated that was ALL I was working on
Raven wrote:
VinDSL wrote:
VinDSL wrote:

Blazingly hot! BTW, I almost have the collapsing forum add-on done. Expect it later today Wink

If you want all that other then contact me for a price quote.

ring_c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I only was referring to the Jump To as I stated that was ALL I was working on

Will you release the code to the community?

Quote:

If you want all that other then contact me for a price quote.

Will try to, later on...

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote

Ah yes, the "Community". Let's see, which "community" is that? The one that supports all the free code that is given out with regular monthly donations ROTFL? Or is it the one that takes our copy-righted code and strips the credits and claims it as their own? Or maybe you mean the "Community" that harasses us with email and im's because we don't answer their posts w/i 5 minutes? Or is it to the small, supportive "Community" of regular donators? It's just so hard these days to know which "Community" we should be releasing to.

If you detected a tone in that response, it isn't necessarily towards you. Many of us are growing weary, though, with all the hands out there wanting and wanting and wanting and never giving back anything. It's as if they believe there is some kind of a liberal democratic entitlement program in programming.

Yes, at some point I will be releasing it.

ring_c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

If you detected a tone in that response, it isn't necessarily towards you.

Well yeah, that was kinda' hard...
Feels like I should take my tail and never come back.

As I've mentioned above, I posted this request in 2 other phpnuke-support forums, with no reply. Yours was my last try...

I never meant to force you doing anything for me, and I feel I need to apologise if I was too demanding. this wasn't intended. I was too enthusiastic that someone can at last make my dreemy idea come true.

Sorry again... Sad

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote

As I said it was not towards you. You have contributed in the past. It just gets depressing often times when you don't get support. And then yesterday I was silenced by a major dDos. That costs too. I keep asking myself why do I stay in this? It's not for the pay, that's for sure. It's not for the sex, that's for sure. It's not for the glory. So why? Freud would probably contend it's that sado-masochistic tendancy that is inate in all of us. He's probably closer to the truth ROTFL Untuck your tail now. BTW, no one forces me to do anything, except my dear wife of 35 years Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic