Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes
jooma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote

Hi, I"ve been searching all over the place for a solution to what I figured was a common issue.

I've just installed phpNuke 7.7 (have same issue with 7.5 though) and my forums aren't working properly. I'm have a log in issue and a log out issue.

If someone comes and registers on my site, then wanders off to the forums and tries to log in, they get a white page with this error message.

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

They can then hit back on their browser and hit refresh and they are now logged in.

However now they can't log out unless they leave the page and clear their cookies.

Please help!!

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote

well i did a search on the error you get and weird thing is that the guity part in this looks like the computer..?

Try google with this..
"The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers"

jooma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Thanks this definatly looks server side. Though I'm not sure what to ask my hosts what to change.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote

I believe this has something to do with the way PHP is installed on the server.
In your case, it seems to have been compiled as a cgi app.

jooma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote

My host is easycgi.com and when asking them to look at the issue they replied this:

We were able to reproduce the error at our location, however as is our policy, we do not provide code support unless there is a direct problem with our server. We were able to verify that your account settings/ php is working correctly on your account.

Our recommendation is to contact the vendor that sold this software to you or the web developer directly in order to get further assistance. As they are familiar with the product and probably recognize what may be missing/ lacking, they are a better choice to troubleshoot this issue.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote

I still think this is the result of them compiling PHP as a cgi module - it might be normal for them but pnpNuke will not work in this environament.
Put the following in a plain text file
Code:
<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
phpinfo();

// Show just the module information.
// phpinfo(8) yields identical results.
phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);

?>

and save it to your webspace as phpinfo.php
then post me a link here so I can take a look.

jooma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote

Ok now I know this is wrong.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

After seeing the same error here I thought it was messed up so I ran it off my [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and it worked fine.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote

good host...lol

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote

That confirms my suspiciouns beyond doubt.
You will either have to use another CMS or change hosts Sad

jooma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote

They're a little more co-operative now that I've asked for a refund. Here's their last reply.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may use the following URL to access the phpinfo for your server: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

We have noticed that you have not set any of your folders to Modify, as to let your script have access to make any changes to them. The install procedure for PHP-Nuke includes steps for changing file permissions. Please review the Knowledge Base Article in the Help and Support section of the control panel, under Web Site Developer Information, titles File and Folder Permissions, to ensure that they are set correctly for your scripts, as we do not have write access enabled for your folders by default. This may mainly affect your Upload directories.

If you still wish to cancel your account, you may do so in the control panel, under User Services.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which file permissions should be changed for this and do you think there may be an issue with my paths in my preferences of phpnuke or the forums vrs how they have me set up?

Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote

but what has this to do with folder permissions?
Why dont you just go to raven...?..just a thought...

jooma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote

My host said they looked into the issue further and notice I'm trying to call for the file modules.php from within the modules/forums/ folder and the file doesn't exist and that's why I"m getting that error. So I went into login.php and searched for modules.php and found it at line 14

Header("Location: modules.php?name=Your_Account&redirect=$forward_page");
$username = ( $userdata['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $userdata['username'] : '';

I don't know php very well at all. Is it possible that I'm calling the header somewhere else and it's ignoring this duplicate or perhaps an issue with the pathing. I would assume that this Header(); function is supposed to call from my root directory but for some reason it's not.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

no,..i dont know why this should happen.
The url itself is correct.
And the paths inside your website should also be ok.
But you tried it local and there wasnt any problem?

If you havent touched anything and if its a clean install then i believe its a problem at the server..but not sure..

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Wouldnt it be easier to just ask your host if they are using php compiled as a cgi module?
If they respond 'yes' then you know phpNuke will not work with this host.

anatinus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am having the same problem.
I am new to php-nuke and so I could be at blame, but I am getting the same error message when I attempt to get to my admin.php file as per the installation instructions.
"CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:"
I am also with easycgi.com so I was wondering if you came to a conclusion with what to ask them to do or if I need to find a new host.
Cheers.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote

This error stems from your hosting serving compiling PHP as a CGI module - phpNuke will not work like this.
Your probably only *fix* is to change hosts.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote

yeah a host that works that way doesnt deserves your money,but ehh i know some alternatives...lol

jooma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:55 am Reply with quote

Hello anatinus

I got busy and didn't have time to continue arguing about the problem with the easycgi.com support. They won't refund the money I paid for the site and of course I paid the full year up front to save money.

Here was my last response from their support.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How did you install phpBB? Did you use our control panel, or did you upload
a copy of the software to the server?

The existing phpBB installation is not set up correctly. It references non-existent files. Here is an example of such a call (happens when you login from the main forum page with a valid forum account).
The file "modules.php" exists under the main web site and not under the
"/modules/Forums/" directory.

It might be possible to fix this issue by changing a path in the preferences
of your phpBB installation. Please check the phpBB documentation for
further help.

We offer a prebuilt phpBB installation and recommend that you use that one, as it has been tested on our environment.

If you login to the Easy CGI control panel, under Web Site/Domain Management, thecclonline.com, there is a section called Script Installation. The last item in that section is phpBB2 Message Board. Please use the automated installation in your control panel in order to set up phpBB2.

Before you do this, you should remove all custom configuration that you have previously done in order to install phpBB2. Please let us know if you run into any problems.

--
Nayden Naydenov

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can PM me your email address I wouldn't mind teaming up so to speak with our emails to show them that 2 people have the same problem and hopefully they'll agree to look closer on their side.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote

I think they are getting confused between an installation of the phpBB standalone forum and the installation of phpNuke - obviously they didnt read your support enquiry very well Wink

hitwalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote

My vote ....
Change host...

Dove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Similiar happened to me but it I believe it was
because the host was using Windows IIS (same as Jooma above).

What fixed it for me was in
modules/your_account - index.php
changing where it says under-->>
Finish new user
Code:
Header("Location: modules.php?name=$module_name"); 

to
Code:
 Header("Refresh: 0;url=modules.php?name=$module_name");

which causes the "refresh."

^^ brings up the old login issue with Win IIS & Nuke Wink

I only needed to change the "finish new user" one, but you may have to change more Header("Location: TO Header("Refresh: 0;url=

If I remember correctly I think it was also happening when you go to approve news that someone has submitted & that same fix worked.

There is a little info on it at Microsoft-->
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884764
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;145661

... hope this helps some Smile

It was/is a Nuke 7.6 patch 3.1 ->Windows IIS & Php5 (double wham) Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes

View next topic
View previous topic