Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote

VinDSL wrote:
Raven wrote:
Do you have a file called .htaccess in your nuke root directory with permissions of 777?

Hrm... is this for testing purposes? I set mine to octal 644 as an added measure of security.
If you use NukeSentinel to update your .htaccess you need to have perms at 666 or 777.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote

VinDSL wrote:
Raven wrote:
My guess is that your host does not allow you to use all of the commands that are in there...
Raven wrote:
It's very possible that they don't allow you to use .htaccess...

Believe it or not, there are quite a few hosts that don't allow .htaccess on shared servers... ROTFL
That may be, but in my travels I have only come across a few. Regardless, it seems that that is more than likely the issue here.

Tethra
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote

I contacted my host regarding all of this and this was there response:
Quote:
what are you trying to set in the htaccess file.

if it is php_value type commands, you can not set them in the htaccess file, those should be set via a php.ini file.

I am seeing you using chmod 777 for the .htaccess file. All .htaccess files shoudl be 644 not 777 as php+suEXEC will not allow anything 777 to run for security reasons.

Is there anything I can do using the php.ini file, or should I just give up all together on using sentinel?

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Are you allowed to have an individual php.ini file? If so, then that will work. As to the permissions on .htaccess, write them back and tell them that you need an exception on that because you are installing a security package that has to dynamically write to the .htaccess file.

Tethra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote

OK, I will contact them about the permissions. I have the php.ini file now so just let me know what i need to do. If they say that I cant have the exception is there anything else that can be done?

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote

Actually, you weren't issuing any php_value commands (it just dawned on me). Tell them you were simply setting up basic Authentication. But, it could have been the perms. Since you were receiving the 500 error even when the .htaccess file was empty, try using an empty .htaccess file with perms of 644. If it still err's out with an empty file set at 644, then they have something set up wrong.

Tethra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote

I still get the 500 error with the empty file. What is wierd tho is that there was a htaccess file in my root b4 i uploaded sentinel. The only time it errs is when i put the file path into sentinel admin. Is there another way to do all of this? I really want to get this to work where I am protected.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote

And so you're saying that if you have an empty .htaccess file and you don't have the path in NukeSentinel, it doesn't err out?

Tethra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Yea it doesnt err out until I put the path into sentinel. Could there be something else wrong?

BobMarion
Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote

What version of nuke and nukesentinel are you using?

What path are you using for the htaccess file? Change it to just .htaccess and see if it still errors.

What ip are you tring to write to the htaccess file as it maybe the ip of your server in whivch case it would error because it won't allow it's self to get in.

Tethra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Phpnuke 7.5 patched to 2.9 pbpbb 2.0.15 Sentinel 2.3.0
I am using the full path to the htaccess file. I tried just using .htaccess in the file but that still errs out. As of right now there are no ip's in the htaccess file. Perhaps this has been the problem the whole time? I didnt know that I had to add a ip to the htaccess file.

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote

You don't. NukeSentinel will add it. Have you tried just .htaccess with perms of 644?

Dauthus
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Tethra wrote:
This is what I am getting when I put either /home2/**admin/public_html/.htaccess or just .htaccess in the field

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Port 80
[/b]

I would like to interject a little here. I received this exact same error (but with a different path) when I did not have the correct path entered for my htaccess file. Double and triple check the path. Could it be something like:

/home2/**admin/public_html/home/.htaccess

or

/home2/**admin/public_html/portal/.htaccess

or something like that?

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote

We are all thinking the same thing Smile. But, .htaccess should always work.

Tethra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote

I did as Dauthus recomended and double checked the path for my htaccess file. I have the right path. At this point, Raven if you were willing to take a look for yourself I would be willing to give you access. Let me know what you think

Thanks to everyone at this point who has helped.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic