Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
paranor
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:02 am Reply with quote

anyone have a good recommendation of a program that creates avatars out of jpg files?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:38 am Reply with quote

Not sure what you're after here. An avatar is just a gif or jpg file. If you are after a program to do conversions from 1 picture type to another, I use irfanview. It's free and an excellect program. Been using it for years. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

paranor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 am Reply with quote

But isn't an Avatar a specific size?

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:30 am Reply with quote

Only if you want it to be. There may be a pseudo standard, but nuke allows you to upload whatever you want. Irfanview allows you to set the size.

18-delta
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:30 pm Reply with quote

while we are on this topic. my forum admin panel isnt restricting avatar size, i already have a user blowing the limit. what file in nuke do i need to hunt down to set the max avatar size?

paranor, to add to Raven's post, just about any grapihcs program will allow you to set the working size of an image. Even MS paint in Windows will allow you to resize. As a note, I use Paint Shop Pro for my graphics. Which I have found so far only to be limited by my knowledge of the program.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:22 pm Reply with quote

These 2 settings aren't working? I've never come across that before.

Maximum Avatar File Size
For uploaded avatar files Bytes

Maximum Avatar Dimensions
(Height x Width in pixels)

18-delta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:38 pm Reply with quote

yup, on both accounts. file size and HxW. I have nuke setup so that all my avatars are controlled through nuke and not the forum per-say. I ran across the code somewhere but I obviously don't remeber the file in which it is contained. I will hunt around for it and get back to you.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Ah. Custom code job. Ok.

Saint66

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote

what do i need to make football helmet avatars?

VinDSL
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

Location: Arizona (USA) Admin: NukeCops.com Admin: Disipal Designs Admin: Lenon.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
...I use irfanview. It's free and an excellect program. Been using it for years. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

OMG! That's scarry! Another 'Ironman' (as we call it) fan...

I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 Anniversary for most of my graphic work, but Ironman is a great proggie too! Personally, I consider it more of an ACDSee replacement, but that's just me... Wink

As far as avatars, and so forth, are concerned, I do 99% of my graphics in PNG format these days. Ironman and PSP both do a nice job of making/converting PNGs!

VinDSL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote

18-delta wrote:
while we are on this topic. my forum admin panel isnt restricting avatar size, i already have a user blowing the limit. what file in nuke do i need to hunt down to set the max avatar size?

If avatar size isn't being restricted, it might be because they are remote avatars. AFAIK, Nuke can only restrict the size of avatars uploaded to the server. I've had to warn some users about this on (ahem) another site...

EDIT: I ventured over to your site. In this thread, there are several (what I consider) 'oversized' avatars:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

If you right-click the avatars, and check their properties, you will see they are, indeed, remote avatars... Wink

Last edited by VinDSL on Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total 
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote

What scares me is that Vin is responding to posts from 2003. Is this a new way to bump up the old post count ROTFL ?

VinDSL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote

LoL! Saint66 was the instigator... Dance-Y

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic