Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Randomizer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for a mod which I can use as a
"Under Construction" mod.

Anyone knows where I can download?

//Randomizer

m-weisel2
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Me too I want one where u can enable it in the admin menu so when you request a page through modules.php or index.php it shows the page until I disable it in the admin panel. that would be great.

max

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote

I do not understand why such a thing is needed.

Simply keep the module invisible or deactivated until it is done.

m-weisel2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote

what if your changing everything on your site you could have one so it only shows up to admins so if you say make a theme u can make sure it all works before displaying everything. Also please only post here if you have something to help your post does ntohing for us.

m-weisel2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote

plus how do you know it is just a module and it also might be the module in the home or the main part of the site like forums.

CurtisH
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Like 64bitguy just said... you can either make the module inactive or just set it so that only admins can view it. You did realize that was a module option already available in PHP-Nuke, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote

yes but say your site is all about forums and you need to mod it if you mak it invisible there is no point to the site so you would rather it be under construction and like my other post please only post if you can help don't just make us try to change what we are looking for.

Max

CurtisH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote

Excuse me? I am not trying to change anything.... I was merely trying to help you by offering you a suggestion. On that note, go back and read your first post again and then you might see why I responded with my suggestion. Only now, six posts later do we actually have all of the facts and important details regarding your needs. Next time you post a help request please try to include all of the details so that we may better help you without having to take a somewhat smart aleck reply when we take time out of our busy day to try to help you for absolutely no charge. Smile

Now..on to your request

If the forums are all that your site is about and you need to disable them temporarily, you could modify the main nuke language file so that instead of it saying "This module isn't active" It could say "This section is currently under developement, please check back later" or something like that. That way you could deactivate the module to work on it and only admins would be able to see it, all others would get your "under construction" message.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it is offered to you merely as an option. I checked around a bit and didn't see any add ons for Nuke that would do exactly what you are looking for.

m-weisel2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote

in php-fusion there is a file called maintenance.php and if you set it as home all pages say under construction like that.

Max

CurtisH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Hmm... I wonder if it could be modified to work with nuke. Do you have a copy of that file?

64bitguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote

m-weisel2 wrote:
yes but say your site is all about forums and you need to mod it if you mak it invisible there is no point to the site so you would rather it be under construction and like my other post please only post if you can help don't just make us try to change what we are looking for.

Max

m-weisel2, please be courteous to the people at Raven's, especially those that ARE in fact trying to help. People that are trying to help don't take kindly to being told where not to post, especially when those people are forum moderators.... anyway...I hope I have said enough about that.

If your site is all about forums and you need to modify it (IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM) you must make that module inactive WHILE you make those modifications anyway.

The reason being is that if you have a user in there while you are working on it, you could potentially corrupt your database and trash your site. Remember, nuke permissions, user sessions and cookies are all relational.

If you are working on a substantial update that affects your site globally (like table updates, home page module upgrades) In NukeSentinel, there is also a feature to disable your site and display a public message. As an administrator, you will still have 100% access, but users will be moved out of the domain until you re-activate it.

This is there specifically to allow you to perform updates/upgrades without corrupting your database, while delivering a message to your users of your choosing like, "We're performing upgrades and will be back at xyz".

m-weisel2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote

how can I do that public message thing I just have phpnuke 7.8 is there anyway I can do what the nukesentenial thing does but on my site or would I have to upgrade cause I don't really want to do that unless everything I have now still works like the modules from phpnuke 7.8 including the advertising one.

Max

PS: sorry for the posts it was just anoying cause I would get the email that someone replied and get excited only for it to be trashed by an answer that isn't what I want.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote

If you are running 7.8 WITHOUT NukeSentinel, you are at EXTREME risk! And I do mean extreme!

Even with NukeSentinel, 7.8 is has some serious security issues, but I couldn't imagine running ANY Nuke site without a security add-on. NukeSentinel (IMHO) being the best of those solutions.

To answer your question, as far as I know, "Protector" and "NukeSentinel" are the only two solutions to offer this feature.

m-weisel2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote

k cause I used to have the patch by chaserv but the nI upgraded also will these nuke sentinal have the same modules and admin stuff as 7.8 or at least the old ones are there and still work at least the banners one from 7.8. Also do I have to get different modules or can I keep the old modules and blocks.

Max

64bitguy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote

NukeSentinel is a Nuke Security Module. It is not a nuke supplimental set of files or modification of your code files, it is an add-on security solution.

For information please review the NukeSentinel Manual.

You can download the latest version of NukeSentinel from NukeScripts Network at: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

While it is intended for Nuke Versions through 7.7, there are no changes to 7.8 that prevent installation with that version, though 7.7 and 7.8 are widely considered to be non-secure and not ready for production website use distributions.

m-weisel2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote

I only upgraded cause of the great advertising program.

Randomizer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote

I only wan't a module which I can deactivate or activate in the adminpanel.
When the module is active the site is closed or "Under Construction" and
the visitors can't reach anything on the site.

This shouldn't be a big issue...

Thx for your help.

//Randomizer

CurtisH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:08 am Reply with quote

Randomizer wrote:
I only wan't a module which I can deactivate or activate in the adminpanel.
When the module is active the site is closed or "Under Construction" and
the visitors can't reach anything on the site.

This shouldn't be a big issue...

Thx for your help.

//Randomizer

Install Sentinel. When you need to disable the site you can do so by toggling the site enable switch and only admins can view the site while it is disabled. Everyone else will get a polite "The site is temporarily closed" message.

Randomizer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote

Ok folks,
It seems that I have to use Sentinel to get what I want.
Thanks for your opinions.

By the way, using version 7.8 is a BIG security risk...

//Randomizer

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote

Admin Secure also offers a site maintenance function, but none of these offers module level control. Sounds like a nice modification to the modules functionality to have a new module status or "visible to" selection of "maintenance". With all the custom modules blocks / menu / navigation functions looking at the status, it would be easier use a new "visible to" selection than a module status. Instead of displaying not authorized, it would display a maintenance message to anyone other than admins. Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic