Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
scott11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote

well can you help out the new guy/girl on the block?

Do we have to upload the htaccess file and the stacces file with changes? This is where i got in trouble last time i tried to give my site some form of protection

Thank you

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote

Some basic questions:

When used with NukeSentinel, these files are used to provide HTTP Admin Authentication. Do you already these files installed? Are you installing NukeSentinel for the first time? What version? Are you running Nuke on an Apache server?

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote

Yes DoS attacks are making the web host to ban a range of IP's

THis is the first time installing sentinal, php-nuke 7-5 with 2.9 patched. i have phpmyadmin and phpBB 2.1.10

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote

So the host added an htaccess? If so, you can add the htaccess from NukeSentinel to that.

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote

If we do not add the htaaccess or the stacces does it lessen the protection of the site. Last time i tried this installation I screwed up royally.

Last install everything went went except I wasnt able to change some of the features in the sentianl panel its just reverted back to the original configurations that were installed

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote

In my opinion, using HTTP admin authentication is critical to properly securing your site. But, you should be able to configure that from NukeSentinel with later versions.

If you weren't able to save changes to the configuration, most likely the tables weren't set up correctly. Make sure you follow the installation instructions carefully, and post on this site if you have questions after reviewing the online manual.

steveh552

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote

When I added the HTACCESS file, it did not let me back into my admin.php. Not sure why that was.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote

Probably was looking for an staccess file it couldn't find, or had a user / pw that you didn't know / use.

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Just 2more questions before I start with this install again. Should I just copy over the htaccess file in the root directory, or copy it to the existing?? I was reading in these forums about a "-a" this is where i screwed up.

Should just upload to htacess in root?
Should just upload to root staccess?

thanks

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote

If you overwrite the htaccess, you will lose the protection your host set up. You should be able to add the NukeSentinel htaccess to the end of the existing htaccess already on your server.

You should be able to upload staccess, though I don't remember where you should put it. Depending on where you put it, you might need to change something in htaccess or in the NukeSentinel configuration.

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Well thats strike 3 for me...

I d/l fresh copies of Sentinal and patched 3.0. I uploaded the (patched 3.0) sql file thru phpmyadmin that was sucessful. So I changed the config file to match the existing and uploaded the rest of the the Patched files. Completed that and the site has a blank page along with a blank page on the admin side. Any help please.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Check the installation instructions for the patch. You might need to modify some files, especially to get the admin functions to work correctly. I'm sure you have to modify files for NukeSentinel to work, but do that after any patch modifications.

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Funny this is there were not any DOC folder or Install File with the d/l that I got when i d/l. ANd thios was just the Patched 3.0, didnt even get to screww up my site with the Sentinal Program yet Wink

edit: well wait I cant say that I did the first time around

error,
Quote:
[06-Jun-2005 20:09:35] PHP Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in ///public_html/header.php on line 53

Last edited by scott11 on Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total 
kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I checked the 3.0B download for 7.5, and it doesn't appear to require changes. However, if you had changes before (e.g. NukeSentinel) you might need to make them again.

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote

sorry you got to my post prior to the edit. .

Quote:
[06-Jun-2005 20:09:35] PHP Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in ///public_html/header.php on line 53

I didnt make any changes at all

from header.php

Quote:
online();
head();
include("includes/counter.php");
global $home;
if(defined("HOME_FILE") {
message_box();
blocks(Center);
}

?>

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Code:
if(defined("HOME_FILE") { 

Should be:
Code:
if(defined("HOME_FILE")) { 

Note the extra parenthesis after HOME_FILE.

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Thank You!

Didnt know this lingo works off of basic english proper grammer Cool

Just earned yourself a donation.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Thank you. Raven makes this all possible, and I've learned much from him. Donations help Raven keep this site going, and we all appreciate that.
RavensScripts

scott11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Now onto Sentinal AGAIN...

Your Welcome

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote

You will definitely need to modify some Nuke files to get Sentinel working. The instructions are pretty clear, and the user manual provides additional information for installing and configuring NukeSentinel.

scott11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote

i didnt install the staccess file yet ok wait i did but i got locked out of the site so the web host needed to reset the passwords. ill hold off on that file for the time being.

the donat-o-meter cause a fatal error so i removed that and then reinstalled it witha frewsh copy. are we suppose to change the config to config.inc in the ipn folder cause when i did that it checked out ok.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote

Yes - NukeTreasury was designed so that the tables that support it could be installed in a different database for security reasons, thus the additional configuration.

You can name the htaccess password file something different for NukeSentinel to use HTTP admin authentication as long as you specify that in the NukeSentinel configuration (and / or change the htaccess file accordingly).

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote

Also, read the installation instructions for NukeTreasury carefully, too. It's important to configure your account on PayPal so that it properly records donations in NukeTreasury. There are many posts here and on the NukeTreasury support site at SourceForge.net that provide answers to questions about issues configuring it.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote

scott11, you can have HTTP Authentication without using the .htaccess and .staccess. Our documentation on this needs more detail. To set up HTTP Authentication w/o uploading those 2 files, do this.

- Do NOT upload .htaccess or .staccess
- If you already have a .htaccess file, make sure that the permissions are set to 666 or 777 and that it does NOT have the code from NukeSentinel (tm) in it. If you do not have a .htaccess file, then create a file in your text editor called htaccess.txt with 1 blank line. Note that there is no . - windows doesn't accept a filename starting with a dot. FTP htaccess.txt to your main nuke folder. Rename it to .htaccess and make sure that the permissions are set to 666 or 777.
- Make sure you are logged in as a God admin
- Select Scan for New Admins from NS Main Menu
- Select Admin Auth List from NS Main Menu
- Edit each admin and assign them a password
- Select NukeSentinel(tm) Administration from Main Menu
- In htaccess Path: type .htaccess
- Under Administrative Settings, select Admin HTTPAuth
- Admin access is now protected

Now, if you cannot select HTTPAuth, then you will need to do the .htaccess and .staccess method. Let us know how this turns out.

steveh552

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:52 am Reply with quote

How do you scan for new admin? It wont let me click on it, and I am a "Super User" on my nuke 7.5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic