Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's
blith
Client

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:20 pm Reply with quote

just load it up on your site or can it be viewed in action another way? I am trying to develop something but I want to test it without it being on my site proper... thanks.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:14 pm Reply with quote

I have at least 6 test sites set up. Some on my local machine and some on my host machine. I'd think you'd want to do the same.

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:41 pm Reply with quote

6 nuke test sites yikes! You are obviousy nuke obsessed. Wink

For me, nuke sites are like rabbits, and each manifestation is slightly better than the last.

It depends on how busy your site is of course, but one thing I did before I had multiple nuked sites was put up the module/block I was testing as accessible for administrators only. If there were going to be page errors the users wouldn't see them, most times. This method was handy for quick mods or installs and of course, I always had a backup before I changed anything.

blith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:30 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I have at least 6 test sites set up. Some on my local machine and some on my host machine. I'd think you'd want to do the same.
Cool! So now how do I do that? Embarassed I mean pathing and such... I promise someday I won't need to ask so many questions... but hey, maybe someone else is learning from my questions also... Very Happy

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:37 am Reply with quote

Install Apache, MySQL, and PHP on your windows machine. Do your proof and testing there. Then load them to your production box.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (Use v1.3.29) [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

blith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Thank you very much! This is a great info for beginners like me... Very Happy

devo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Raven...... I dont want to take up too much time by asking the impossible here..... how easy is it to set up a "local" server, I really didnt know you could set one up just for local testing, that would be cool!!! is there a site you recomend for setting up for dummies or the likes.... Wink or is it an out of the box sort of solution, I see you rec apache 1.329, any reason not to use v2 please? thanks I know you are busy, so if you found or anyone else knows of a site to visit to set this up for win 98SE, can you let us know.

TIA

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:15 am Reply with quote

On Windows? It's really quite easy. You can download the components as I stated above or you can look at some free open source solutions that package them all and install them. I would do the individual packages if I were you.

I had been running Apache 2 for quite a while but with the last 2 PHP releases I had to remove it. It wasn't worth trying to figure out why they aren't compatible - they just aren't. Stick with 1.

devo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:26 am Reply with quote

once again, thanks heaps...... nice work Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's

View next topic
View previous topic