Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Ive been looking around to see what it all offers but its a big swamp to me..
i see different sites offering it without giving any clue who is the original author of it all.

as to gt-nextgen.com,that hasnt been updated sinds june 2004,and that last version was a beta.
so is there a new version somewhere ?

And whats the difference between the nextgen's nice urls and the ones produced by the mambo hack ?

Cause it looks to me the nextgen's is a huge pack and takes a year to install,but the mambo hack is done in a few seconds and is a few kb .

So can anyone shed a light on this...?

djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Everyone has some sort of SEF (Search Engine Friendly) system.
Each system has his benefits and some don't.

gt-NG and gt are the worst of them all, yet you can't live without them.

It needs a huge explanation why some are bad and some don't, but for most people it's complicated to understand when they read it so i will wait till i found a good way to tell it.

Either way gt-NG does the work where it's designed for and the SE's still love it.
You can't compare the Mambo version with the PHP-Nuke version because they are way to different.

To my knowledge there's a newer version but since i don't use it, i can't tell you where it is (maybe Raven or Chatserv knows)

gt-NG is easy to install and doesn't require any other knowledge then to RTFM

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote

well i do believe it cost resources ....
but i also read a lot of problems with it and im not looking for that..
i think its probably a good thing for forums but not for casual sites like most people have.
another point is updates of blocks mods and whatever that keeps you busy for the rest of your life cause that never stops.
imagine when theres a newer nuke version,then things start over again.....
but weird is ,is that i see the stuff offered on a few sites and that can be confusing for ophers...

djmaze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Yes gt-NG does take a lot of your resources and when someone add, creates, builts or modifies a module/block you must edit gt-NG as well.

As i said it's the worst and not adviced but it does what it should do and PHP-Nukers have no alternative.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote

well i was thinking about it but after reading some stuff i trashed the idea...lol

djmaze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Yeah you must built a "HW-Nuke" or something to get it properly going.
We named it something else Razz

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote

By adding corresponding lines in header.php (the 'from-to' url) and mod_rewrite (the 'to-from' url) in .htaccess, the magic is done. The initial setup can be time consuming but the resource usage is really negligible to speak of. The later 'nextgen' version took all the rewriting from header.php and placed it in each of the modules so that header did not have to parse all instructions for all modules, thus, reducing overhead even more. Bill has dropped off the face of the earth. He contacted me a few months or so ago and asked me to let everyone know that he would be back w/i a week. He never came back. Don't know what or why. Is it worth it? Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, yes. At least until something better comes along.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:35 am Reply with quote

well maybe to try it on the testsite first but where the heck do i download the proper gt-NG ?

CurtisH
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:25 am Reply with quote

Yes, could someone post a link to the most current version

Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:38 am Reply with quote

The most recent version(0.4a) only makes a few changes to the gt-nextgen0.4 and you must have 0.4 already installed(or available) to use the newest version 0.4a.

get them both at the nextgen site, [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:36 am Reply with quote

yeah thats great...
however the latest version is from 15-Jun-2004 and just beta.
and your warned for bugs...
you must be a complete idiot if you install that....

CurtisH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote

I just installed it on my site yesterday, within 30 minutes I was being indexed by over 400 inktomi and google bots on all of the pages that I tapped. Within 3 hours I had 47 hits from about 32 first and second page listings on google which resulted in many new member requests. I have never gotten this much traffic from google. I may be a complete idiot but wow, I sure am enjoying all of the attention! *LOL*

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:21 am Reply with quote

good for you.....

CurtisH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote

Sarcasm duly noted. I was actually replying for the benefit of others. No offense intended towards you my friend. Cheers

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote

that wasnt sarcasm CH.
i just dont like the negative parts on installing and having it....
when it comes as a mod ,and i have to include 1 single line then maybe then il try it .......Smile
but i have to much running and making it all compatible with gt isnt a funny idea ...

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote

The best solution is for phpnuke to be distributed SEO. But, since the chances of hell freezing over are a better bet .... ROTFL

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote

@ hitwalker GT Next Gen isn´t a quarantee for top position, but you should try GT.
To optimize a php-nuke site is a never ending story and of course GT Next Gen is only one way. Very Happy

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote

yeah i knw,but i guess they did a smart job with mambo.
that produces nice urls as well and whatever new stuff you ad to it ,it always looks good..
but gt doesnt do that...

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Wordpress produces also nice urls and this in seconds.
For Mambo I downloaded xaenon-extensions but it´s a beta vers. and I´still haven´ t time for my Mambo site.

Maybe that GT not works with all your modules. But a mix is also possible.

Last edited by Susann on Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote

That's exactly what GT does. It takes a complex url and makes it into whatever kind of 'nice' that you want. It is a manual add to header.php and .htaccess but that is what it does.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote

well the idea behind it is ok,but it is weird...we all run php sites and we do our best to end up with ....html extensions..

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote

If you can choose 100 visitors or 1000 daily so what would you prefer ?
I did´t found my articles in the search engines with .php in the top 10, so that was also a reason to use GT and indeed, it works good. Very Happy

Last edited by Susann on Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total 
hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote

well i rather have 10 good members then 1000 a day that just visit.
google is getting tougher by the day.
huge companies are ignored by google now because of all the links that are most of the times the same.
point realy .....we run a website and im not in some kind of race to be number whatever in a ranking list.

it all depends on what you expect susann.
if you use google adsense ,then google crawls your website and picks up the needed keywords.
those same keywords are used in searches as well.

funny detail is ,when you are looking for a phpnuke database and realy type that you get me on the first place.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote

And when you type "quality phpnuke support" you get me on first place. What does that have to do with anything? Google crawls your site whether or not you use adsense and whether or not you use "friendly" urls.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote

oh but i know all that,it wasnt my point that we were better of using a gt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic