Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Religion - General
paranor
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote

I'm thinking of donating to the Thomas More Law Center and that got me to thinking of any other good organizations or if there are some I should stay away from. Anyone?

Muffin
Client

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:58 am Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't donate to any at all, religious or otherwise. Mainly cos I dont have that much spare cash being a carer and not being able to work at all.

It's really a personal thing I suppose, all you can do is read up on any that interest you and judge if you feel they are the ones you want to donate to.

If I won the Lottery I'd love to give to the Sudan appeal and Bangladesh right now as they are suffering out there, one with civil war and terrible crimes to men women and children and the other because of the floods out there.

I think I'd donate more to Aid charities than religious ones, not because I dont think the religious ones are worthy, but if I could afford to help fellow man to survive then I personally feel that would be more appropriate for me.

Last edited by Muffin on Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total 
paranor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:07 am Reply with quote

Muffin wrote:
I think I'd donate more to Aid charities than religious ones, not because I dont think the religious ones are worthy, but if I could afford to help fellow man to survive then I personally feel that would be more appropriate for me.

Never though of picking by type. For a while now I'm getting into religionn and politics - basically anything that goes against the ACLU. Smile

HauntedWebby
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quote

paranor wrote:

Never though of picking by type. For a while now I'm getting into religionn and politics - basically anything that goes against the ACLU. Smile

I take it you don't like the ACLU Laughing

While they take every extreme and on a regular bases condrict themselves many of the things we take for granted these days. They were able to get most of the Comstock law repealed so we can have birth control today. Since I don't like to be around kids this was a good thing Smile I don't care for many of the things they do and I'm of the opinion that most lawyers should be shot to save the world .. they have their purpose.

Anyway .. to your original question. Have you ever thought about donating to a need family directly instead of an organization that takes 80% of the donation for themselves? It takes a little bit of spying on people. But I've watched families in my neighborhood and when they seem to be in need I just leave a present on their doorstep. One family I noticed the kids where always eating PB&J sandwiches. I was thinking man they sure like them. I was talking to their neighbor and we started talking about how much the kids like PB&J, then I found out that the husband had just left the family, the wife hadn't worked a job in 12 years and was having a hard time finding one with no applicable skills and 5 kids to support the youngest was 3 at the time. Several times when I went grocery shopping I just bought a little extra and would leave it on her door step so she'd find it in the morning. On one of my adventures the neighbor I had talked to caught me. I still wonder what she was doing up at 3am Laughing .. anyway next thing I know I see a milk service that most of us use start to stop by. More neighbors started to pitch in. Next thing you know the kids are looking healthy, the mom has a job because people was leaving her job applications for places they knew would hire her. This was 6 years ago. Now the mom is vice chair of the neighborhood council. Has gone back to school, has a great job. Her house is the most beautiful in the neighborhood. She helps many people in need in the neighborhood.

Now I love to tell this story because I had direct involvement with it. It has started a great chain reaction that has made the neighborhood I live in super great! All this because I spent an extra $20 bucks when I went grocery shopping and a family was able to make through hard time. Invest in your neighborhood. It’s the best donation you’ll ever make! Start a annual contest for best kept yard with whatever you was thinking of giving an organization. Throw a block party so your neighbors can get to know each other better. Help someone close that just needs a little push but doesn’t know how to ask.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:56 am Reply with quote

You bring up a good point in how much the charity uses the money versus how much is spent on administrative costs. I do "try" to use only charities that have low administrative costs.

And yes I hate the ACLU. Smile

Your story on helpingt the neighborhoood family is very touching. It shows exactly that all it takes is a little help from neighbors when things are down. What I do through church is sponsor families for back-to-school, christmas, etc.

Muffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I do "try" to use only charities that have low administrative costs

I didn't know there were any lol

GorillaBoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Haunted Webby, even though I read in another thread you are atheist, you have done what the scripture commands us to do. (Exodus 22:22, Deuteronomy 10:18;16:11; 16:14; 24:19-21; 26:!3)
"At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.
(Deuteronomy 14:28-29 KJV)"
This is the scriptural way of "paying tithes" tihes were never meant to be brought to the church! They were to go to the levites who have no enheritance, to the fatherless, the widows, and to the stranger.
Paranor, if you want to donate to a good orginization (I am sure there are some somewhere) may God lead you to one who uses it the way it should be. Otherwise I would recomend you do just as Haunted Webby did. Find someone in need, find someone who needs clothes and buy them clothes, feed the hungry. "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
(Matthew 25:35-36 KJV)"

God speed!

amber222
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote

Has everybody heard of modestneeds.com? People post their urgent needs and they are checked out. As a member, you donate whatever and whenever you can, or you can "adopt a request." If you can't donate cash, you can add a link to your website.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
In March 2002, Modest Needs was founded by Keith Taylor, who created Modest Needs as his way of repaying the many small kindnesses that others had shown to him.

On the original site, he pledged to give away 10% of his gross monthly income as a teacher - $350.00 - to help people with small, unexpected expenses and nowhere else to turn, no questions asked. He raised the money to honor his pledge by selling most of what he owned.

Most of Modest Needs' requests for help can be resolved only through small grants. This is one reason your small change makes a world of difference - Modest Needs.

HauntedWebby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote

GorillaBoy wrote:
Haunted Webby, even though I read in another thread you are atheist, you have done what the scripture commands us to do.

I'm an atheist??? really??!? I didn't know that Wink Actually I'm not atheist, I'm non-denimational .. or how ever it's spelled. I think all religious organizations have become corrupt and no longer teach the true meaning of God. They are too busy trying to make you afraid of them or other religions, instead of embracing the joy and blessings of being spiritual.

Shenphen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote

When I wanted to help people in India, about 15 years ago, I became very suspicious about the usage of my money. I solved the problem by setting up my own humanitarian organization, without office cost or any salary. That way, I know the money people donate goes straight to where it is needed!
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Donovan
Client

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote

I will never give to any charity or religous organization. I feel better giving $20 to a homeless person on the street than to give to an organization that pays it's top management $500K a year salary with all expenses paid.

Case in point United Way and BennyHinn Ministeries.

All I have to say is "Not on my dime!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Religion - General

View next topic
View previous topic