Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's Collapsing Forums Block
ring_c
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote

A. What are these settings for? I've tried playing with the first one, but couldn't notice any change.

Code:
$Count_Topics     = 0;

$Topic_Buffer     = '';

B. Is there an updated block, like the one in Raven's main page, with all the additional links, and the XML addition?

C. Is there a way I can exclude a read-for-all-forum from being shown in that block, somehow?

D. How could I move the hide/show button to the upper side of the block, so the information in the block could use the whole page width?

E. Is there a way to make the block remember its last position (show/hide) even after the refresh button is being hit?

F. Is there a way to let the user decide how many lines he wants to see?

G. Can I force the block to stay in show mode all times?

TIA!

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:02 am Reply with quote

Can you say "Donation" ROTFL

A. $Count_Topics will limit the number of posts that will be listed in a given topic. In other words, let's say that you had a topic area for Movies and people were posting many topics. So, you could put an arbitray number in there, like 5, and all topic areas would then be limited to no more than 5 posts.

B. I thought that was in the most recent one? I'll check.

C. Yes. Just limit the forum ID in the Select clause.

D. Experiment

E. Probably

F. Probably

G. Yes

I am not purposely being vague in my answers. D-G will require programming changes. I just don't have the time, right now, to look into it. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

A. $Count_Topics will limit the number of posts that will be listed in a given topic. In other words, let's say that you had a topic area for Movies and people were posting many topics. So, you could put an arbitray number in there, like 5, and all topic areas would then be limited to no more than 5 posts.

Thanks! Now, what's the $Topic_Buffer?

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

B. I thought that was in the most recent one? I'll check.

Welp, did you?

Quote:

C. Yes. Just limit the forum ID in the Select clause.

Hmmm.. Hmmm.. how (the hell) exactly?!

Quote:

D. Experiment

Could you just point to the place where it's loctaed? I failed my experiments Sad

TIA!

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

ring_c wrote:
Quote:

Thanks! Now, what's the $Topic_Buffer?
Not used/implemented

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I've just tried that. Limited to 5 topics. Yet, I have forums showing 19 out of the 50 topics shown in the block. how come?

Raven, thanks alot for all your support, I'm sure you're swamped with other queries too... thanks again!

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote

It doesn't limit the number of topics, it limits the number of replies for a given topic.

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

It doesn't limit the number of topics, it limits the number of replies for a given topic.

You mean, just for display, right? cause your block isn't realy affecting the forum module.
Also, according to your example, will it prevent topics with more than 5 replies in it, to be seen, or the oposite? I can't realy understand the need here...
Anyway, I was looking for a block to prevent more than x topics from a forum to be presented... Sad

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote

It would be site dependent. If you have a site devoted to technical subjects and you also allow a chit-chat area, there could be way more chat topics than technical. So, by setting that to, say 5, then all topics will be limited.

ring_c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
It would be site dependent. If you have a site devoted to technical subjects and you also allow a chit-chat area, there could be way more chat topics than technical. So, by setting that to, say 5, then all topics will be limited.

Sorry for being that slow, but I've done some experiments, as your previously suggested, and set the block like that:

Code:
$HideViewReadOnly = TRUE;

$Last_New_Topics  = 20;
$Count_Topics     = 2;

Yet, I can find forums shown on that block with a lot more than 2 posts!
Now, what am I missing here? Am I missing something in understanding the concept?

ring_c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote

ahhmm.. ahhmm.. would appreciate any help affordable.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote

If I get the time I will look into this. That was a hacked script I put together that had no known author and I got the code working and have enhanced it as time went on. If the variable isn't working then just don't use it Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's Collapsing Forums Block

View next topic
View previous topic