Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes
64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi Folks

As everyone probably knows, I spend a great deal of time re-writing Nuke code to make eveyone's experience better.

I have spent literally hundreds of hours fixing Nuke block and module code and have given those fixes back to the community without ever asking for anything in return, which is really the way it should be with all of us.

Today, I got some really bad news that is going to end up costing me thousands of dollars.

In an effort to raise some money, I'm offering my services to everyone in the area of theme repair.

There are more than 1000 themes (that I know about, probably more that I don't) for PHP-Nuke; however, out of all of those themes, NONE are HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS Compliant.

The result is that every page of your website has anywhere from 100 to 2500 (or more) presentation errors and is anything but fully cross-browser compliant. If you have an older Mtechnik theme for example, you may hear that Mac OS/9 Internet Explorer Users and Safari browser users can't browse your site. I can fix that.

The bottom line of non-compliance is that your site is not as fast as it could be, while it is also generating countless errors needlessly and making your site not fully cross-browser compatible. Sure, it may look okay in IE6 on your PC, but what about every other browser?

The result (beyond the above) is you also end up with full error and raw access logs and your server spends more time validating, spitting out and recording errors than it does presenting data! Even something stupid like a bad image pointer or missing graphic can affect your sites' performance and the user experience.

Remember, W3C compliance also = 100% Cross-Browser Compliance!

In an effort to raise some money, I'm offering my services to take your existing theme and to re-code it to be 100% W3C Compliant.

To see how bad your existing theme is, visit: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to test HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliance
and [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to test CSS Compliance.

NOTE: If you run NukeSentinel, you need to remove the lib-www/perl "Harverster" blocker OR you must "View souce" of your homepage, select it all, save it in an editor as "test.html" and test that file on the HTML Validator page.

Now remember, if you see 2500 errors when running this test, that is how many errors are coming up on EVERY page of your site, for every person visiting your site. Think about the impact of that for a minute.

Now run those same two tests against my domain of [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] Zero errors!

THE OFFER:
For $50.00 I will completely recode your theme. Here's how it works.

1) You send me your theme.
2) Give me a day to recode it.
3) You will then be given the ability to log into my test domain to see your recoded theme running with 100% CSS and HTML Compliance. (nobody else will see your theme, only you.)
4) If done to your satisfaction and validated as 100% W3C CSS and HTML Compliant, you pay me via my paypal link.
5) I then send you the recoded files.

Now you may be saying, $50.00 seems like a lot, especially given that you didn't pay anything for your theme, or maybe you purchased a commercial theme for less. The long and short of it is that it takes me hours to recode a theme and it works out to be between $10.00 and $12.50 an hour.

The bottom line? If I can't make your theme 100% Compliant, you don't pay and unlike most, I don't ask you to pay for the work until it is completed.

Deal Killers:
I won't try to fix some people's custom header code that can never be compliant. For example, some people try to put <BODY> functions inside the header. Sorry, but there is no way to fix that, it is against the rules of HTML coding.

Next, some people have custom fields defined in the header like "Search". Many designers defined these fields wrong when designing their .psd files (They put the button in the wrong place in the layout). Without the .psd file, I cannont fix those header problems.

In the case of the TechGFX theme for example, I simply removed the search field from the header to make the theme 100% Compliant. No biggie as it is available elsewhere anyway.

Anyone interested in taking me up on this offer should contact me via my site at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and select the W3C Compliance option.

I'm really hoping that this offer will not only help me the raise money that I need, but help others at the same time as I'm not the sort to ask for donations.

BONUS: I am also the author of the only 100% W3C Compliant scrolling/fading marquee header for PHP-Nuke. If you have a theme that has a scrolling marquee header, I will also donate my 100% Compliant replacement code and include that with your new theme code.

Thanks for reading and your help!
Steph

Last edited by 64bitguy on Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total 
Nukeum66
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote

Well I just checked your site and found

Tidy HTML Validation Result
---------------------- [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

0 error / 0 warning

So I guess you get an A++++ Laughing

Please don't check mine......... : (

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
There are more than 1000 themes (that I know about, probably more that I don't) for PHP-Nuke; however, out of all of those themes, NONE are HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS Compliant.

It `s a long, long way to validate a nuke site. I started with about 180 errors with theme deep blue. I corrected only 130 errors and it costs hours and hours.

At last I had only 5 errors and still the same result: This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional !

I found the last 5 errors in the modules block and what a wonder my start page + CSS was checked and found to be valid HTML 4.01 Transitional. Very Happy

But very strange the forums.html is still not validate. It`s a long way....
Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes

View next topic
View previous topic