Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote

I would never have known what to do. I have been banned for 2 months from nukemods.com just for selecting them in my browser's favorites and have tried to send emails to anything I can think of. No responses. Until now, I would never have known to try this proxy route. So, two things:

1) Thanks Raven for such an excellent site that gets so much traffic that questions like these actually get answered and others can now benefit too!

RavensScripts

2) There are far more people out there in the internet world that are like me who would not know about Proxies and wouldn't even know how to go about setting something like that up. I am amazed each day in my work at a company with 100,000+ employees at how many of them still barely know how to use email.

I just hate to see *newbie learners* be slapped down for something completely legitimate and them having no clue what they did wrong or how to fix the situation. You have to admit, if your mother (or grandmother for some of you) all of a sudden got that *Black screen of death*, just what would be their response?

Hey... just letting you know how I feel. Sentinel is a great product that is doing a very good thing for the Nuke world. Just wondering if there isn't something that could be "tweaked" to make this problem easier for the newbies.

Regards,
montego

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote

Ahhhh - Now Bang Head I see where you're going. Let me expend some brain cycles on this ......

ladysilver
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote

Raven, I am blonde...sometimes. Smile Smile I'm doing fine, just been busy working and trying to get caught up. This week I've finally found time to start setting up 247newsfeed.com, and trying to find time to give some new themes a last run through before release.

Yes, nukediva is one of my websites - I wanted "nukedev" since my purpose was to explore PHP-Nuke development for uses at my production sites, but it was already taken. I originally used this site to test scripts and themes I was working on for my main sites, but I've dropped PHP-Nuke from everything except 'diva, so anything I do involving PHP-Nuke is only on the 'diva site now.

As for nukediva.com, I will set something up to help those who may be inadvertently banned get in touch with me. As I said in my FAQ, it is not personal. Using proxies is a good idea - I recommend Firefox with the Switch Proxy Tool extension installed - you can program in a list of proxies and have it cycle through them as you surf.

Bluezzz, you're welcome. Again, I don't blackhole unrouteable mail so anything sent to the domain name should reach me. For nukediva, make sure you use the .com, and not the .us domain name as I have deactivated .us for the time being.

Have fun, don't take banning personally as it's usually done by script and not with malice.

P.S. I owe you a big thanks too - I can see where displaying banned IPs might cause some privacy concern for visitors to a website. While I intend to keep the scrolling Sentinel block up at my site, I will definitely add language to the site privacy policy covering the Sentinel display & recommend others give thought to this too.

Bluezzz
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote

Diva ... I would sure appreciate it if you can let us know what you come up with in the form of "set something up to help those who may be inadvertently banned get in touch with me" ... I may well follow your lead on that one. I'd even volunteer to be a guinea pig LOL.

As far as Sentinel scroll I so thank Raven for having the features for All, Admin, etc ... I gave it careful thought when I installed it on my site and I have made mine admin only ... in that respect only I see the *hackers* IPs and can determine a course of action thereafter. I also figured that not broadcasting openly that I'm using Sentinel will maybe help me catch more real hackers as they'll *think* my site unprotected muahahaha

One other thing ... I did send you an email about your site (to .com) ... hope ya got it : o}

Raven ... thanks for being such a caring human being ... you are a refreshing breath of air in an otherwise somewhat stagnant nuke world ... I can't phathom where we'd be without you and some of your staff here ... you all rock, what more can I say? Hugzzz

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote

I think its as simple as putting a graphic in the banned template with a contact email. Of course if using the htaccess bans it would also have to be added to the custom 403 page.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Well the problem with putting your actual email addy on a webpage is bots that harvest emails which could lead to massive spamming. One of my domains gets masses of such spam all because I listed my emails on all pages unknowingly.

I suppose you could do it sorta coded like
a d m i n ... AT ... m y d o m a i n . c o m
(remove extra spaces and ... and change AT to @) LOL but an

*if you feel you were banned in error* form might be better? and have the form off site, like you could even do the page on angelfire or geocities so that the ban remains in effect for your domain while you investigate.

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote

I prefer "Well scumbucket, you or someone wishing to trash your good name has violated my site. I take this very personally and am not inclined to allow your ugly face within these BYTES ever again. However, knowing that computers NEVER make mistakes and humans do, you then may have made the biggest mistake of your life here! Let's suppose for just 2 nano-cycles that someone else has sullied your good name. Please send to me your Presidential Pardon request and I will petition the board and get back to you"

The Management.

Last edited by Raven on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total 
sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote

LMAO! @ Raven

Bluezzz that was why I suggested using a graphic. But actually most people (myself included) don't take the time to use the custom error pages and there email addess is often out there on a common 404 error.

montego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote

ROTFL

ladysilver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I prefer "Well scumbucket, you or someone wishing to trash your good name has violated my site.

Raven, you are so diplomatic! Smile

My two cents: If I was not hacking and somehow triggered Sentinel's ban, I'd probably be too mortified and upset to think about copying down the webmaster's addy from the ban page, though I agree that is the easiest solution overall.

Anyway, I've added language to my privacy policy about the scrolling ban list and also set up a forwarding page for script and filter bans at ND.

Bluezzz, here is my "blonde" moment of the week (actually, the whole year so far):

I could not get my contact form to work and kept going over it trying to find what was wrong and coming up with nothing. Umm...I was uploading the wrong form. :pounds head on desk repeatedly:

BTW, I got your email & will be back in touch with you tomorrow. Take care everybody, my head hurts and I am going to lie down...

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote

LOL @ Diva ... *blonde moments* are painful, and sometimes too long lasting ... but the up side is they are well received by most for a good excuse as to why one bungled up badly ... and generally it doesn't matter whether or not you really are blonde, it's a miracle I tell ya! BTW, care to share that script?

Raven your comment is hysterical, but if I were said scumbucket not really being a scumbucket nor doing anything wrong I would be most upset by that and would likely save you the trouble of adding me to your sentinel, or in this case removing me ... I am not in advocacy here for the scumbuckets but for the *innocent* ... they and only they are my concern ... the scumbuckets can rot in Sentinel HEDOUBLETOOTHPICKS for ever and ever amen!

ladysilver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote

Bluezzz, it's not fancy - just plain html with a php mail processor. I wrote it during lunch in the car on my laptop in the campus parking lot while distracted by the security guard. That guy walks around checking parking stickers, but if you are sitting in your car when he's on rounds, he squats and tries to duckwalk to try to keep you from seeing him. I took one of the webcams out to the car to record this for posterity but didn't catch up with him today. Oh well, next time. Smile

If you want to try it, you can download it here:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I put it outside site downloads to bypass registration. No promises how long I'll leave it there, though, so if somebody happens on this message 3 months down the road, don't yell if you can't find it.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote

OK d/l hun ... thanks for sharing ... might need instructions on what to do with it tho LOL! *Needs instructions for everything* You can remove anytime ya like. I'll look it over when I get time, hopefully that'll be soon. Have a great day y'all! Hugzzz

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote

I think I'm actually going to look over those default ban pages too! Maybe do that email me button thanger we've discussed! Then at least I'll feel like I've at least made an attempt for the *10 non-sinners*.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote

OffTopic Look, we gave you the right to vote, and now you expect nice too? boxing

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote

You already are nice ... ya can't help it ... I see in there LOL hugzzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic