Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6
Bluezzz
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:56 am Reply with quote

I now see that a *new patch* is out for 7.6 ... the one I was told to d/l and install was 2.8 and I did that ... now I see here
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

that as of 2/15 there's a *new patch* 2.9

Now what? Whatz the difference between 2.8 and 2.9 and can I just get the diff files rather than going through that whole install all over? Help???

chatserv
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote

The patch includes a changes file with links to the changed code.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote

So I hafta d/l the whole patch, has that much changed from 2.8 to 2.9? Also that page says more updates to come ... should I just wait for that? Thanks for your reply!

chatserv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote

I will review what is posted in the changelog forum to make sure all is listed

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote

I've just joined NukeFixes also, gawd there's alotta forums/php sites one hasta join LOL. The change list lists 2.8 changes specifically but I have yet to find reference specifically to 2.9 changes. I did d/l the entire patch but I think rather than change all those files I'd prefer to go the manual changes if there aren't many diffs between 2.8 and 2.9 ... I could use the practice and it will help me to know what is being changed and why. Thanks for your time and I'll see you at NukeFixes! Hugzzz

chatserv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Bluezzz wrote:
I've just joined NukeFixes also, gawd there's alotta forums/php sites one hasta join LOL. The change list lists 2.8 changes specifically but I have yet to find reference specifically to 2.9 changes. I did d/l the entire patch but I think rather than change all those files I'd prefer to go the manual changes if there aren't many diffs between 2.8 and 2.9 ... I could use the practice and it will help me to know what is being changed and why. Thanks for your time and I'll see you at NukeFixes! Hugzzz

If you (or anyone for that matter) are interested in always having the latest patches, -and- have modifications to their site that they want to retain, then I'd advise you to get a good File Compare utility and become intimitely familiar with how to use it. Raven recommended a good one:

Compare It! 3

I ditched my old file compare and am now using this one. Basically you'd download the latest patch series and save it in a seperate folder. Use file compare to load in your current file (as the Source) and the comparable patched file (the Dest). Compare them. You can now either import your direct mods to the patched file, or the new patches to your original file with mods in it. Either way, you will end up with the new patches but your mods will also be intact.

If your site is basically unmodified, you can just overwrite your filesystem with the latest patched files and be done with it... since I recall you just set up your Nuke a week ago or so, I'd imagine there aren't too many mods, so this upgrade should be fairly easy for you. It looks like a lot of files, but realistically your FTP should be able to overwrite and finish this upgrade within 2 - 5 mins. depending on your upload speed. If you're on dial-up, may take awhile longer. Takes a few months of web mastering to feel comfortable with all of this, so just take your time, become familiar with some of the better tools to use, and of course we're always here to answer any questions... = )

PHrEEk

chatserv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote

I use Beyond Compare

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.6

View next topic
View previous topic