Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Installation Help
drtechno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:10 am Reply with quote

Hello. I have read and understand (i think) the "How To" Instructions on moving a phpnuke site to another host. I do have a few questions. QUESTION ONE. my current host (X) path to the phpnuke site is /public_html/home and the new site (Y) auto installs to /.panel/web/portal/73 Should i just copy the contents of everything under the "home" folder at X site to the "73" folder on the Y site? QUESTION TWO. the MySql databases are not named the same and I cannot control the naming of the same. What should i change after i export the database from X to Y?

Thank you for any help you can give.

PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote

As far as file/dir paths, both of those you listed (old host/new host) are pretty bizarre... I'm not sure we'd be in a position to tell you for sure. Who would be in that position would be your new host. All you have to ask them is what folder is your webdocs ROOT folder. This is where you would upload your archived filesystem from the old host.

MySQL db naming conventions shouldn't be a big deal. Create any named db and any named user/pass you want with the new host. Open config.php and edit the new user/pass/dbname information. For the most part, this is all you'll need to change. If you have any modules or blocks that had hard-coded in dbname, you'll quickly see the errors and you'll need to edit those real quick.

PHrEEk

Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like IPOWERWEB setup to me. I've done what youre talking about in the past and you are correct about installation of files. Of course you will change the path in your admin preferences (including mail) and forums config to make it work. Same thing goes for any file edits in modules you've added that require you to hardcode the path in a file. As far as the database, I second what PHrEEk said..........

drtechno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote

I finally got the site moved. Thanks for your help. What made the site move easier (for me anyway) and to get it to work was to make an uncompressed backup from the admin menu of the old phpnuke site instead of phpmyadmin, drop all tables from the new site and restoring database using phpmyadmin. This was after i transferred contents of the phpnuke root directory from ./home to ./73. I kept the config.php created by the phpnuke install on the new site.

Yes it is now a IPOWERWEB hosted site. I just set redirection to make it work. This is good for now.

Thanks again.

Donovan
Client

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote

Good luck with that host. They limit the sql queries to 50,000 per hour and if your site gets busy with 30-40 members you may have problems as I did. I contacted them about this maybe 5 times and they blew me off. I may have had a few modules that weren't very efficient and generated alot of queries per click, but if your members are very active and you exceed your alotted amount per hour your site crashes.

Come to RavenWebHosting and see the light...

drmike
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote

Donovan wrote:
Come to RavenWebHosting and see the light...

Come to any other host and see the light. 50K queries in an hour? I'd be looking for a new host darn quick over that.

-drmike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:50 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic