Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes
jaded
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote

agreed and I am pleased that nukeum66 is getting this to work for you. I do hope that you indeed get your refund.

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
Deseroka
Client

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote

I wanted to thank you for your offer of help Jaded. It is very kind of you. You can bet I learned my lesson on this one.

Nukeum66
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Deseroka, Tell him you're not going to delete anything, but I'm going to back charge him $450.00 for my work in correcting his screw up...... Laughing .. JOKING

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Smile
I'm not going to delete anything. I figure all the hair I've pulled out and all the distress I've caused here to you guys, someone deserves to use it. Since it fits my site, I nominate me Wink

Deseroka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote

You know, stop work on this thing.
I told him that I had someone look at it, that it did not work properly on any sites. Now he's screaming about copyright.
I honestly thought this kid had some talent, but I could have bunged a theme up, now when he ignores my mails, doesn't offer to repair it, and I try to make lemon-aid with lemons, he wants to cry.
You know, I didn't even want to drag the little twit through the mud, but now I'm ready to tell everyone what a little turd he is.
Since I know he will end up reading this:
Let's face it Tag, you goofed, I tried to get it fixed, and now you wanna whine. I had planned on sending you the code that Nukeum corrected so that no one else got ripped off. I no longer want it, working or not. All it took was for you to communicate with me. You read my follow up email 24 hours after my request for a refund. Two days following that, after another email you finally respond. It would have taken two minutes for you to mail me and say you would try to get it working after you returned to town. If you want to play with the big dogs, you better practice your bark.

jaded

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote

if you can take a screen shot of what it is supposed to look like perhaps i can find a way to get you a working theme based on it. I do understand your frustration and was hoping that you two could work it out amicably

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote

What copyright is this then?
He wants to claim copyright for a piece of code that doesn't work and was tailored to your own specifications?
Hmm.
I dare say that if it now works, there is sufficient change in the code not to worry about the issue - at best, it will be based around a code set he supplied. I shouldn't think he would have much of a leg to stand on.
That would be like FB saying no one can sell themes for phpNuke because they are 'based' around standard nuke themes.

Deseroka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:08 am Reply with quote

No it wasn't tailored to my specs. It was premade, but it was as close to what fits my site as I've ever found. I took months to decide to spend this small amount of money. It's not the money, it's the attitude that got me. I finally gave and bought the darn thing because it was affordable to me, it was somewhat close to what I wanted and I thought I was giving a talented kid a chance or something. It's just like any other theme, same layout, just different images.
Jaded, I'll contact you to and see how much I would need to save to just have you create something that would be mine.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:16 am Reply with quote

Best guess on the copyright topic would be graphics. Even though the theme itself is subject to phpnukes lic. the graphics can be copyrighted above and beyond the code they are used in.

It was a nice gesture Deseroka looks like megalomania strikes again.

Deseroka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:34 am Reply with quote

I had no intentions of changing his graphics, I just wanted what I gave part of my sparse cash for to work.
He mailed me again this morning insisting that I had broken his copyright and that he had offered to fix the errors, exlcuding the ones on my site. I offered to forward him back each email he has sent me so that he could point this offer out to me, because I have never received any such offer. Had I gotten that, all of this would not be occurring.
I don't know what errors he thinks I have on my site--he's all tweaked about stuff being in the header, and that should be standard in my half-wit opinion. I often have to ask for help, but I'm not stupid. I'm smart enough to realize that his code is simply another theme edited, and done poorly at that. I also pointed out to him that he must have broken copyright laws also, by basing this on another them and PHP-Nuke code.
My intentions were to try to make some kind of donation to Nukeum for getting it working and passing the corrected code to the kid so that he could distribute a working product to the public. But by the time I do all of that, I have paid much more for something than I ever intended to spend, I just don't have that kind of cash.
I'll save my money and have Jaded or someone create something unique for me, and at least if I've blown the grocery money on it, it will be exactly what I want for that money rather than overpaying for something I was settling on.
I learned something from all of this:
Don't purchase a theme you haven't seen in action;screen shots aren't good enough.
Don't assume that because someone appears to be intelligent and mature that they are.
And I was reminded that I'm so glad I do not have teen age children! Smile

Nukeum66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote

The theme it's self is a poorly modified Nukemods theme, so he really has no rights to the theme at all.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote

I believe that Tag is working with MikeM.

Nukeum66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:08 am Reply with quote

jaded, here is a screen shot of the theme. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Deseroka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:24 am Reply with quote

Nukeum, you'll have him breathing down your neck next!
Geez, all of this because I wanted to have my site fit the topics, and this was as close as I could find to something NdN.
I'm gonna learn to do them myself. I've edited one from Nuke Diva with her persmission that is nice, but it's so dark, and it seems everyone thinks the default theme color should be black.
I know Mikem has always been kind about allowing others to modify his work to meet their needs, but I wonder if he realizes that the edits are not always being tested?
I'm soooooooo glad I'm not a mother. They have to put up with this smart mouth crap all the time.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:37 am Reply with quote

I find the entire topic disturbing. What ever happened to Customer Service/Relations did it completely die with the turn of the century?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:42 am Reply with quote

Hey Deseroka, I love that java menu you are using in the header loads so fast - cool!

Deseroka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote

I agree Six. All of this, simply because I wanted my few pennies to be spent on something that worked. It's obvious when it's loaded in a site that the testing only went as far as looking at the main page or else the other errors would have been obvious to him.
I'll just see what I can come up with on my own, it's not worth all the hassle that has been created. I would like my site to be unique in it's appearance, for it to fit my topics, but my word, now it's turned into who owns what code and I think if you boil it all down, it all came from FB originally anyway, less the improvements on the code & those were based on what he used.
Criminy, it's enough to make me just close the d*** site.

Deseroka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote

Guardian, it was easy to do once Raven explained to me where to place it. I've so many pages and sections that if I went with a text menu I would need the entire front page for a menu Smile
If you would like the info, contact me by email, I'll be happy to share it with you.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
I find the entire topic disturbing. What ever happened to Customer Service/Relations did it completely die with the turn of the century?

Seems in this case it died with puberty LOL

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:12 am Reply with quote

ROFLMAO! Good Point!

jaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote

lmao... at least everyone kept their sense of humor with this. Deseroka, i will send you a reply to your email today. I am also looking over the screenshot that nukeum66 provided. I will see if there is something that I can do for you. BTW, is this theme actually working now and is it up on your site? As a side note, I am very pleased to see so many people try to help in this situation.

EDIT----
no offense to anyone but EEEK at that theme. It is not very attractive as it has been modified. Perhaps I can create one for you that will work better for you. (just my two cents again)

Deseroka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote

No, it doesn't work. I don't want it. I had an email from the kid today saying I would get a refund, and yes I had broken copyright laws. The entire thing has left an awful taste in my mouth. I want to forget I ever heard of this rude child. I settled on spending money on this because it was somewhat affordable on my budget and it was as near as I could find that would fit in with my site. I had even asked about buying it outright so that it would be only mine, and man, am I glad I didn't shell out the money he wanted for that! I didn't have that much money, or I probably would have. Thank goodness for being broke in this case! Smile
I too was pleased by all the response and support I received. There were a couple of people I expected to respond as they did, because they know me. But not being a coder, only being able to hack my way through and often having to ask questions to do that, I did not expect some of the responses I got. I in fact expected most people to side with the kid. I love this site. I really don't know what I would do without the extended family that I have found here. I so often find my answers, or someone will go above and beyond to help me resolve a problem I'm having. I'm ever so thankful for that.
RavensScripts

jaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote

I have created a substitute theme for you if you like. You may view it at my site as the default theme or as Redweb in the theme selection of your account. Let me know if you like it and we can customize it for your sites functions. Thanks

Nukeum66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote

jaded, That's a great theme! Much better than Tags. Deseroka ask me to stop messing with Tags theme and I will with GREAT JOY!! .... Laughing

jaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Thank you very much nukeum... I hope that it works better for him:D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes

View next topic
View previous topic