Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
porcupinepc
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Ive been a user of PHP-Nuke for a while but scrapped my site due to the problems with Nuke, especially version 7.6

Is there a alternative, more secure program or is phpNuke all we have?

Joe

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
elrayjones
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote

I have been using RavenNuke7.3 and i am quite happy with it, however, for my next site(i will get to it some day) I will be using CPGNuke. I have been testing CPGNuke on my local server, and so far it is rock hard.

EJ

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote

Depending on what your needs are, you might explore Mambo or XOOPS. Another one is e107.

elrayjones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:55 am Reply with quote

i have looked at Mambo and e107 they are quite good! but when you work with something for so long going over to something new is a pain in *** Smile i have all ready put my time in with phpNuke and my learning curve is just starting to go down. I know CPGNuke is just another Nuke, but i like what they have done with it from a admin POV. the auto install of mods is one... menu design is another... and it is quite fast... but only time will tell. The main reason I stay with phpNuke is because of security. What? you say? well phpNuke will force you to learn every part of it to secure it... this way you mostly know whats going on and where...

EJ

oprime2001
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote

porcupinepc wrote:
Ive been a user of PHP-Nuke for a while but scrapped my site due to the problems with Nuke, especially version 7.6

Joe

There are demos of a number of CMSes at http://opensourcecms.com.

elrayjones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote

oprime2001 wrote:
porcupinepc wrote:

Joe

There are demos of a number of CMSes at http://opensourcecms.com.

AngelineCMS, bes-cms, CPG-Nuke, Drupal, e107, eNvolution, Exoops, eZ Publish, ezContents, Geeklog, Jetbox One, LDU, Mambo,MD-Pro,myPHPNuke, Ovidentia, PHP-Nuke, phpwcms, phpWebSite,PHPX, Postnuke, Props, Renegade, RUNCMS, TikiWiki, Typo3, Xaraya, XOOPS

take your pick

goto [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and you can test drive all of them.

I don't go with the newest thing, i go with what works. RavenNuke7.3 with NS has worked for me.

EJ

porcupinepc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quote

ok I am planning on checking out Mambo and Xoops. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Joe

elrayjones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote

porcupinepc wrote:
ok I am planning on checking out Mambo and Xoops. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Joe

Mambo is cool i think you will like it... i almost converted to it but was in to deep with phpnuke... right now it is a toss up between Mambo and CPGNuke for my next site. e107 is worth taking a look at to.

EJ

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quote

I think thats whats made CPG Nuke so popular is that there is less of a learning curve for people and conversions not a big issue for most. Changing to PostNuke or XOOPS even presents people who are used to the PHPNuke way with a pretty steep learning curve when it comes to converting addons ect...

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote

Since any database-driven cms / portal system is likely to have security issues, you might consider ones that most closely meet your needs, but also have decent (that is, timely and accurate) support. php-Nuke's popularity is both a blessing and a curse. The curse is that scrip t kiddies have access to more tools to attack. The blessing is that there are more functionality / addons, security tools and support.

Several groups have attempted or are attempting to secure open source, database-driven applications by developing remote (e.g. Windows / desktop) site administration functions. Though this may reduce the number of opportunities for script kiddies, it won't completely address the problem unless a site owner turns off all functionality that allows visitors to create content (e.g. membership registration, forums, submissions of any kind, etc.). If you do that, you've essentially got a static site.

It seems the consensus here is that 7.6 maybe newer, but it isn't necessarily better. You might compare a pre-7.6 version of phpNuke with Chatserv's security patches and a great security tool like NukeSentinel to the others you are checking out.

elrayjones

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:30 am Reply with quote

i installed many a PostNuke site. and i liked the auto install of the mod's the best. I use PostNuke before I went phpNuke. phpNuke was much easier for me. on PostNuke i had to use AutoTheme to get things under control. CPGNuke took this idea and im glad. It will make writing mods for people much simpler. All they need to do is drop it into the right directory, and click install.

djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Mambo is besides CPG also very good.
The only thing i hae about mambo is the add-ons installer.
You need to chmod 777 a bunch of directories before it can install an module.

I use Mambo for 2 websites and all others are CPG-Nuke.
As mentioned in posts above it depends what you need in a website.

Btw here's a stripped down CPG running d*** fast: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
pagegens below 0.1 second and the forums: 0.1595 seconds and 12 DB Queries in 0.0228 seconds

Rage
Insane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote

I quite like Drupal myself, but CPGnuke is the definative choice when looking for something similar to phpNuke.

Useless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote

I was just gonna post about Drupal and see Rage's post Very Happy Do look into this project too. Mambo would THE choice by me, so many options, outstanding support.
CPGnuke is very good but has very limited options for the use of it. Support is good but coders and admins get very insulting sometimes to users and other coders/ script creators. "Secured Label for $5" didn't make a whole a lot of sense either but so did FB's Club feature.

cprompt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote

just my 2 cents.
I recently tried XOOPS mainly for giggles.
I will say it is more professional looking and user-friendly to me in the 2 1/2 hours I have played with it than PHP-Nuke ever was/has been to me in the last 2+ years.
If updates and patches are as easy to install as the CMS itself was, to me that is the Barn burner right there. PHP-Nuke, IMO, is way too complicated for a NOOB per-say.
Too many times do you have to fix this, secure that, upgrade these. All in the while, making sure any other addons, maods you install work after you apply said fixes etc. for PHP-Nuke...it's ridiculous.

BTW. The XOOPS I am playing with is version 2. It has a sweet forums and a plentiful amount of addon modules and themes you can get from the official site. The install package is pretty lite for the most part. A cool feature I noticed is an inline notification system for each module. You can be notified via email of added links, downloads, news, forum posts etc. Pretty nifty. Pretty powerful too as I am finding out. Also, their support seems to be phenomenal!

P.S. I've also played with Mambo recently, not as user-friendly as XOOPS I am finding. Nor as well supported.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic