Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
brentnhunter
Client

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:15 am Reply with quote

There must be a way to delete unwanted postings in the Forums. I can prune topics older than a certain # of days, I can delete entire topics/categories and I can delete replies to postings. But I don't see an option anywhere in the Forums or in the Forum Admin area to delete an entire post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brent [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote

huh...
as far as i know i can delete everything...
it shows a x and when i click on it i can delete everything,posts,topics,categories....
or do you mean something else...?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Brent,

You, as admin, should see 4 icons at the bottom left of any post that you are on. They represent Delete, Move, Lock, and Split at the topic level. Just click the X and follow the yellow brick road or the white rabbit, which ever you prefer Wink

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Well I created a post and then I replied to that post. When I view it, there is an X for the reply so I can delete the reply, but there isn't an X on the first post, so I don't see a way to delete the first post. There are also other posts where I don't see any X's at all!

Feel free to take a look at my site at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] in the Forums area

Thanks,

Brent

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Only Admins have access to the 4 icons that I am referring to. Look at the bottom, not the individual posts.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:23 pm Reply with quote

brentnhunter wrote:
Well I created a post and then I replied to that post. When I view it, there is an X for the reply so I can delete the reply, but there isn't an X on the first post, so I don't see a way to delete the first post. There are also other posts where I don't see any X's at all!

Feel free to take a look at my site at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] in the Forums area

Thanks,

Brent
Then you are not logged in as admin or you do not have admin rights.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote

now that would be funny.... Embarassed

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Brent,

You, as admin, should see 4 icons at the bottom left of any post that you are on. They represent Delete, Move, Lock, and Split at the topic level. Just click the X and follow the yellow brick road or the white rabbit, which ever you prefer Wink

'tis funny, I replied before seeing your reply Raven! But then I went and looked and sure enough, I didn't have any of the options at the bottom of the screen. I figured I was an Admin for sure (how else could I have created and customized the whole forum area?) but when I went into the Forum Admin area I saw that my id was not in fact a Moderator (I didn't see any other option than being a Moderator). After changing myself to a Moderator, I could see the cool little options at the bottom of the screen and I could also delete the posts, which I did.

Now my only question is why was I able to do everything in the forums that I did (I created the whole structure of topics, etc.)??

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:12 pm Reply with quote

to do just that you need to be in the forum admin area,but playing god in the forum as moderator you need to be loggged in as member but set as moderator in the forum config....
and do we all understand this..? Cheers

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Aha, ok thanks, I'll drink to that!

Cheers!

Brent

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote

yeah but do that after you touched the settings.... Groovy

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote

(*chuckle*)

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Use phpMyAdmin, modify the 'users' table and change your user_level to 2.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote

thats cheating....... ROTFL

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Thanks... although I already set myself up as a Moderator in the Forums Admin menus...

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote

A moderator is a 3 and is not the same as an Admin.

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote

An Admin is higher then? How do I set myself up as an Admin? Is is only done through phpMyAdmin? And if an Admin's user_level is 2 in the users table, what is a 1?

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Sometimes nuke doesn't update the user_level like it should. Never have known why. In any event, that's the sure way Wink A moderator is the next step DOWN in authority from an Administrator. A 1 is a normal user. I don't make the rules Laughing

brentnhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote

Cool, I was a 3, now I'm a 2.

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic