Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
HauntedWebby
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:12 am Reply with quote

Hey guys, today I noticed a big red dot on my coppermine admin site. Does this mean I'm not secure anymore?

I went to the dev team site, but it's not there anymore. So I went to the cpg stand alone site and it doesn't show any updates to the phpnuke stuff since nov 03 (or something like that).

Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quote

Not sure the dot is sposed to tell you if there is an update available. I'd imagine red means no. The last I saw there was an update expected to be released soon but... [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

HauntedWebby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote

When your green it's ok, when your yellow you should update, when it's red you really really need to update.

Well that site doesn't seem to be a cheery site. I had the feeling of "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".

I think it may be time to find a new photo gallery system Sad

dean
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I had no idea that coppermine had abandoned its phpnuke users. After I upgraded to latest version, I did think it odd that Coppercop rarely answered questions regarding nuke but now I know.

So, anyone in the security field have an opinion on an alternative Gallery?

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote

I played extensively with PHPhotoAlbum from which Coppermine evolved. I think they lost site of what made it great in the first place. It was simple. In its current evolution it is anything but simple. I also think it looks quite cheap, gawdy and very much hacked into phpnuke rather then merged into it. The rediculously intrusive credits would have put me off without even testing it out. </rant>

But anyway Menalto Gallery is a strong candidate. If gawdy java blocks are what keep people interested in Coppermine I'm sure we could come up with a package of blocks for Gallery that rival those included in Coppermine.

Otherwise Smartor Gallery is nice for member albums. Though I personally avoid any mods to the forums that I don't really have to have and stick to modules when ever I can. It makes updates so much easier.

TheosEleos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote

I run coppermine right now and it works ok for my needs. With the lack of support for Coppermine I can see myself leaving it for something better once I use my gallery more often.

Where can I find this "Menalto Gallery"?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Don't try V2 as a module I don't believe its ready for that yet. But the 1.4.4-pl2 version should work fine under phpnuke.

I don't really think Coppermine is dead or anything near it but it does seem to be in a bit of a rut.

dean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:14 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone converted a coppermine gallery to Menalto?

oprime2001
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:56 am Reply with quote

dean wrote:
Has anyone converted a coppermine gallery to Menalto?

I opened a thread over at http://www.nukedgallery.net/postt1157.html asking the same question. Hopefully, someone has tips or suggestions to help us soon-to-be-ex-copperminers.

TheosEleos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:03 am Reply with quote

I may just write my own module for my needs. I don't add images very often at all. I don't care about comments being added or anything. I don't need to be able to upload images using the module. I really need just a simple photo gallery.

HauntedWebby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:29 am Reply with quote

No conversion. I have hundreds of pics (glad it's not thousands!). I'm going to try Menalto Gallery today to see if I like it. Oh man what a pain!! But better safe then sorry!!!

HauntedWebby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone installed Menalto Gallery? It looks like a stand-alone app, not a nuke mod. Confused

oprime2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my post over at www.nukedgallery.net, I used Gallery as a module in my php-nuke portal before I moved over to coppermine. I'll be returning to Gallery once v2 comes out. Hopefully, there won't be a major security issue with coppermine until then.

Here's something from their FAQ, How do I integrate Gallery into PHPNuke?

Rage
Insane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:36 am Reply with quote

HauntedWebby wrote:
Has anyone installed Menalto Gallery? It looks like a stand-alone app, not a nuke mod. Confused

That is why many don't install Menalto into Nuke, alot are too confused because there are no clear install instructions. (Someone link me to prove me wrong. Razz)

Client

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:14 am Reply with quote

I have an old version of coppermine running and one in Raven's 7.3 distro. My little light is red too, and also saw that there is no longer support for coppemine/nuke. I do not know what I'll do. I also have menalto gallery as a stand alone, and I think it is probably more user friendly. Like the rest of you, I could not find a way to make it a module when I first started out--a year later I still don't think I could figure that out, especially alone. I ended up using gallery for something else and adding coppermine as a module into my site so that I could offer e-cards to my visitors. I had attempted to do this with gallery, but when I posted for help asking if it was possible, since I could not find any "real" instructions they about ate me alive in the forums telling me if I did not like the code, too d*** bad, people worked hard on it--I just decided it use it for something else, and installed coppermine.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and seeing what those of you with more knowledge than me come up with. I would be interested to convert back to gallery from coppermine.
oh-i'm ramblin' again...sorry

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:41 am Reply with quote

They've made it really easy in recent versions. All you have to do is install it like you did but put it in the modules/Gallery directory like any other nuke module. Run the installer and configure it as you would the stand alone version but.. there is a config option for running embedded in nuke (or Geeklog and a few others).

Then once its up and running as normal go to the nuke AdminCP and activate it like any other module.

Deseroka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote

This info might be helpful:
http://www.nukedgallery.net/postt1157.html#6485
Looks as tho the CPG team has just thrown us in the fire
http://cpgnuke.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3327.html
Looks to me like they are forcing you to choose cpgnuke if you want to use coppermine. And that pisses me off.

Rage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote

CPG-Nuke is a nice CMS, but I guess they feel that it's further away from phpNuke than before... Confused

It being 'too buggy' is a poor excuse though.

Off to Menalto then. Laughing

afc
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Deseroka wrote:
This info might be helpful:
http://www.nukedgallery.net/postt1157.html#6485
Looks as tho the CPG team has just thrown us in the fire
http://cpgnuke.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3327.html
Looks to me like they are forcing you to choose cpgnuke if you want to use coppermine. And that pisses me off.

Well if you knew what you were talking about. DJMaze Porter (Cross Platform Devel.) and gtroll aka akamu (Developer) [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] which means he only made it work into phpnuke. He left phpnuke because he felt that the code need to be reworked, more secured and faster.

there are hundreds on addons, modules and tweaks that are no long supported you should bash them too?

Just because they went in a different direction that is there choice. If you want it get someone else to support it, there the second team to port coppermine over to nuke rember surf.net something who did first port?

akamu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Correct afc
We have totally reworked phpnuke to be faster and much more secure CMS. Your full phpnuke site can be easily imported to CPG-nuke, and all those little nagging bugs (and the big security ones) are gone.

We could no longer feel safe with any application such as coppermine or nukedgallery for that matter within the phpnuke framework. The vulnerability of uploading files and security is so severe and we could not guarantee that it was secure in phpnuke, so we dropped support for phpnuke.

The site nukephotogallery.com which was sponsored is temporarly down hense the version image in coppermine showing red to remove this go to your config screen in coppermine to turn off this image.

The future of coppermine for CPGNuke is bright with many new features planned in the upcoming versions, we invited you to try cpgnuke on a subdomain and once you do I don't think you'll go back to phpnuke.

Our many features are here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

TheosEleos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote

I appreciate you guys coming along and posting. The thing is I'm not so sure I am ready to scrap phpnuke for what you offer. I have put a ton of work into my site. I really don't see a need to change to CPG just for a gallery. If I was starting a site from scratch I would be very interested in trying CPG. This is not the case, though.

It is just sad for those of us who use coppermine to see the support disappear.

Deseroka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote

AFC--I do know what I am talking about. I said:
Quote:

To me that is how it looks. That is how I feel. I think I would know more about what I think and feel than anyone else here, so you are way off base there.
I never bashed them, their applications/mods or rewrites of nuke. I merely said this is how it looks to me--this is how I feel.
I happen to like coppermine. Still have it on some sites.
I do feel they could have left the support forums up as archives for a little while, but again that is me.
I may at some time choose to do a site with CPGNuke, but for the moment I agree with TheosElos--
Quote:
The thing is I'm not so sure I am ready to scrap phpnuke for what you offer. I have put a ton of work into my site. I really don't see a need to change to CPG just for a gallery. If I was starting a site from scratch I would be very interested in trying CPG. This is not the case, though.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote

akamu
Thanks for the comments. I think thats all anyone could ask was a definitive answer as to whether or not anyone was maintaining a CopperMine port for phpnuke.

Yes I remember surfs initial efforts and it was nice but I believe the issue was lack of support from the beginning both from surf (one guy understandably hard to keep up with) and later the CPG team.

Now that has been cleared up perhaps someone else will decide to take on that endeavor. In the mean time we'll work with what we have.

akamu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote

TheosEleos wrote:
The thing is I'm not so sure I am ready to scrap phpnuke for what you offer. I have put a ton of work into my site.

ME wrote:
Your full phpnuke site can be easily imported to CPG-nuke...try cpgnuke on a subdomain...

Deseroka wrote:
To me that is how it looks. That is how I feel.

I apologize there is just so much a few can do.

Deseroka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote

I don't think you need to apologize for being over busy. We can all relate to that. I would have liked to see the forums stay up for a bit longer, even unmanned.
I for one, just installed Raven's 7.3 distro which included coppermine on a new site. I'm daily finding small things that the answer to probably could have been found there, I have repaired a few of them by searching the forums. I'll wing it.
I never meant any insult to you or the CPG team, just stated how I felt.
I had no idea the bull dog would come bite me for saying what I thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic