Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.5
SmackDaddy
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons and determine whether or not it may be worth upgrading from 7.4 (patched with 2.5) to the latest 7.5 version.....

And I am not sure if something is going to break or not since the the admin side of things went so modular.....with the following installed does anyone know whether or not there are issues with any of these and if so, what to do to correct the issues?

Sentinel 2.0.2 -- (No issues known!)
Sommaire Menu System 2.1.1
Coppermine 1.3.0
NSN Banner Clients 1.2.5 (soon to be 1.2.6)
Nuke Treasury 1.0 -- (No Issues known!)
Last Visit 3.0
IP Tracking 3.5
Fancy Newsletter 2.3a

*sigh* .... I really hate that FB didn't take into account third party support of modules when he decided to do this upgrade or else he would have made some sort of module migration tool.... Bang Head

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote

Migration tool ROTFL ROTFL This is a guy that won't even bother to secure the code and is at 7.5. To think that he would offer a migration tool? He is mostly symbolism w/o substance when it comes to programming capabilities.

SmackDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote

Fine....wishful thinking, glad to have amused....now for my next joke, I'll be refering to Paul, formerly of Nukecops.....but first....back to my question.... Wink

Rage
Insane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:27 am Reply with quote

Most modules work fine when installed the old way in 7.5, auth.php's code is in admin.php, so you can alter the code the normal way except in admin.php. Wink

Of course test the upgrade out before you do this in a live environment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:41 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I am considering making a complete mirror of my site in a seperate folder and then testing out the upgrade.....it's just a pain in the ass to make a copy of everything just to test out to see if a module is going to break. *sigh*

I just wanted to know if anyone out there had any experience personally with any of those modules and an upgrade to 7.5....

SmackDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
Migration tool ROTFL ROTFL This is a guy that won't even bother to secure the code and is at 7.5. To think that he would offer a migration tool? He is mostly symbolism w/o substance when it comes to programming capabilities.

Although I was kidding in my initial reply, in all seriousness in this reply, I don't see why you, Bob, Chat, Ganja six, and a few others don't collaborate on your own CMS with your REAL programming skills....would definitely blow away FB.....but I know, time and coordination would be the issue....but anywho.....definitely would support something like that! Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote

I'm sure you've read the 'fork or not to fork' thread. It is a dream/desire/nightmare of mine. Yes, time is the main issue .....

SmackDaddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:18 am Reply with quote

Actually, shouldn't you have called the thread "When to fork?" as you and the others know a fork is desperated needed since the codebase of phpnuke is so convoluted and beyond hope of rescuing....chat and many others do their best to apply their bandaid's with each new release.......so although yes, time is the issue, the question of whether to fork or not really isn't....is it? I know, I know.....easy for me to say as I wouldn't be programming it.....sorry if I am sounding "simplistic" or flippant, it's not my intent......

So anyway.....I am still figuring out whether or not I am going to upgrade.

Raven, you sticking with your current version and patch or are you planning on upgrading? Or have you upgraded?

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:27 am Reply with quote

I'm at v6.9 and holding. As I have said many times, I found 6.5 and 6.9 to be two of the best releases, for me, and since I'm a programmer by profession, I mod it as needed. All that has come with the later releases, to me, is nothing noteworthy. Now that's just me speaking, for me, obviously. Having said that, I might upgrade some time in the future just for 'fun' when I have the time, but I have done quite a bit of customization so it will take time.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quote

Well, since version 7.1 I said wouldn't upgrade again - but having a free day or two to spare, what with not being able to work due to a broken leg, I was in dire need of some amusement - so I did it!
Now upgrade straight from 7.1 to 7.5 with only a few minor glitches.

I have too many modules added to mention, including Fancy Newsletter. MS Analysis, ePetition, Weather, etc and they all work perfectly.

The only real glitches I came across was when accessing the 'other' admin menu, some of the links caused 'Access Denied' to appear at the top of the page (the page still loaded though). This was cured easily enough by removing redundant case files e.g. admin/case/case_whatever.php

So far, all of my add-on modules and their associated admin parts are working as normal.

Personally, the only reason I decided to upgrade, apart from the humour value, was because now the modules are truly modular, it might give me the encouragement I need to go through and rip out all those redundant files from when I have added modules and then ripped them for one reason or another.

Life was made so much easier too with a nifty utility I just found called Beyond Compare - oh the joys of including every file and sub folder in on a single screen.

Rage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:47 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I'm at v6.9 and holding. As I have said many times, I found 6.5 and 6.9 to be two of the best releases, for me, and since I'm a programmer by profession, I mod it as needed. All that has come with the later releases, to me, is nothing noteworthy. Now that's just me speaking, for me, obviously. Having said that, I might upgrade some time in the future just for 'fun' when I have the time, but I have done quite a bit of customization so it will take time.

I agree wholeheartedly, I think 6.9 was the best Nuke release ever, but it lacks current updates in the world of Nuke, such as bbtonuke10 etc.

Perhaps a customised 6.9 with all the latest fandango. Laughing

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote

hmmm. Do you really think that people woul use a 6.9? I doubt that it would have much allure. And my issues are not so much the addons as all the custom coding I've done.

Rage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Yes, but those that respect the fact that 6.9 is less overbloated than these newer versions which are completely useless in terms of upgrades will enjoy it. Laughing

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quote

Rage, could you explain further why you feel versions after 6.9 are over bloated?
If I recall, a number of core modules where actually removed in progressive upgrades - surely this would therefore reduce overall file size.
Or perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree here.

Rage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:32 am Reply with quote

Webmail was removed, but only after someone pointed it out as a security risk. Thats pretty much it, I think.

Admin32
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote

I;ve been tracking the changes to phpnuke for the past few months and though about upgrading to the latest version, but I must agree as well with Rage about 6.9 ... its still holding strong and I'm one of them guys who simply can do without the new bells and whistles which really won't help make my website any better.

For me, the material I write is most important, and since that's top quality (Even Cisco agrees since they have us in their CCNA material) I'll just leave it as is!

Before I close, I shall also express my disappointment about the news letter module, which shouldn't be included really since its quite useless and is no solution for any professional site. Fancy newsletter is a very good alternative, but also has the timeout problem, therefore rendering it useless aswell....

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Personally, I quite like Fancy Newsletter, especially with the wysiwyg hack.
It is no substitute for a proper mail sending program likw WorldCast but it suffices my meagre needs with only needing to send out around 250 newsletter each month.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> phpnuke 7.5

View next topic
View previous topic