Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
oprime2001
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote

I had a random user JackFromWales4u2 register on one of my phpnuke sites. At first I was annoyed at the random registration, but then paranoia took hold. I checked the logs for any obvious or glaring exploits, but I did not see anything.

I then checked the various phpnuke security sites. I was surprised to see that JackFromWales4u2 was also the latest signup at a forum moderator's site.

I then ran a google search on JackFromWales4u2 , and google returned 18600 Shocked hits!

From a random check of the various google hits, it seems that JackFromWales4u2 has been very busy with a great number of registrations at these various phpnuke and phpbb sites within a span of a couple of days -- September 1-2, 2004.

Now this screams of an exploit/vulnerability! Is there a script or exploit/vulnerability that is out in the wild that is yet unpatched?

Or am I just being paranoid here?
p.s. you might want to check your own sites to see if you've had a visit from JackFromWales4u2, too.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote

I saw this on several sites, too. Could it be an attempt to identify server and / or return email address info for spamming purposes?

oprime2001

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:52 pm Reply with quote

That could be a possible purpose for the mass registrations. My concern is HOW did they register and activate all these phpnuke/phpbb accounts in a seemingly short period of time.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Interesting. Quoth the Raven "Let the Games Begin".

GeekyGuy
Client

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote

oprime2001,

Do you have an IP address associated with that username?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote

The registration was activated using 66.219.97.51

GeekyGuy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Interesting, that IP comes back as:
OrgName: Advanced Internet Technologies, Inc.
OrgID: ADIT
Address: 421 Maiden Lane
City: Fayetteville
StateProv: NC
PostalCode: 28301

Jack is a Tarheel, not from Wales Shocked

Muffin
Client

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:39 am Reply with quote

Thats interesting isn't it boyo!

sorry couldnt resist it.

I'll keep a watch out for that username.

takaharu
Client

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quote

I have this one registered on my site.

Should i loose him ?

Insane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:36 am Reply with quote

I feel like we're in the twighlight zone. Shocked

The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote

Registered on my site on September 1, 2004 using a mail.ru email address which is on my restricted list. You should NOT be able to register on my site using this email address so something is awry!

GeekyGuy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Luckily, I've not seen traces of this fella on my site, but then I don't get a lot of traffic.

Has anyone seen a post by him, or anything other than just a registration? If not, then I would delete his account.

Another thing, is everyone seeing him on the same IP, 66.219.97.51 ?

Muffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Can we check all registered members IP's on our site quickly? I mean I have over 500 so far, and most of those dont post on the forum, so I don't get an IP.

Shame if it doesnt register an IP when registering (something I liked about Invision Board the IP on registration was logged) because you can get rid of anyone you dont want if you know their IP.

GeekyGuy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote

If you were using the IP Tracking module, you could find it pretty easily. I actually hadn't thought about those who weren't using IP Tracking. Sorry.

Maybe one of the Wizards of Nuke knows of a way to find the last IP, but I sure don't

Muffin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote

I only use MS Analysis Sad

I think I'll install IP Tracking now Rolling Eyes

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm thinking someones developed a reader for the images. It only makes sense. The rest is easy to script.

I bumped my code up to 9 digits and changed the background image color and quality. But am going to hack in a harder to read image when I get time.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote

I can see that, but it doesn't explain how he got around my email address registration restrictions.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Not your average copy paste script kiddie for sure. I'd guess this is a very high tech entity or individual. But collecting the urls from the emails wouldn't be the hardest thing to do.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
I'm thinking someones developed a reader for the images. It only makes sense. The rest is easy to script.

I bumped my code up to 9 digits and changed the background image color and quality. But am going to hack in a harder to read image when I get time.
This might get you started
Code:
function gfx($random_num) {

global $prefix, $db, $module_name;
   require("config.php");
   $datekey = date("F j");
   $rcode = hexdec(md5($_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] . $sitekey . $random_num . $datekey));
   $code = substr($rcode, 2, 6);
   # $image = ImageCreateFromJPEG("modules/$module_name/images/code_bg.jpg");
   Header("Content-type: image/jpeg");

$image = ImageCreate(100,20);

$white=ImageColorAllocate($image,255,255,255);
   ImageFilledRectangle($image,0,0,100,20,$white);

for ($cnt=0; $cnt<12; $cnt++) {
      $text_color = ImageColorAllocate($image, intval(rand(200,255)), intval(rand(200,255)), intval(rand(200,255)));

# Depending on your PHP use one of imageellipse or imagearc
      #ImageEllipse($image,($cnt*8),10,intval(rand(15,30)),intval(rand(15,30)), $text_color);
      ImageArc($image,($cnt*8),10,intval(rand(15,30)),intval(rand(15,30)),0,360, $text_color);
   }

for ($idx=0; $idx<6; $idx++) {
      $text_color = ImageColorAllocate($image, intval(rand(0,128)), intval(rand(0,128)), intval(rand(0,128)));
      $text_color1 = ImageColorAllocate($image, intval(rand(0,128)), intval(rand(0,128)), intval(rand(0,128)));
      ImageString ($image, intval(rand(1,5)), 12+($idx*14), 2, substr($code,$idx,1), $text_color);
      ImageString ($image, intval(rand(1,5)), 11+($idx*14), 2, substr($code,$idx,1), $text_color1);
   }

ImageJPEG($image, '', 75);
   ImageDestroy($image);
   die();
}
Don't even know where I picked it up. I have another one that is much clearer and is in color but I can't find it right off hand.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote

Seems to come out clearer as a png image. Nice who ever created it.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Does anyone think we need a 3 strikes function with this?
The longer the code is the more likely an error. After changing to 9 chars about 1 in 3 trys I get it wrong and I'm more familar with the login process then the average surfer.

It has some merit in the case of brute force attacks I spose.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote

By the way its up to 36,600 today! [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Must be a world record for website memberships huh?

oprime2001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:28 am Reply with quote

I posted the original post in the security forum at NukeCops. A couple of users there are now reporting that the JackFromWales4u2 account is being used to spam news articles on phpnuke websites with comments with a link to (presumably, their) website.

However, what is more disconcerting is that these users are reporting that ALL of their articles/news were spammed! Again, if that doesn't smell of a script/bot, I don't know what does. I don't see a legitimate reason to keep this JackFromWales4u2 account on your site! Evil or Very Mad

GeekyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:59 pm Reply with quote

44,200 for JackFromWales4u2 on Google today....

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote

I really wonder if the person contacted to investigate this might be the one who did it... It will be interesting to see the replies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic