Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes
rainy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote

I have another site that is having a little problem - you can send private messages, but you can't OPEN them. Just loops back to the inbox.

I have 7.3, forums are 2.09.

I also have Site Messenger installed - which has been working fine since I installed it - until now, the IMs used to show up in the Private Messages, they no longer do so.

I recently upgraded from 6.9 to 7.3 - that seems to be when things started getting quirky.

I also recently installed Sentinel - which has some issues it seems with the Site Messenger - which is sad I love that module and so do all my members - and it's a sizable site - they use the Messenger heavily as well as the Private Messages - so they are very annoyed about this.

I've tried looking up any fixes, those I found that might be it, I've tried to no avail.

Any tips for what might be the issue here?

Thank you for your time.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote

What if anything does the maintainer of the Site Messenger say? This has come up but due to the lack of human resources no one has persued it beyond what you have already no doubt read. We tend to believe that it doesn't sufficiently filter information being passed. Therefore don't wish to create a hack to give it immunity from Sentinels filters.

rainy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote

Well outside of Sentinel - what could be causing my PMs not to open??

This wasn't an issue with just the SIte Messenger - but I'm not sure what they'd say or not to this, I'll need to ask.

I don't know if it is a result of Sentinel or not - it's just a possibly since I believe it uses a lot of javascript.

My MAIN concern is the private messages not opening and instead just looping back to the inbox.

I'll sadly have to get rid of Sentinel on that site befopre I removed Site Messenger - it is THAT heavily used and expected to be on that site and working. And there isn't a single other option to see who is on the site and send a instant message to them to be found anywhere else, so I'd have to choose a different security if that is what the issue is.

But as I said, again my MAIN concern is getting the PMs open.

Do you have any suggestions for that by any chance?

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote

LOL kinda holding our toes to the fire there huh?

I'll take a look at it monday night no promises from what you say it uses a ton of java and flash and I'm not too big on either one.

In the mean time try commenting out the include line in mainfile.php for sentinel briefly as a test. If everything works then you have you answer as to where the conflict originated.

BobMarion
Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Which came first? the chicken or the egg?

In other words, did you upgrade your site from 6.9 to 7.3 first or add NukeSentinel first?

Then did you PM's stop working when you upgraded the site or when you installed NukeSentinel?

Did you have NukeSentinel installed when your site ran on 6.9 and if it was at that time did it have an affect on the site manager you speak of?

What issues? If we were able to help you at all we have to have exactly what the issues are. 9/10 of the issues are due to an addons code not being secure enough or improperly coded.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:13 am Reply with quote

Just an update either their emails down or very slow. As access is restricted to members I've not yet been able to download the mod at this point.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quote

Ok I have it installed here and there is not conflict with Sentinel, Site Messenger and the Private Messages. That much is appearent.

Suggestions your private message issue could be your theme try switching to ExtraLight and subsilver and see if the there is still an issue opening PM's

I'll dig into SM more later. I'd also suggest in the SM config setting html to 0 and bbcode to 0 this will eliminate any conflicts with odd charectors getting in the way and enable you to track specific issues better.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote

Ok you had it working before yes? I think if you disable html and bbcode it will be ok for you. I have been using it fine this way now for several messages.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now.

rainy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote

Awww didnt mean to sounds like i was holdng toes to the fire, sorry!

I upgraded first. then added sentinel.

It was fine for the upgrade.

Now not so much so.

PMs have been opening for the theme with no issue until I added Sentinel. They worked briefly - then shut down.

<quote>I'd also suggest in the SM config setting html to 0 and bbcode to 0 this will eliminate any conflicts with odd charectors getting in the way and enable you to track specific issues better</quote>

Not sure I fully understood this, please explain a bit more?
Thank you guys SO much for giving me some ideas! You rock!

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote

In your modules/Site_Messenger/config.php you can set
$allow_html = 0;
$allow_bbcode = 0;

This will strip out all html and all bbcode. Which will eliminate the vast majority of potential issues with Nuke Sentinel.

rainy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote

I commented out the include and it seemed to be the same, so I un-included it and then reuploaded the PM files - and thought that had fixed it.

I was able to see one PM in my inbox, but not the others. So I commented out Sentinel agian and will see what happens, but I'm thinking that isnt the issue.

Thank you all SO MUCH!

RavensScripts

edited after seeing things werent fixed after all

rainy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
In your modules/Site_Messenger/config.php you can set
$allow_html = 0;
$allow_bbcode = 0;

This will strip out all html and all bbcode. Which will eliminate the vast majority of potential issues with Nuke Sentinel.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - bbcode, right when I installed Sentinel - I also installed the flash bbcode from CodezWiz - could that be part of the issue?

Site Messenger *used* to store *all* IMs in the Private Messages in boxes - but is not any longer. The new bbcode features affected the forums, and also naturally the PMs - but did not affect the Site Messenger's IMs - probably because I didnt replace that bbcode with the CodezWiz bbcode.

Could this cause an issue?

Will the bbcode addon cause a fuss with Sentinel?

Thanks for your time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Bug Fixes

View next topic
View previous topic