Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - Other
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

This is gonna sound stupid ... but ... well, I gotta ask Wink

I just completed the installation of my own ad server a few days ago. In order to utilize the IP2Country Geotargeting abilities, it asks me to put in the location of my database.

???????????????????????

The AdServer is on one database and the IP2Country is in my nuke database ... but I have no idea how to put it in as a physical location.

I warned ya ... it would sound stupid ;o)

Can anyone help?

Thanks much!

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Well, I'll answer with an equally 'stupid' response. Have you tried localhost?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote

LOL,

Ummm ..... no .... that would have been much too simple!

Going to try it now.

Thanks Raven!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote

HI Raven,

Nope .... that didn't work.

As I'm looking at this closer ... it looks like a specific IP2Country DB may be required. One that costs money Wink

They provide a link ... and it's a clickbank link.

I'm pretty sure I can get it to work with my existing DB ... just got some exploring to do.

Thanks for your help.

Take care.

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:51 am Reply with quote

Yeah looks like they charge $199.00 just to query their database for IP vs. Geo Zone. Then $99.00 thereafter to continue as a subscribed user.

You could write a small script that queries whois and get that info for the most part. As long as your stats aren't so outragious they ban you Razz

Ravens original Hack Alert might serve as an ideal model to work from RavensScripts

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quote

Here is a free database you could use [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] that would be even better. When your done send us a copy Wink

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:22 am Reply with quote

Here I even converted the csv into a nice nuke.sql for ya wink* [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
decompresses to 4.38 Mbs so its no small database. Now I've gotta put it to use myself lol!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
Yeah looks like they charge $199.00 just to query their database for IP vs. Geo Zone. Then $99.00 thereafter to continue as a subscribed user.

You could write a small script that queries whois and get that info for the most part. As long as your stats aren't so outragious they ban you Razz

Ravens original Hack Alert might serve as an ideal model to work from RavensScripts

Hi Six!!

Yep, I see that $199.00. But I'm hoping to use my IP2Country database that I got for free and used with MSAnalysis.

Just gotta sharpen up my skills a bit and give it a whirl Wink

Good to "see" you .... been awhile. Later on I want to talk to you about PostNuke as well ... that's what you use on your site, isn't it?

Take care.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote

sixonetonoffun wrote:
Here I even converted the csv into a nice nuke.sql for ya wink* [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
decompresses to 4.38 Mbs so its no small database. Now I've gotta put it to use myself lol!

Oh WOW!

Thank you! You're a doll!

You accomplished what probably would have taken me days to do! And a whole lot of yelling for help over here, on top of it Wink

Awesome!!!!

Thanks so much!

Take care!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Six,

You seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. Do you run an ad server? If so, is it the PHPAdsNew?

I looked and looked to find it as a PHP-Nuke Module but wasn't able to find it. I found tons of references to it, but no actual module. So I'm running it separate from Nuke until I get the full feel for it, then hope to convert it as a module.

Just wondering if you have any experience with it or if you've seen it as a module anywhere?

Thanks again.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote

No I'll take a look at it though. I was thinking it would be interesting to use the Geo zones with many applications. tracking, banners and more like what you are doing affiliate programs. All of which track ip's but none of the ones I am using seem to offer anything in the way of recognizing the target audience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Six,

Yep, there are a ton of possibilities with Geo Zones. I'm just exploring the tip of the iceberg Wink

I have a question for you about PostNuke that you're running ... I was looking for a modified Sentinel download but haven't found it ... but I'm SURE it's there .... can you point me to it, please?

Thanks.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Actually there isn't a "Universal Sentinel" right now but look for something in the future Raven and Bob have been talking again Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy

I like the results of their "conversations" Wink

Actually, I read one of your responses to someone in another thread ... and from what I read ... with PN the security is already pretty high.

That's nice to know. My PN site is just a test site ... but I like to make sure everything is pretty secure.

Take care.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote

I can't say PN is a perfect model but its certainly built with more focus on security. I like the Smarty implementation beyond that I have issues with its speed or lack of it.

I think that we are very close to seeing some huge gains in the CMS systems old and new. That and with PHP and MySQL improving all the time its just bound to all come together here soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote

Yep,

Just in the last year or so, the improvements I've seen in CMS systems are amazing!

Information is alot easier to get now as well.

Alot of that has to do with sites like this Very Happy

Thanks and take care.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - Other

View next topic
View previous topic