Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
tkikita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote

Hello.

Can I add to Raven the Option for External Mirror ? I just started using the phpnuke script and I saw in Evo-Xtreme nuke version downloads with :

Download
External Mirror
External Mirror

I want external mirror in Raven ? How can I have it enabled ?

Thanks for reply !

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Why don't you use the editor-field and add the external links as HTML code in the description or you can work with the categories and put all downloads for one file in the same category?

tkikita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote

The downloads module is very basic. I choose phpnuke for my site for the downloads module. But it lacks in features a lot.

You can't add downloads with multiple links like part 1, part 2, part 3.

You can't add mirror to files. Like if you don't want to host on your site a 100 mb file you put it on external mirror. Usually people wants more mirrors Neutral and there is no option for this.

Adding links in description ruins the beauty of the downloads module.

Phpnuke downloads module is nice, but for small communities.
For bigger with traffic at downloads is bad.

I really want option for adding a external mirror with button, like "go get it mirror 1" .. how to do it ?

neralex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote

You can create a category for you file and in this category you can add all downloads for that.

Links in a category:

Links in the description:

tkikita

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote

Maybe this would work for me as admin. But for users ? I want users to add files. Files will be daily submitted and beside this I will already have many, many categories and subcategories. (+ added yearly)... it will be a mess. Please do you have any other ideas ? Thanks !

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote

No other modules come to mind as your requirements are far more complex than the modules that I have seen and supported. I believe what neralex has shown is your only bet with the tools you have.

tkikita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote

Evo-extreme 2.0.9d has this feature, external mirror one and two. Seems to me to be a built in thing, not out of the box. Cannot be implemented in raven too ?

montego

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote

tkikita wrote:
Cannot be implemented in raven too ?

Anything can be implemented, but comes down to time availability. It is not currently on the roadmap.

It may be possible, with a little tweaking, to get the Evo Extreme version working under 2.5. You may want to give it a try (I wouldn't do it on a production site - do it locally on your PC using WAMP or XAMPP as your web site environment).

tkikita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote

If i knew to do it I would have told you already, but I don't know. This is why I asked :/ I need to change the script because of this :/ Raven is missing an important thing for phpnuke. A better download module.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote

Maybe we could could add "a better download module" to the wishlist and do a survey on the importance of supporting external mirrors (or multiple links) for each download out-of-the-box. That might help us determine if it makes sense to invest resources in developing that enhancement (or converting it from another CMS / distribution).

tkikita, since we didn't know your abilities before your last post, here are some additional questions to clarify:
    * Do you want users to be able to submit downloads with multiple mirrors and / or multiple parts?
    * If so, is there a review of the downloads to make sure they aren't danger before posting?
    * Aren't these the same thing (multiple mirrors = multiple parts) with different descriptions (and URLs)?
    * How frequently do the mirrors "disappear" or go down? (having offsite files is a concern for user experience and search engine rankings, whether it's a remotely hosted download, images, or CDN)
    * Would they always or never have a local file?
    * Does the "better" module you described support groups functionality (i.e. downloads / categories can be limited to user groups)?
    * Does it support visual / WYSIWYG editing of the description?
    * Does it support the ability to upload files (either for users, admins, or both)?
    * Are there any other features that would make "a better download" module?
    * Can you point us to an existing site that demonstrates what you're looking for?

tkikita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote

The answer is yes for most of the question excepting:

Usually files are hosted offsite. If there is option for some files to be hosted on site would be nice.
Posting files is limited to registered users only.

* Are there any other features that would make "a better download" module? Well evo xtreme and downloads module 1.2.1. For this module maker did permitted people to make it work in raven, but the one who asked did not made the conversion.

Site sent in PM.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote

Those file hosting "mirror" sites are annoying, but if your goal is to have a downloads site, having mirrors might be necessary. Those sites could still go away, causing bad links.

Let me ask a different question: other than supporting 2 mirrors, what features are in that downloads module that aren't in the RavenNuke downloads module?

tkikita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote

File hosting "mirror" sites are annoying but neccesary.

Features are in that downloads module that aren't in the RavenNuke downloads module ?
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

live example above. delete the link after reading this ...

Well i did not installed yet the download module as I already see examples with it.

Raven is better because of the better staff and support... and better SEO. And in the future to have updates for the script.

What do I really miss ?

- External Mirror One
- External Mirror Two
- External Mirror for part 1, part 2, part 3...
- a small better layout by default + thumbnails.

Nuke is awsome beside wordpress.

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote

Tkikita. This download module has 7 errors plus 352 warnings on that site. I checked the module a little bit but to tell you the truth evo download module is pretty old and not validated.

tkikita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote

July 23, 2012 Version 1.2.1 Upgrade :/ ... of, forget about that... at least some day raven I hope will have the external mirror option...

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote

I saw the video of the 1.2.1 version. It has some interesting features. I need to see the code to evaluate what it would take to work with RN. I registered for the site but don't have time to post in order to download.

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote

Open modules\Downloads\admin folder
Open Categories.php

Search for

Code:
  echo "<input type='hidden' name='op' value='Categories'>\n";

echo "<input type='hidden' name='min' value='$min'>\n";
  echo "<input type='hidden' name='cid' value='".$cidinfo['cid']."'>\n";
  $cidinfo['title'] = getparent($cidinfo['parentid'],$cidinfo['title']);
  echo "<td>".$cidinfo['title']."</td>\n";
  echo "<td align='center'><select name='op'><option value='CategoryModify' selected>"._MODIFY."</option>\n";
  if ($cidinfo['active'] ==1) {
    echo "<option value='CategoryDeactivate'>"._DL_DEACTIVATE."</a>\n";
  } else {
    echo "<option value='CategoryActivate'>"._DL_ACTIVATE."</a>\n";
  }
  echo "<option value='CategoryDelete'>"._DL_DELETE."</option></select> ";
  echo "<input type='submit' value='"._DL_OK."'></td></tr>\n";

Replace with

Code:
  echo "<input type='hidden' name='op' value='Categories' />\n";

echo "<input type='hidden' name='min' value='$min' />\n";
  echo "<input type='hidden' name='cid' value='".$cidinfo['cid']."' />\n";
  $cidinfo['title'] = getparent($cidinfo['parentid'],$cidinfo['title']);
  echo "<td>".$cidinfo['title']."</td>\n";
  echo "<td align='center'><select name='op'><option value='CategoryModify' selected>"._MODIFY."</option>\n";
  if ($cidinfo['active'] ==1) {
    echo "<option value='CategoryDeactivate'>"._DL_DEACTIVATE."</a>\n";
  } else {
    echo "<option value='CategoryActivate'>"._DL_ACTIVATE."</a>\n";
  }
  echo "<option value='CategoryDelete'>"._DL_DELETE."</option></select> ";
  echo "<input type='submit' value='"._DL_OK."' /></td></tr>\n";
  echo "</form></tr>\n";

There are more errors. I think it won't be difficult to make those changes in the new download module from RavenNuke in order to add external links but remember they way evo nuke handles javascript files is very far from RavenNuke distro.

Take a look at this link so you understand how far we can go
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I think it won't be difficult to make those changes in the new download module from RavenNuke in order to add external links but remember they way evo nuke handles javascript files is very far from RavenNuke distro.

I agree - the installation involves modifications to header.php, javascript.php and more. But I'm interested in seeing the code to understand how several features were implemented. Can one of you PM a direct download link or email a copy?

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote

You can download it from CT. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Thanks

montego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote

Not sure what base the EVO download module was built upon, but just keep in mind that when the RN Team decided to switch Download modules, the new module that is in 2.5.x has a different set of tables than the original... If you are starting out from the beginning, then no problem. If you converted (upgraded) to the new and have added some since, then you may have to re-enter those downloads again in the EVO module.

tkikita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote

So you guys consider upgrading the downloads module in raven ? Smile

you can add thumbs and external mirror and should be enough too Smile
that yould be a great step anyway.

montego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote

tkikita, we have a lot of work already planned for RN 3.0, so no-one here can commit to such said enhancements, but I have had on my roadmap list of this module the following two enhancements for quite some time:

Thumbnails

Mirror (multiple links)

The problem is finding the time...

tkikita

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote

Thank you. I will wait. Raven 100 %.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic