Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
gator81
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote

when you create a news file at the top is the first block that says "title" that info is used for links back to the news and old news.

Is there a way to make the title opaque for the title of the news page? in other words a way to remove the title from being seen as a news title. I ask because its hard to resize everything, if it could just be made where you couldnt see the title, or not even show on the title and still fill in the title so you know what it is and will show for old title block.

sorry if it is confusing, i can try to explain in more detail if it would be easier.

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote

Yes, a little bit more detail would be easier. Smile

You are mean a module, a block or the article view in your theme?
If you mean a theme, which theme you are using?

gator81

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote

Ok, when you go create a new block for news, and the editor comes up. At the top, the first thing you can input is the "title". This is also what is at the top of the block when finish entering the rest of the info and create the block. When you look at the block on the home page at the top you will see the "title" that you put in the editor in small font. This is also done in a few other blocks where the "title" is also shown at the top.
I am wanting to keep the title for inventory reasons, but to stop it from showing on the block.
I know you can omit a "title" and it will not show at the top of the block and will still work, but it is harder to keep up with if you have alot of them to deal with.

After posting this i may of found where the change would have to go but i am far from know how.
If you goto your admin folder and open the block.php file you will see alot of times that "title" is called. I am just wanting to keep it from posting in the block, i still want it to post for the database and list that shows when you want to edit one.

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote

You mean the Block-Adminstration or better the titles of blocks on left and right side? Don't make changes in the blocks.php, you must change the theme.php of you used theme. What for theme you are using?

Look in the "Administration Menu" under the link "Themes". You will found the theme name below the line: "Default Theme for your site:"! You will found your theme files in the themes folder.

gator81

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote

I seem to be either misunderstanding you, or i am confusing you. I will try to explain this better.

from a fresh install, default theme, when you can load the home page for the first time you get the ravennuke book and some info under that. At the top of the box in small text is the title that says something like "welcome to ravennuke" or something real close. Now at the bottom if i click on edit it will open the admin window and I scroll down and see the box Edit message. The first line for input is "Title" and it has welcome to ravennuke.
That title is what I am wanting to keep, but not show on the home page. There is only one way for this to not be on the home page and that is to leave the box empty, but that can make it harder if you alot of news you want to edit or do anything with. So i am looking for a way to have text there but not post on the home page.
I had asked something like this a long time ago and was told it would be to much work, but since this release i was wanting to check again.

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote

You know, what are you try to use are messages from the admins to the site vistors?

The messages are a short displayed content for quick messages. Here is a title important. If you want change it, you must change the corefiles. I would advise against it, and you better make use of the news.

Is it not better to create a news stream or don't you want news in home or you will try to use the messages as news or do you want a static content in home?

gator81

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

I still want a message there, but I can create a message with a different title with more control of the title. If i create a title in the edit feature then the small text that shows looks out of place.
Thank you for trying to help, I will keep trying my little trial and error and who knows I may get lucky some day Smile
thank you.

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote

I would advise against it, because you have no RSS feeds, you have only one SEO title and description and no dynamic content. Your complete home content is not more SEO friendly... don't do it!

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Are you wanting to increase the size of the title text?

If so you will need to add a css class in the mainfile.php in function message_box().

You will find all the instances of ' . $title . ' and add a class to the div, then style that class in your themes style.css.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for the responce, neralex has been trying to help me and I still feel like I am being misunderstood.
For the center box's I am trying to find a way to hide the title that shows if while in the news editor you enter for a title. If you don't put anything in the title box then there is no title, you then have to remember all news by the number for that item if you need to correct or change anything. This also makes it hard for archive of old news as it will only show as a number.
This way if the title is hidden for the home only it would still show info for archive's and make it easier to find.
I am sorry just making the text bigger would not really do what i want as I would still be limited to one size, one font.
Even though i have been warned I am still looking at the admin/modules/block.php file, when i look through this it seems that title is only shown a small amount. It seems to be broken down into different segments. one looks like a main block, then there are left and right blocks and sql tables. If i can guess the right one from trial and error i might get lucky and stop it from showing on the home and still retain it for the rest. If not then I all i can say is i tried :/ The other option would be to find the css line and try to make it the same color as the background.

nuken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote

If you want the title blank, try to use a non breaking space instead of a title. Just put
Code:

in the title field.

If you want to remove the title, find the ' . $title . ' in mainfile.php under the function message_box() and remove it.

nuken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote

If you want it removed in blocks, in your themes theme.php, remove the $title from function themesidebox and function themecenterbox

gator81

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote

I have not tried anything with the mainfile.php yet, but in responce to the last post I have tried many ways that you explained and had bad results. To make sure I tested this with a couple of the default themes that are with 2.5
RavenIce: I will show code just for reference
Code:
function themecenterbox($title, $content, $bid = '') {

global $admin, $admin_file;
   echo '
   <div class="block_center">
      <div class="block_gradient">
      <div class="block_top"><div><h3>'.$title.'</h3></div></div>
   </div>
   <div class="block_content">'
   , $content;
   if (is_admin($admin) && !empty($bid)) {
      echo '<br /><br /><div class="text-center">[ <a href="' , $admin_file , '.php?op=BlocksEdit&amp;bid=' , $bid , '">' , _EDIT , '</a> ]</div>' , "\n";
   }
   echo '</div>
      <div class="article_bot"><div>&nbsp;</div></div>
   </div>';
}

On the first line i just tried removing the $title, and saved, after this i had no changes. On the lower line I removed '.$title.' and save and no results.
since this was center I was looking at the main top box title and it was always there.
I then tried the next one
Code:
function themesidebox($title, $content, $bid='') {

echo '
  <div class="block">
      <div class="block_top"><div><h3>'.$title.'</h3></div></div>
    </div>
    <div class="block_content">
       '.$content.'
    </div>
  </div>
  ';
}

again when i first removed the $title, at the top the left blocks lossed all their information and the titles moved down one and I saw 3 blocks with 3 titles. I went down and did the same for the next title like i did with center and there was no difference.

I tried this in a few different themes and have the same result. Some themes dont even have a function themecenterbox

I really dont need to do the side boxes, just the center would be great.

I thank you for all the time you have helped and will pass on to the leaders of my church about the extra everyone has done to help. They may not know your real names but they will probally still say a prayer for you all.

nuken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote

For the center blocks, try this:

Code:
function themecenterbox($title, $content, $bid = '') {

global $admin, $admin_file;
   echo '
   <div class="block_center">
      <div class="block_top"><div>&nbsp;</div></div>
   </div>
   <div class="block_content">'
   , $content;
   if (is_admin($admin) && !empty($bid)) {
      echo '<br /><br /><div class="text-center">[ <a href="' , $admin_file , '.php?op=BlocksEdit&amp;bid=' , $bid , '">' , _EDIT , '</a> ]</div>' , "\n";
   }
   echo '</div>
   </div>';
}

gator81

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote

nuken: I had done that just like you have there, and just to make sure I copied and pasted yours in the theme after taking the other out and the result was the same. It didnt work. this was using the Ravinice theme. It would be nice if there was a check box beside title that kept it from posting title on the block......maby something to consider for future releases.

I thank you for the generous time everyone has put into helping me. I will try to change the color to match the background or just not put anything in the title.

thank you

edit:
I have also been asking "Papa Mike" since i am trying to use one of his themes. there are 2 files in the theme folder called
story_home.html
story_page.html
he had me remove this line from both of them an it seems to work so i wanted to pass the info on in case it could help anyone else.

remove:

<div class="newstitle"><a href="modules.php?name=News&amp;new_topic=$topic"><b>$title</b></a></div></td>

and for the new storys and news items posted the title was not there, yet when you wanted to edit for admin the title is there.

Now i will see if the same thing can be done to the main top block on the home page and I will be set Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic