Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Exclamation

Last edited by neralex on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total 
hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I just tested and it works really nice. Thanks.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote

neralex, that looks nice. If Palbin was involved or saw this, I'm sure he will consider it for inclusion in a future release. This is the kind of useful contribution that helps make RavenNuke better for everyone.

Thank you!

neralex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote

No problem, i have missed the editor a long time inside this module and the backend had some old codelines. Its a little fresh up for this old weblinks module. Smile

Last edited by neralex on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total 
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Playing devils advocate. Why even have a weblinks module and support thousands of lines of code?

Why not just type what you want to find into the Google search box and have it find it? I know there would be extraneous and commercialized links returned but basically Google does everything a user would need. Weblinks might be fine if someone was dedicated to keeping it updated manually, day after day and year after year but that will never happen. Back to the start of the thread, could you show your father how Google works and would that suit his needs?

KennyW
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote

Great work Neralex

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote

fkelly, some sites may want to have a special directory of recommended sites that isn't Google.

Now, about supporting thousands of lines of code...maybe we can do something about that.

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote

fkelly, my father is realy happy with the ckeditor and if i now explain my father he can not use the editor for simply adding links in an existing module, i believe he can not understand it, because the rest of all modules using the editor for set descriptions.

And my father knows google and he can use it, too. But kguske, have it written right. The little union has partner-pages and my father want add the links in catagories. Make it more sense to write again thousends codelines, if we have an module for that? Many clan-pages using this module for partner-links, too.

Yes, the module is very old but i know it from my first php nuke installations and its not bad. The functions are simple but well thought out. If we refresh all phpnuke modules, why not the weblinks module, too? Its an part of all phpnuke forks and i think, we don't exclude this.

fkelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote

Still playing devil's advocate ... so you want to have a bunch of links and categorize them and have some text describing them ...

So, write a content (using our content module) article. Inside the wysiwyg editor box write the descriptive text. Then use the links editor in there to write your link. Your choice as to whether you want to spell the link out our just use the "click here" format.

Save your article, test all the links, and publish it. You've used ckeditor to accomplish what a whole *nuke module does. Pretty much. The same goes for downloads by the way. Put a link to a download in and tell people to right click and save as. I do it all the time in a content article

Click here to see
http://webmhcc.org/rn/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=20

okay these are pdf files but you get the point. There's no need for an entire downloads module and all the junk (rate this etc.) associated with it.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote

That might work for you, you devil Smile, but might not for everyone. The ability to search and display by category might be important to sites that have many downloads / weblinks. Yes, you could accomplish with a content page, but using a module might be easier that forcing the webmaster to maintain that structure on one or more webpages.

To return the devil's advocate "favor," why have any content modules at all other than the generic content module? I mean, you could create a web store, calendar, feeds, newsletter, news, feedback, your account - everything on a content page, no?

fkelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
To return the devil's advocate "favor," why have any content modules at all other than the generic content module? I mean, you could create a web store, calendar, feeds, newsletter, news, feedback, your account - everything on a content page, no?

That's a good question. Seriously it is, and I've made a similar argument in some of our Road Map discussions. What we really need is a meta-content level that sits above and generates each of our present CONTENT (news, content, reviews, FAQ, web links, download etc.) modules. The site admin would specify (and be able to create) the content type and the field types associated with that content There would also be a meta level associated with categorization (the present category, topics, tags mishmash that we inconsistently apply across our content modules). Once you know field types within a content type you could automatically generate forms, filtering and database updates. But ... I guess that's getting off track just a bit.

In the context of the current discussion thread ... yes I agree that in an ideal world a dedicated web links and a dedicated download module ... ones that are purpose built ... would be better than a generic approach. I just question whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote

Yes, a good question - and it was a bit rhetorical (see the design of nukeFEED and nukeSEO DH, which is similar to the approach for nukeSLIDER, and my discussions on comments, ratings, etc.).

Joomla and Drupal (and possibly other CMSs) use a single-content table approach, but, IMO, one of the benefits of xNuke has always been a simple programming model that allows easy integration with other applications / systems (e.g. phpBB) and developers of all interests and skill levels to contribute.

neralex's contribution is a perfect example of that, and we should nurture and encourage those contributions.

Thanks again, neralex! Almost everyone on the RN team initially got involved this way. Some, like fkelly, jakec, dad7732, FireATST and dawg, found needles (bugs) in the RN haystack, to use an American expression. Susann makes sure multiple languages and international requirements are supported. Others, like Palbin, Montego and Guardian2003, focus on improving the core and security. Still others, like SpasticDonkey, nuken, jestrella and killing-hours, work on functional enhancements / modules. Raven, of course, guides the process with much knowledge, experience and patience. This isn't an all-inclusive list, especially as there have been many others who have contributed over the years - and just about everyone has provided support and contributed in other ways, too. My point is to show that many people - including many that aren't "officially" on the team - have made useful contributions like this. They are greatly appreciated by the community!
RavensScripts

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote

worship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic