Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
nextgen
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Friends i am getting some very odd registrations at the site. All are from gmail and i do not want to block gmail but at least 30 registrations which are spam have been trying to get registered.

What can be done if anything to at least slow this down.

It is amazing how fast spam bots find a site. Is the Nuke CMS a magnet for such events ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:00 am Reply with quote

Maybe try Nukespam from NukeSeo.com
Also check this: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
From which country are these spam registrations ?
I have seen a lot from China in the last time and banned these just via cidr in .htaccess.

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
I have seen a lot from China in the last time and banned these just via cidr in .htaccess.

Yes, it seems that is the best way. I have deactivated the user registration on my page and i block all ips from China but i see every day again new ips from this country. Maybe these bots look for URLs of known systems.

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I have deactivated the user registration on my page

This is something warpspeed should consider too.
Quote:
Maybe these bots look for URLs of known systems

I have not yet figured out why the came now in mass from China and what they try to find sites.

They use a lot of server bandwidth and this traffic isn ´t worth anything.
So it ´s your decision how to handle this. There are many ways and like my old friend Hitwalker said:"Banning a country is fun".

nextgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote

I hate to ban an entire country nor would i like to ban the gmail.com so i will try the nuke spam and the .htaccess edits. Thanks friends.

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Since I have Nuke Spam I don't have this issues and my opinion is different. I will never ban a whole country just because of some massive registration.

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Believe me just about every website that allows for registration has to deal with registration spam nowadays, just the nature of the web @ current. I think the larger problem is that the captcha in general has outlived is usefulness, as in many cases computer software can now read them better than humans.

They are often very hard to decipher, and apparently you need to know calculus too, lol.

The problem is there is no good replacement for the captcha as of yet, but here's an interesting article which proposes some theoretical alternatives: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I believe phpbb3 has a mod which adds a questionnaire prior to even accessing the registration form, which is something we will probably see more of in the war versus bad bots.

nextgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Very nice article, thanks for the ref friend.

nextgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote

I like the mini game idea.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Yes, something simple like the mini-games Google has been featuring during the Olympics would be cool
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote

I like the simple image captcha and this one
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to drag and drop. Better than the regular spastic showed as an example.

nextgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote

I added to Nuke Spam so will see how that goes. I usually got hit on average about 4 times an hour. So far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote

hi nextgen, long time no see u. I try to access to your site but it is available.

nextgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote

I am on it right now my friend are you going to alterednuke.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote

yes and I can not enter there. I got a blank page Unable to connect. Is the site down?

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
Believe me just about every website that allows for registration has to deal with registration spam nowadays, just the nature of the web @ current.

I think we all know this already. But I found it quite abnormal whats going on at 3 of my sites with chinese registrations. This has never been a real issue before. Times changed so fast. In 2004 and earlier the web was still a good place in my opinion. Smile But that s all over.

Like Cyber crime this will also increase in the future because its the nature of the web(Zombies, Botnets, Human Spammer,Scammer and other kinds of Vermin are reality) and there is no real way to go back... Sad

Anyway NukeSentinel is good to track and ban many of it.

nextgen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
I think we all know this already. But I found it quite abnormal whats going on at 3 of my sites with chinese registrations. This has never been a real issue before. Times changed so fast. In 2004 and earlier the web was still a good place in my opinion. Smile But that s all over.

Like Cyber crime this will also increase in the future because its the nature of the web(Zombies, Botnets, Human Spammer,Scammer and other kinds of Vermin are reality) and there is no real way to go back... Sad

Anyway NukeSentinel is good to track and ban many of it.

Very sad but true.

I do not ever remember it being as persistent as this. As always though solutions are always found here. You guys are great. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic