Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
j4rdin
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone looked into how RN v2.5 websites can be made compliant with the new EU Cookie Law which comes into law this month ?????

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Can you link us to the law?

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
j4rdin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Palbin wrote:
Can you link us to the law?

See the url below for the info I had emailed to me from 123-reg.co.uk has overview and some links to other sites.

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/blog/security-issues/is-the-eus-cookie-law-confusing-you-too?_$ja=tsid:38740

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote

Guardian did an article on it recently... [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Sounds like a pita and not sure how they will go about enforcing it. Stating that "any business that conducts business with with EU citizens" must comply, I can't see how they could possibly enforce that.

The fact that social services such as disqus comments or facebook like buttons could fall under this is ridiculous. If you are overly concerned with your online privacy you shouldn't be a member of those sites in the first place.... or at very least log out before browsing the web.

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote

It seems like you should be able to add a document to the legal module dealing specifically with the EU Cookie Law explaining that the cookies on the site are used for user management and or analytics. If you have 3rd party addons like google analytics or discus, you would probably need to mention that as well and refer them to those sites disclaimers on the cookie law. If you require the TOS to be checked on registration and for users if they are changed in the Edit Users admin.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
It seems like you should be able to add a document to the legal module dealing specifically with the EU Cookie Law

At present I just have the standard Legal pages that came with RN 2.40.01 and they already have a section on cookies, I assume that you are suggesting that I add a new section (probably at the front) just for the EU compliance. Have the legal pages changed between that version and RN 2.50 latest version?

I have now activated the opt in tick box's for the T&C at login and registration as suggested.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Enforcement would be on a per-case scenario so it will take considerable time for the legislation to be tweaked into a more meaningful and appropriate piece of legislation.
As usual, they (Information Commissionaire) hasn't looked at the implications this legislation has and have no understanding of the technical aspects of cookies and how they work.

As with the Human Rights Act and Data Protection Act 1998, the preference is to have individuals explicitly "opt-in", so if you have your T&C active for registration, you are covered. If you can, give a brief overview of what cookies are used and what they are used for i.e. language settings etc.

eldorado
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote

I don't see why nuke sites are obliged to make this opt-in cookie thing?
while i live in France (in EU) no one has informed us of this obligation and there are no enforced anti-non-opt-in agency yet.

As far as i know , Data protection right in France is managed by a government agency called "La CNIL" see here [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] which was also mandated to verify this european law: one of two things a webmaster has to obey when dealing with french citizen (this may concern US websites too)

Data controllers' obligations
    Notify the file and its characteristics to the CNIL, except when exempted by law or by the CNIL
    Ensure that citizens are in a position to exercise their rights through information.
    Ensure data security and confidentiality, to protect them from distortion or disclosure to unauthorised third parties
    Accept on-site inspections by the CNIL, and reply to any request for information.

also
Data protection rights
    Every person may contact an organisation directly to find out if he is listed or not by that organisation.
    Every person may, on simple request addressed to the organisation in question, have free access to all the information concerning him in clear language (any codes must be explained) and obtain a copy against payment of a fee, fixed by the State, of 3 € for the public sector and 4,6 € for the private sector.
    Every person may directly require from an organisation holding information about him that the data be corrected (if they are wrong), completed or clarified (if they are incomplete or equivocal), or erased
    Every person may oppose that information about him is used for advertising purposes or for commercial purposes;

Every person may ask the CNIL to proceed with checks of the information concerning him
    Every person may contact the CNIL to receive assistance
    in the exercise of his rights (particularly if his right of access has been denied).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Well this is an old post am going to bring back up.
i have just installed raven as my cms .Has anybody been able to sort this out?
I had a php nuke site and they blocked me signing in as admin because no warning of cookies was in place.
Is there a module ?

Cheers guys

nuken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote

Curious...who blocked you? How?

dva-dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote

Hi it was a few months ago when i had standard nuke running.
It wouldnt let me sign in either as admin or member.I cant remember the exact message it gave me but when i googled it was something like "due to eu cookie law cookie must be enabled on this site".

Then i switched to e107 put a cookie module in there so it says "this site uses cookie etc etc by entering this site you accept bla bla bla".
And i never had any problems.

As to how they can block it i have no idea.
So i have installed raven nuke and dont realy know if the same thing is gona happen,
Or there was a way of putting something like a pop-up say except cookies to enter site etc

Cheers guys sorry i cant be much help

Dragon

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote

I understood the site that blocked was YOUR site, but that appears to be incorrect. You visited another Nuke site that prompted you.

Have you tried the approach suggested on the link Nuken provided? [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

dva-dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Well i will leave the site as it is and if it happends again which it will i will post back here .

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote

RavenNuke does not have this cookie prompt built in so there is no way you could be blocked from your own website.

wHiTeHaT
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote

I like the this cookie acceptence script.

Be aware that some cookies you are allowed to store and some not.
Dutch links:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic