Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x
thumpn8974
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote

Hey, I have been trying to find post that show you how to put a You Tube video or other streaming video into my forums post. I am sure I am overlooking it, but is there a way to do it where it doesn't just show up as a link?

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote

Yes, there is. I have a partially done update for 2.5 but just have too many things to do. Sad

This was done for 2.4 so DO NOT use the pre-edited files unless you are running 2.4.01. You will need to use a tool like winmerge to merge the advanced bbcode changes into the current forum files and templates
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
(just a testing site don't post questions there Smile )

this earlier version includes instructions that will give you an idea of what was changed. I would not follow those instructions as the more recent version has a couple tweaks/changes, but should give you an idea. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

OR, If you are willing to wait a little while I will get around to this Wink

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I am in no hurry. I just added an area for funny videos and pics and I wanted people to be able to post links and things in the forums. I just didn't know if there was a way to post you tube vids in it or not. I appreciate that you are working on it, and please let me know when/ where I can get it from when it is done. (if you don't mind)

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote

sure no prob, did a little work on it today as I'm trying to get some of my own sites updated, and need it for those. I'll let y'all know.

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote

Well made some good progress but still a ways to go, as I got into tweaking/adding a few features. A little sneak peek as I have a dynamic twitter bbcode working (pending more testing and/or discovering some game-changer)

Code:
[twitter]nuken1[/twitter]

[twitter]ravennuke[/twitter]
[twitter]_nukeseo[/twitter]
[twitter]montegoscripts[/twitter]

result

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote

That is awesome! Too bad there isn't some way to integrate face book into a website.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote

It would be possible to do something similar for facebook, but their api is notoriously one of the worst for developers (constant changes and invalid markup), plus an api key would be required... Unfortunately I don't have time to update this every couple of months, so I'm going to stay away from facebook w/ this.

Regarding twitter, I did about as much reading as I could tolerate regarding twitter api restrictions, and to the best of my knowledge the method I have used should be ok without an api key.. Some major sites are using the same method w/o an api key, as the retrieval of tweets is done on the client side with javascript/ajax/jsonp... There are restrictions for users (based on ip) for get type requests from twitter, but the data returned from twitter is actually a result of a post (i believe) so it should fall outside of these restrictions. Even if that is not the case it does appear to cache the result, so unless you are viewing 150+ different twitter signatures in less than an hour, you should be ok. Also added logic for only one json request per username, per page, regardless if it appears multiple times on a page; such as in a signature.

Did try a facebook block awhile back but it was such a PITA to style, it was easier to restyle the entire site to match the block, rather than the other way around... so ultimately it was put on the shelf. May revisit at a later date, but have many other projects with a higher priority.

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear you; I have to prioritize everything, too. I am going to school, have a family, and am trying to maintain several websites.

I wish FB wasn't such a hassle. Some other ideas (if possible) would be if there was a way for my fellow clan members to view their stats from the Elite.callofduty.com website. I talked to a rep at Activision and they said they might open it up for that, but we shall see. They can't even do all the stuff they promised for the Elite Premium...lol. However, that is a total other subject.

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

Just making doing a status check to see how it is going; not trying to bother you just see how its going.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Ahh, no bother, had been meaning to give an update. Making good progress but got a little complicated with some of the new features and improvements. Pretty close on the "dark theme" but still needs a little more work, and then need to style out to match other themes. I'm not going to detail every change just yet, but those familiar with the mod might notice some new and missing buttons.

There are several "toolbars" which are hidden and toggled into view by one of the buttons, such as the color/swatch picker. With the exception of options related to video/audio embeds, select menus have been replaced by buttons.

While the old methods of utilizing some of the advanced bbcode tags are still supported for backwards compatibility, most bbcode tags now use a class based system instead of inline styling.

Code:
[class="georgia"][/class]

[class="large"][/class]
[class="x-large"][/class]

You can also combine these and use some of the default css classes in ravennuke.css
[class="georgia x-large uppercase"][/class]
(this requires a minor addition to your style.css to override any use of display and visibility properties, as you don't want users using those...)

This includes video/audio, so for example you can now choose a size and position based on some pre-defined css classes.
Code:
[youtube="video-large-center"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxyJGMJ_P8[/youtube]

[youtube="video-small-left"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxyJGMJ_P8[/youtube]

This would output a large centered video and small left floated video, respectively. There is of course a simple "wizard" to help output the correct classes, and a theme can define/override what these classes actually do.

Tested and working on the latest browsers, but still need to test in at least IE8. No longer have access or care much about IE7, at least for this. Some other new tags

Code:
[wiki]search term[/wiki]

[wiki=en]search term[/wiki]
[wiki=de]search term[/wiki]

[duck]search term[/duck]

[tag]keyword search tag[/tag]

[twitter]nuken1[/twitter]

[archive="video-large-center"]http://archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead[/archive]
Did you know some movies are in the public domain, such as "Night of the Living Dead"? Or that there is such a thing as open-source music? Might take a little digging but there are jems to be found, from Mozart to 311. http://archive.org/

[archive="audio"]http://archive.org/details/MozartEineKleineNachtmusik[/archive]

which would output something like this:

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote

That looks awesome!!! Looking forward to it!

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Looks great!!
Are implementing any syntax highlighting (geshi?) or just using styling on the 'code' tag?

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote

I had planned on including an optional addon for code highlighting as the changes are minimal. I tried about a half dozen syntax highlighters awhile back (GeSHi, Chili, prettify, Syntax Highlighter,Highlight) and had the best luck with Highlight [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

It's auto-language detection worked as good or better than the rest, comes with several themes, and integration and theme creation is pretty easy. Not to mention it is compatible with my style-switcher theme I will return to someday.. Smile

So ya, I'll include an option for that, configured for highlight js. Would be relatively easy to switch to another JS based highlighter if desired... Geshi might be another matter..

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote

Serves me right for assuming something would be easy, but I eventually got "most" of the way there for a built-in highlighting option.

The difficult part was supporting the old method of code tags while adding the option for language specific snippets. Eventually settled on a new tag for those.
[pre=php][/pre]
[pre=css][/pre]
[pre=javascript][/pre]

etc... which will also wrap in a html5 friendly "language-xxx" class, btw Wink

You can still use standard code tags and the script will do it's best to detect language. fyi, for those that don't need highlighting this will be optional...

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote

Very exciting stuff spasticdonkey! I'm looking forward to using this.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote

Cannot wait to see this in Beta Smile
Looking at the use of PRE tags, I presume you went with highlight.js, which seems a pretty decent highlighter by the looks of it.
When there's a testing version available, I'm looking forward to seeing if I could leverage it to work with Palbin's CKeditor mod as well.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Still making progress, got hung up a bit extending the bbcode faq so that users will know how to use the new features. Also pulling some of the bbcode faq's directly into the editor via ajax; with a nice slide-toggle animation Smile

Still have some work to do in the Private Message area and with smilies, but after that I can move forward with styling the mod for other themes and completing the install instructions... I would say a beta some time in the next couple weeks, but hopefully prior to that.

Guardian2003, good news on the CKeditor mod. Smile Yes I went with highlight, and the only issues I had with it when using the FCKeditor was that <code> tags were stripped out; and it also didn't like any use of \' in the code. Kinda silly because you could still pass \' by using \\''

You also had to make sure to encode any < & > on your own.

Have not had a chance to revisit on 2.5 or with the CKeditor though. BTW, the highlighter will work on pre elements alone, or other elements for that matter... Although the themes are all targeted toward "pre code" and would need to be adjusted to highlight "pre" or other elements.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Exciting stuff!

thumpn8974

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I know I can't wait to use it. It looks SWEET!!!

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote

Still making progress, got started on the documentation and the slew of pre-edited files.

Most of the way there on the dark and light themed editors, here's the light style with the color panel toggled into view, and the "open tag" and "panel" indication (darker colored buttons)

We'll see how much I get done before the 15th, unfortunately working on taxes tomorrow+ Sad

eldorado
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
got started on the documentation

As a translator , i should say this: Oh my god
people don't need help really....everything is crystal clear Wink
spasticdonkey wrote:
unfortunately working on taxes tomorrow+ Sad

even worse Sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote

I agree that translations aren't critical on this, as it's pretty clear what most buttons do. So much of the help is within a JS file, so I did come up with a method to load alternate versions of the script by language... Not really necessary, but it's there if someone wants to take the time Smile

There is also some inline ajax help that could be translated, which is pulled from the BBcode FAQ page, but once again not critical.

eldorado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
Not really necessary, but it's there if someone wants to take the time Smile

You read my mind Smile

I actually think that mod is awesome , i wouldn't mind testing it ....err...translating it Very Happy

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Well finished my taxes Smile

Making some progress as a couple more editor "themes" added
SAND
CRIMSON

Although I'm running into some issues in testing, mostly IE related, which has slowed things down a bit. Finding that IE9/64bit (can't test on 32bit) does not handle multiple iframes on a page very well... this also is causing issues within the "topic review" on the posting page. Iframe is the preferred method of audio/video embeds as youtube and the internet archive will deliver different embeds depending on device and/or capability (html5/mobile versions). If the old method is used you are stuck with flash only.

Not really sure how I'm addressing this yet.... Not sure if a good fix exists, other than don't use ie9.. Sad

If you are using ie9 visit [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] to see some of the problems with ie9 and iframe. Although that is not exactly the issue at play here, which is a "lag" as the iframes load which can lead to "not responding" if you click on something or attempt to scroll. It will eventually load, unless you keep clicking on stuff which may crash the browser... Sad

I'm seeing this same behavior on youtube itself to a lesser degree, which is not using iframe and only embeds a single video per page. So I don't see much use in adapting the entire approach to accommodate IE, as no guarantees it would work any better. Of course I am also discovering the issue a little later in the process of creating this mod than I would like.

If anyone has ideas, speak now or forever hold your peace Wink

P.S. Have a couple of options regarding the topic review issue:
A: Load the topic review by ajax when it becomes viewable, this at least delays the IE lag until the topic review is scrolled into view.

B: Click a link to load the topic review by ajax. Leaning towards this, but what do you think?

UPDATE: After spending several hours on this today I restarted my pc and the problem went away... LOL (not really) Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke(tm) v2.5x

View next topic
View previous topic