Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues
aeroskyn
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote

I am trying to change colors in this template. I have found where many changes can be made in style.css. No problem there.

My problem arises from some parts of the page are actually small .png files or pictures of a corner, side, or a bottom. I duplicated those items, recolored them to my liking, uploaded, changed the css file to reflect new .png files. My problem is they don't turn out like the original .png files did.

For instance, the navigation bar at the top, was composed of 3 .png files. Number 1 was for the left side, no.2 was for the middle, and no.3 was for the right side of that particular box. I made my new items with exact dimensions as those. My results had both edges missing and the middle was not continuous...sorta skippy. The rest of the colors, I can change with no problems by just replacing the color number in the css file.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix? I must be over looking something.....

Thanks for any assistance given.

Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote

You [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] try this.

killing-hours
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote

aeroskyn, post me a screenshot or link me to the site so I can see it. I've used this theme as a template to learn from and I've changed those images a couple times now.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. My site is here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

That particular header is made of 3 .png files, nav01, nav02, and na03. Nav01 is not seeing the nav01 I replaced it with. If someone can show me what I am doing wrong, I think I can fix this in other places as well.

I have gone thru the style.css a few times, now. There are things that when changed, show zero effects. I have since learned there is more to this (css) than meets the eye. I am learning about 'thrColFixHdr', which appears to be the culprit, but not seeing anything that demonstrates how to put together and use these .png pictures.

If anyone knows of a good tutorial or references, I would appreciate the link or links. I am also surprised in the way RavenNuke works from template to template, I just thought they would work alike.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote

Didn't mean to over-look your contribution Bobby, but I want to at least try to learn what is needed before I search for a ready made fix. Thanks.

bobbyg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote

Actually I used it to override the oscommerce theme colors to match the RN theme I was using. I have not used it to override the RN theme colors.

killing-hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote

aeroskyn, after taking a quick peek at your setup... right off the bat I see a problem with the image at the top left in the nukNav bar.

screenshot:

The css for this image:
Code:
.navleft {

background: url("../images/nav01.png") repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
    clear: none;
    float: left;
    height: 39px;
    width: 12px;
}

The "white" at the top left is actually your png...

Which has dimensions of "77x75".

So basically you're image is greater is size than the allocated space provided by the css and the page is showing the top left CORNER of your png.

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Nice, but before I take the ball and run with it, I have a few more questions. What does the transparent and clear (none) mean, in that code you supplied?

Also, the way I created my png from the supplied png was probably not the correct way. I right clicked on the png on the website and viewed it, then took a screen shot and opened in paint. It was too small to work with, so I zoomed in a few times and recolored. I did not zoom out before saving. I guess this is why it is bigger than original was. It also wasn't quite centered as the original, either. Is there a tool required to work on these? Do you have a name or preference for it?

I tried to redownload 2.4 files to re acquire these png files, but they are no longer listed on Raven's site.... new and improved 2.5 is. (Are they available elsewhere?)

I am guessing that my new png file needs to be the same size as the original, is the position also critical?

In any event, I'll be playing around with this until I get stumped or get it fixed. Thanks for your assistance, killing-hours.

killing-hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote

The "clear" in the css code tells the browser to clear NONE of the floats within the parent element.

Illustration:

------------------------------------------
nav_01 | nav_02222222 | nav_03
------------------------------------------

The "parent" element is the wrapper and within the wrapper we have 3 sub elements with a float "left". When leaving the first sub element... we do NOT want to clear the floats because we have two more elements WITHIN the wrapper that also need to float to the left... hence "clear:none" UNTIL we reach the end of the parent element which has "clear:both" applied to it. It let's the browser know that when it leaves it (the wrapper element)... to clear the floats so it can build the rest of the page according to the rules applied to those particular elements.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

As for your technique in changing the png... highly incorrect. Keep in mind that paint does NOT save transparent backgrounds either if I remember correctly. (I never use it)

In any case... taking a screenshot and trying to manipulate it will produce horrible results anyhow. You need to get the originals and manipulate them to your liking. The files within the 2.5 release "should" be the same or very close to it. I don't think they changed at all.

Also... purely a heart to heart tip... if this site is in PRODUCTION phase (i.e. open to the web), you would be better off setting up a development environment and toying there until you're satisfied THEN migrating the changes to your PRODUCTION site. (It will keep your client happy as it doesn't look like the site is all jacked up)

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote

I would agree with killing-hours as you should never use paint for anything website related. Photoshop 7 is still very capable and can be had for around $100 with a little searching on ebay from a reputable seller (make sure it's full version not elements). If that is out of the question I have heard gimp is good and it's free.... although being a photoshop user since the late 90's I've never had a reason to try it.. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

killing-hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Fast and furious are we today? ;-P

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for all the assistance. I finally got the changes I think my client wanted.

Maybe one other thing.... in the menu on the left sidebar, I could not find the location to change that background color......

As a side question, how would I set up a 'development environment' to play with?? I agree, a live site isn't the place to toy around in.

I normally use gimp when I want more headaches ('Very Happy'). I should have known or at least suspected paintbrush would hinder more than help. I just don't use gimp often enough to get comfy with it.

You guys still rock! Thanks again for the support.

killing-hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote

the styling for the navigation block is in the "nukeNav.css" style sheet. Don't remember right off hand which ones there were... but there are 2 or 3 classes to change the "background" property in there.

Set the "nukeNavMod" class background to "transparent". Wink

BTW... your footer text runs off the end of the page is looks atrocious... probably due to the counter you've got in there. You need to remove the..

Quote:
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2010 by me.

You can syndicate our news using the file backend.php.

Distributed by Raven PHP Scripts
New code written and maintained by the RavenNuke(tm) TEAM

(Original PHP-Nuke Code Copyright © 2004 by Francisco Burzi)

and replace it with a link back to ravenphpscripts... like so...(example)

Code:
<a href="http://www.ravenphpscripts.com" target="_blank">Powered by RavenNuke(tm)</a>

You can see how I've done it on our website. (can also see how the theme should flow together)

Also, if you feel the need... you can change the "Eagle" icon that appears in the browser address bar by changing the "favicon.ico" image in the root directory. (Just another tip)

As for the development environment... I linked the site for you. "apachefriends".

aeroskyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote

Out-standing tutoring!

I took care of your recommendations also. Except the favicon, which I will get around to soon. I'm gonna work on the footer color, next. I think I saw that in the style section, while I was there.

My apology for missing your link to for the development environment. I will give that a shot as well.

Thanks again, killing-hours, and thanks to spasticdonkey and bobbyg, for your input. I can only wish google was this supportive.

killing-hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote

aeroskyn, the site looks much better! Good job. Glad you got the help you needed... we were all once in your shoes and to many times people are happy to say "go read this or that and learn it" rather than helping to explain "why" things are the way they are.

Good luck with your endeavor.

P.s. Google != real person. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic