Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote

With gratitude to Guardian for stimulating a review of 12 jQuery grid components, I selected DataTables and integrated that into nukeSPAM, specifically for displaying the log of blocked spammers.

Check out this screenshot of the prototype display for more details.

Just a few more tweaks before the final round of testing...

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote

Looking good.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote

Very Nice.... Like everything you do, very professional.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote

Looks very promising.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Sure beats my clunky PHP datagrid Smile
That jQuery powered one looks exceptionally nice, so congrats for taking the time to review them. I'm really intrigued and excited about the data exporting functionality.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Still a few issues to work out. For example, it uses AJAX to display the data (I'm anticipating LOTS of data). I need to secure the data access to prevent unauthorized access outside the intended functions.

Also, when you export using AJAX, it only exports what you see (at least, that what it does as it's configured). We could allow you to display all records (e.g. when using RNYA) either via AJAX or load once from the data, and it would export them all. But I'm thinking it would be OK to just export what you see. Thoughts?

Palbin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Are you running your AJAX call(s) through mainfile?

I do not understand what is going on with the export to offer an opinion.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Not yet running AJAX calls through mainfile, but that is the next step.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Wow. That was easy. I remembered that we did this for RNYA to dynamically check email and user name availability, so I used the same approach and had it working on the first try!

Now, to convert the database calls to use $db...

Palbin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote

I would suggest making it an op like any other in your module.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote

It's integrated as a module. Now just need to add whitelist functionality, clean up the code, test and package.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote

RE: export, I think both current page and full results useful. If you were thinking of wrapping this at the PHP end with something which could be used more generically throughout RN, I'd add an option to the PHP code to allow a button/link/something somewhere above/below the table and just have it go to a different PHP op to process the full export.

RE: AJAX requests. It sure would be nice to have a common interface (API!) in front of all current and future AJAX calls. One that handles including all the needed security and DB connectivity, etc., and then all anyone has to be worried with is writing the handler for the particular call being made. I think AJAX use is needing to grow. It provides a very rich end-user environment.

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote

Not sure I'll be able do do full exports with AJAX in the first release.

For AJAX requests, I use RNXHR to handle security without double counting Who Is Where.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Wasn't thinking Ajax for the full export. Was suggesting a link to a different op for that. No worries though. Very exciting work between you and Guardian!

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote

Check this out. It's a prototype of the whitelist maintenance function, with several interesting features. (Make sure to scroll through the screenshots on the lower left side and read the captions in the middle below each screenshot).

My friend Chris calls this kind of functional / interface overkill "seeding evolution." I like "assembling evolution" since the real heavy lifting is done by others. I hope that it does drive increased functionality - and especially improved interfaces - for RN.

montego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote

Wow! Yes, I agree with "improved interfaces for RN". I would love to see standard UI components chosen, whether currently used or not in a core module, to cover all the key UI use models and ensure a better consistent look-and-feel across all content within an RN site.

But, that is for another topic.

killing-hours
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote

kguske, are you sending the data back as html or json? I'm also using the dataTable plugin for Swank Xibit and I'm curious to find out how you build your table.

Also, on your exports... if you kinda fill me in on how you're trying to accomplish the export via ajax... I might be able to help you out with it. I don't run forums nor let users sign into our site without being approved by me first... so I'm not sure how the spam blocker functionality should work but if I can help I will.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote

json. I'll send you a prototype today - glad to hear you're using DataTables! I just resolved the last known issue, so it's really close to release (unless some of you soon-to-be Beta testers find something else).

killing-hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing how you coded. Json is the way to go for sure. Wink

Palbin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote

I noticed in functions.php two functions are creating there own database connection. Is there a reason for this?

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote

That is an external library created for standalone use. The functions that create database connections aren't used.

kguske

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote

Specifically, the functions are CreateDatabase and GetSpammerCount, neither of which is used. I left the code as it was for easy comparison with future versions of this library, but have commented out those functions so it's clear they aren't used (and, now, can't be used).

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote

nukeSPAM is released. Several fixes since the Beta version, and 3 enhancements:
- Added blocklist.de to the available DNS blacklists
- Moved the heavy lifting for the DataTables script (loading data) to a standard include file so it can be used with other modules / functions
- Added configuration for jQuery UI themes (currently in the nukeSPAM configuration, but should be integrated with RavenNuke theme management?)

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote

Nice!

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote

Thanks to Palbin for identifying and suggesting resolutions for several issues, and to Guardian and Montego for design review and input. That kind of feedback is what makes open source work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic