Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Issues/Problems With This Site
duck
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Not sure if it is the site or my FF actin up. But When quick Replying an early post after hitting submit I was redirected to an empty reply page (twice) eventually it worked. Also voting in this category for the display order didn't count my vote I think and once I edited a post immediately after posting and hit submit and the change didn't take. Had to re do it. As I say it is probably my FF acting up but just in case I am submitting the report.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote

I would agree with you. I have been getting upwards of 2 dozen Server not found error message from FF per day! And it is leaking memory like a siv causing me to have to shut it down and restart it every single time! I am planning on scrapping it and switching over to Chrome because I have NEVER had 1 issue with Chrome.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Not to mention the speed factor of Chrome vs. the lag feature of FF Mad

duck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote

hmm yeah I think I will revisit with Chrome later. I rebooted entire machine and yet I viewed this thread via email link first but then I viewed the Forum it was in Cause I saw from index Spastic had a post but inside the "issues with this site" forum I could not see my thread topic (this very thread) at all. I refreshed the page once or twice and suddenly it showed up. I dunno if I am losing my sanity or FF is playing tricks on me or what? Mind you I am using an extremely outdated version of FF (While slow I trusted it's stability up till now especially with plugin compatibility. I am on 3.6) I run 9 on other machine and its quite fast. Faster than Chrome actually but haven't used enough to rate the stability yet.

duck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote

testing for weirdness with Chrome

duck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote

ok the problem is deeper than FF. Either my system is having issues or this site is. I am seeing weird stuff with Chrome too.

duck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote

I think it is this site Cause I have yet to notice an error of the likes I have seen here yet on other sites I've posted today. If Raven you'd like to get in Team Speak with me I'd be happy to help reproduce and explain issues to you and see if we can see what is going on? I used Chrome and Replied with the Test post. Worked fine and reloaded forum after posting and my post was there. Went out to index and back into forum and then back into thread and my test post was gone. (using Chrome) so I replied the "Seems Chrome has issues too" post and then when I reloaded after posting it the test post was back. Weird stuff!

duck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote

I am thinking caching issues

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote

The thing is, I don't programmatically control the browser caching that users use - they do.

duck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote

Actually I was thinking your site was using caching either for files or DB queries? I can't see 2 different browsers displaying similar behaviour and only on one site being a browser configured cache issue? I dunno but again if I am the only one reporting or notticing a strange issue I would conclude it is my system. To be sure I made sure my system was uptodate now.

duck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote

even with all the current updates for my Win7 I still see strange behaviour. Try leaving this topic to forum index and surfing back into it through the forum links and see if you see all posts the first time you do it. If you do do it a couple times or try editing one of your posts once or twice. See if you don't see something strange? I really can't make sense of it.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote

It's working for me at least as far as I can tell. I hate these kinds of issues!

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote

if you have mod_header and mod_expires installed on your server this will fix the firefox issue (.htaccess)
# Force no caching for dynamic files
<FilesMatch "\.(php|cgi|pl|html)$">
ExpiresActive Off
Header set Cache-Control "private, no-cache, no-store, proxy-revalidate, no-transform"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
</FilesMatch>

When i tested this some time ago, firefox was not properly responding to 304 http status codes. Meaning if a document was in the cache FF didn't care if there was a new version or not. The only way to prevent this was to prevent caching in the first place. Why would you want a php or non-static html page cached anyway?

There is also a browser side fix listed here [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote

I think mimetype.php also does some handling for 304's but I don't have my IDE open right now.
I don't think it's browser related (well, not entirely) as I've been having caching problems here for over a year now, specifically forums and forum threads not updating when read and have even replied to posts, clicked the 'return to forum' link and not even seen my posted reply.
Refrshing the browser window usually helps but sometimes when I re-visit the next day, I see the same posts marked as 'new' that I read the day before.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Well, I do have the browser side fix installed so maybe that's why I don't see it.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
Why would you want a php or non-static html page cached anyway?

I'll only speak to the .html files. .html can be static or dynamic. In my experience, most are dynamic, so I would want them cached.

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote

this article is kinda old but I think it explains what is going on. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I can't find the other link I had read, but firefox has not addressed this because it says it only happens when there is some type of server misconfiguration and is not a bug. Something to do with conflicting or duplicate values. Wish I could find the link, but alas I cannot.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of caching a dynamic page?

duck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Well a dynamic page that hasn't changed in a while could still have an advantage by being cached for sure. No need to run queries etc. But if the caching mechanism is not playing friendly then it might be better to turn it off. After the speed difference between the cached page and the dynamically drawn one isn't that big a difference here I would think. There's no heavy graphics on the site and forum threads aren't too deep.

Interesting Article Spastic thanks for the link! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Issues/Problems With This Site

View next topic
View previous topic