Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Announcements
crypto
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote

What is the general status of Ravennuke development?

It has been about 21 months when ravennuke v2.40.01 was introduced. What are the plans and timetable for v2.50 (or any 'new version')?

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote

Soon. 2.5 is in the final stages of testing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote

Thanks of the update!

crypto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote

How has the final testing phase succeed?

What is the estimated release time for RN 2.5?

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote

As Nuken said November 26, we are in the final stages of testing. The code has been "frozen" except to fix any critical issues and we are tweaking the installation code and documentation. Only Raven or Palbin could give you a date and even their date would only be an estimate that depends on what, if any, critical issues are found and also on the availability of our all volunteer "staff" to fix them. But soon ...

Eduardo
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
As Nuken said November 26, we are in the final stages of testing. The code has been "frozen" except to fix any critical issues and we are tweaking the installation code and documentation. Only Raven or Palbin could give you a date and even their date would only be an estimate that depends on what, if any, critical issues are found and also on the availability of our all volunteer "staff" to fix them. But soon ...

Do you know if version 2.5 contains osCommerce module?

nuken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote

It does not. osCommerce modules will probably stay as addon modules and not be included in the core of RavenNuke in the future.

crypto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote

fkelly wrote:
Only Raven or Palbin could give you a date

Just curious... Could Raven or Palbin comment about the release schedule / target?

What new features are included in the v2.5?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote

While it looks like the Release Notes haven't been written yet (which would have a more functional description of key changes), the full change log is there:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote

I am really proud of myself about this change and thanks to Raven to take into account this feature. Very Happy

Quote:
Added sub forums to Forums module.

neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote

montego wrote:
While it looks like the Release Notes haven't been written yet (which would have a more functional description of key changes), the full change log is there:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Quote:
Replaced News module with Tricked Out News, which includes single / dual column news, nukeSEO Social Bookmarks with CSS Sprites, article page ads, Disqus comment integration, tag clouds and more.

i am not happy with the integration of the tickedout news. the problem is, the solution in tickedout news for the dualview mode is not the best for older themes or own changed themes. i have a own theme-based hack for the dualmode in the news and thats is better then to change the module. it gives a lot of things, what i don't need in the trickedout news. if RN 2.5 comes with this module, then i must change all own news module fixes. that is very bad and i can not change to RN 2.5

Crying or Very sad

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Most features of TrickedOut news are implemented optionally through an admin screen. I would suggest keeping your powder dry until you can get your hands on the code ... then back everything up and give the new module a try.

Yes, however, if you have customized your news module code you are going to need to look at the changes line by line comparing them with the new code. That's just the way things work when you customize a product such as this. To avoid this we would NEVER be able to enhance ANY module.

Incidentally, the release notes are now available on the Wiki site.

neralex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote

yes of course, but a dualview is a theme based thing and not to code hard in a core module. the news module had a standard and that is now broken. thats my problem. on all RN releases i can set my changes in there but now i must code all changes new. thats very pitty and this not a improvement. its very hard for all RN-users.

the next one is, the social sprites integration in the tricked out news are not best, too. to much JS, on many places nukePIE can changed to CSS.

disqus is a 3rd party service and not a core function. the user must register a account outside the RN.

all jquery calls are set in the header not on the end of body. that brings to much loading time. the content must wait on this calls, to render the rest of the nuke.

the dualview-mode brings problems in the height of the left an right news boxes. no one i can set a fix height for a theme. i must change the core code, too. so i have a height in the module and in the theme.

the list is long and i can write lot more about this module. the old news module was not perfekt but easier to edit with own addons. in the tricked out news i must change many code back to the old standard and thats very sad.

real useful changes are unfortunately not included in it. for exmaple to save a news without a put home and without a timebased saving. i mean real core-based and not this theme-based changes.

i want to make the tricked out news not bad but the module is simply not mature enough to get it to install in a release. that's my opinion.

nuken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote

The good news is you can use the exact same news module that was in RN 2.4.01 with 2.5. All you have to do is delete the News and Submit News modules in 2.5 and replace them with the ones from 2.4.01.

Also. this is not the standard Tricked Out News. This one has an admin interface that allows you to turn on or off parts of it. The disqus is optional. You can use the built in one or disqus through the admin panel. Same with the dual news. We have made modifications to the dual mod that should work with most themes unless they are under 780px wide.

neralex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote

ok. if i can use the old news module, is it the best solution for me! thanks for your answer, nuken!

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Neralex, TrickedOut is very fresh and new. Better than the old news. Why do you want to use an old theme which takes long time to load. We need new CSS Themes. More quality and design. Why to stuck with the same feature everytime and the old themes which have lots of problems?

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
TrickedOut is very fresh and new. Better than the old news

And I don't know if it matters to you or not, but many, many filtering enhancements have been made in TON. Also, the code has been somewhat streamlined, especially on the admin side of things ... although there is more to do there ... we just ran out of time.

When the code is released, take a look at /admin/index.php in Beyond Compare or a similar tool, comparing the 2.4.01 code with 2.5. You will see what I mean.

Last edited by fkelly on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total 
crypto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote

Does TON use same news table as old module? Can it show old news as well, or just a news what has been published from TON user interface?

nuken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote

TON uses the exact same database and structure as the standard news module. Anything in your news will still be in TON. The addons for TON are in a separate Table.

neralex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote

unicornio wrote:
Neralex, TrickedOut is very fresh and new. Better than the old news. Why do you want to use an old theme which takes long time to load. We need new CSS Themes. More quality and design. Why to stuck with the same feature everytime and the old themes which have lots of problems?

oh unicornio... first read, then write!
you don't know what for a theme i have in using. also make slowly and read it again Smile

thanks! Smile

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote

nuken wrote:
The good news is you can use the exact same news module that was in RN 2.4.01 with 2.5. All you have to do is delete the News and Submit News modules in 2.5 and replace them with the ones from 2.4.01.

Also. this is not the standard Tricked Out News. This one has an admin interface that allows you to turn on or off parts of it. The disqus is optional. You can use the built in one or disqus through the admin panel. Same with the dual news. We have made modifications to the dual mod that should work with most themes unless they are under 780px wide.

@Nuken: I was not aware that that's all it takes to keep compatibility with releases prior to 2.5 Laughing . This very good to know and we need to highlight this. Please add a section/paragraph to the Wiki to cover this and make it available probably in the TON section as an FYI or something to immediately call attention to the fact. But, also add a statement that the old news module is deprecated in v2.5 and will be dropped in a future release. This should give the users more time to upgrade their sites/themes.

@nerelex: Please be aware that there is a very good chance that it will be dropped in the next Major release which is slated to be v3.0. We just cannot continue to support the older releases. We desired to and really all we have accomplished is we have fallen way behind the competition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic