Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> BB2Nuke
slackervaara
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote

When Google indexes my forum posts many posts are indexed as quoted, which is a disadvantage, when reading the post. Is there a simple way to stop Google from indexing post as quoted? I use Shortlinks, but I remember that this problem has always existed.

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote

not exactly sure what you mean by quoted. are you referring to the URL google indexes or the meta description google appends to your link? or something else? more info or a screenshot might help me understand.. Confused

slackervaara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote

Often when Google refers to a forumpost of my site and I click on the link, I get the forumpost in quoted condition and as if I had clicked on quote for that post. Not very practical if the thread consists of more than 15 posts for instance and only 13 is in the history. It seems that Google seems to like to index the forum posts in quoted condition

spasticdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote

ok, I get what you are saying. I never understood why the quote link was shown to anonymous users (and search engines). I did some preliminary work on a slightly improved seo forums setup, but it's not exactly production ready. I'm working on a theme that will incorporate this, but it's a ways off from completion. although the basic approach is pretty simple..

I use two different templates depending on whether the viewer is able to post or not. For example modules/Forums/viewtopic.php

Code:
// Load templates

if ( $is_auth['auth_post'] ){
$template->set_filenames(array(
        'body' => 'viewtopic_body.tpl')
);
}else{
$template->set_filenames(array(
        'body' => 'viewtopic_body2.tpl')
);
}

then the viewtopic_body2.tpl file of my theme trims out all the unnecessary info from the template, such as quote, next/previous topic, "You cannot post new topics in this forum", watch this topic, etc...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> BB2Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic