Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke / Raven CMS CMS Wiki
rrclansite
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote

hey there all

I recently purchased some stuff for RavenNuke from Udesigns.be and i stumbled upon this:

Player of the Month Module and Block v2
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This file was coded and created by Scorpion from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and has been stolen and renamed to v2 by phpnuke-downloads.com which is against the GPL and pointless to be honest !

Please do not download anything from his site or support his imoral tactics of downloading developers code/scripts/modules/themes and even payed for products and then he simply is editing the copyright and links and then calling them HIS.

Please do not even visit his site, that is what he wants you to do... you can get ALL of his downloads from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] for free.

We hope you understand the situation and support coders and designers making the php-nuke community a better place.

You can read about his piracy antics (that is slowly gathering pace now among the nuke community)
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Installation is very simple.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1st. Upload the contents of the http folder to you nuke root.

2nd. Run the installation script - [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

3rd. Activate the module in your Nuke Admin Control Panel.

4th. Activate the block in your Nuke Admin Control Panel.

Thank you
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] (the good site promoting developers and coders)

Personally i'm disgusted with this and quite frankly i didn't know about it
I downloaded stuff from this noob before (all free stuff) but now that I DO know about it, i will not ever use the stuff i downloaded from there again.

I just wanted to suggest that you guys place some kind of link towards the articles posted in the itallic section when people start downloading the latest version of the RavenNuke CMS, because I want to counter this kind of piracy in which he involves himself.

If this has allready been taken care of, I suggest that you make it point out a lot more, because i didn't hear about it untill i downloaded this script from clanthemes.

best regards,
rrclansite

PHrEEkie
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it's a double-edged sword. By trying to 'get the word out', you cannot avoid posting his website address, which in turn is just mounds of free advertising for him. You have to understand that there are many who seek this type of exchange, and all of the posts/news stories just end up increasing his rank in search engines, making him more visible than the day before. The site owner himself was probably such a 'consumer' in search of free or reduced prices, and decided to take it upon himself to make it easier for others like him, and make a quick buck off of someone else's back at the same time.

On the other side of the coin, you cannot copyright something and never expect to defend your copyright. The true owners of work stolen by him simply MUST take legal action if they hope to do anything to stop it. I know that is easier said than done, and exponentially more expensive, but it is a part of business that any business owner MUST face sooner or later, especially on the internet.

A lawsuit simply has to be filed at some point, and then those are tools you can use to go after his Paypal status, webhosting company, etc. You can't just email the guy and say "hey, there's text in our filesystem that protects us from you!"

That's not true. Only an agreement from a proper court authority can do the actual protection, and take action (whether by cease and desist orders, or monetary damages).

From what you have posted, it appears the word is already out there, and the only way to make it stand out is by posting it in bold on the front of every legitimate Nuke site. This, in essence, gives this thin-brain a huge free banner ad on every legitimate Nuke site. I counter that a few of the developers who have been ripped off by him should get a class-action suit going, and then go after his resources.

- Keith

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote

The problem is the cost of legal action. If you are developing code and giving it away for free or for a small fee to cover bandwidth costs etc, it is unlikely you would ever make enough money to cover the cost of the legal action.

If have had dealings with the website owner myself in the past. Usually you can take the no-cost route of informing the hosting provider that their client is in breach of their TOS/AUP by making pirated software available but then all this guy does is change the download link to Rapidshare or some other free third party file hosting website.
On the positive side, these third party file hosting sites are usually pretty quick to delete accounts used for distributing pirated software. On the negative side, it costs you a lot in terms of time chasing down the download link and filing a DMCA.

Nowadays all my own stuff is licensed under Creative Commons license that prohibits re-distribution - and yes I CAN do that because PHP-Nuke is NOT a GPL product [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I use a different model these days - all my downloads are tracked and I only give support to users who I can see have downloaded the product from my own website - I think thats a fair compromise.

rrclansite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote

I understand what you guys are saying, I just feel so frustrated that I personally didn't know anything about it when downloading RN 2.4.01

so I kinda hate it that I got stuff from his site, even though it was completely free what he offered, so i do not feel bad about earning him money. Just feel bad about downloading from a piracy site. This is the main reason for me pointing this out, I would like to see every downloader of RN being aware of these acts of piracy, because I know myself well enough to say that there must be other blokes around there who are as naive as i was, thinking that the Nuke community was all fair and square. I just wanted to do something back for the Nuke community by sharing my ideas =]

thanks for your replies guardian and phpreekie
I hope that piracy will die out eventually.

best regards,
rrclansite

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote

rrclansite, a few years ago I was caught by surprise to find out that site was taking other peoples work and selling it too. Once I found out, I made sure to not go back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote

i never went back myself too, but it still confuses me every time that there is a
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
and a [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

which is awfully much alike, where the first one is a legit site and the 2nd one a rip off.
I just hope that 2011 will be the end of piracy within the Nuke community =]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> RavenNuke / Raven CMS CMS Wiki

View next topic
View previous topic