Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues
sak
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Is there a straight-forward way to make the account activation (when user clicks on email activation link) directly activate their account, instead of taking them to the profile edit page and requiring them to click the submit button at the bottom?

Just curious, as this seems to throw a lot of users off.

The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Yeah! I think it is possible. You need to change the path which redirects from your profile to your index.php. I did it one time but I really dont remember anymore.

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote

It is not possible without doing a little work. It is not as simple as changing a redirect.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
sak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote

Is there a reason you guys decided to go this route? Seems like it's redundant since required user fields are gathered at the first registration stage. This second registration/activation stage seems to throw people off.

sak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Posted a thread in the for-hire in case this is more than a quick fix.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote

sak wrote:
Is there a reason you guys decided to go this route? Seems like it's redundant since required user fields are gathered at the first registration stage. This second registration/activation stage seems to throw people off.

That may have something to do with it. The users custom fields and other fields may be set to compulsory or optional during the registration process to make registration as quick and painless as possible. It seems reasonable then to take them to their account page to fill in any other 'optional' details once the account is activated.

Why do you think it is putting people off?
I'm not questioning your judgement, I'm just trying to get a feel for why you think it is putting people off as once they have activated the account there is nothing stopping them from accessing the site.

sak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote

I just tested it to make sure, and it looks like the account is not activated until they hit the Save Changes button on the profile/activation page.

Most people fly through all of the steps, but inevitably some people get messed up somehow (don't ask me how). I suppose they see more pages with more fields to fill in and perhaps they close the window, and then try to login some other time. I'm not sure really.

I like the fact that users can put their settings in right there on the spot, but I think it might also be frustrating/irritating for the user to jump through so many hoops.

hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote

I agree with you sak. This is terrible for beginners and confused.

jlajax
Ardent RavenCMS Supporter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote

I concur. I do not know why but folks seem to miss the clearly stated activation e-mail sent. I have no suggestion on how to improve upon what is clearly stated though. As my 5th grade math teacher used to say:

When all else fails read the instructions.

RavensScripts

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote

People invariably don't read though.
Once option that might be to simply create a duplicate submit button and put it at the top of the form.

sak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of that. A duplicate button that says something like "Skip additional info and finish activation" would probably do the trick easier than anything else.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote

Ideally, long term, why not another configuration setting in RNYA whether to force additional field entry or not... or something along those lines. If we added this setting, then while in the "optional" setting, we modify RNYA to activate the user upon submitting a valid activation link PRIOR to collecting the additional fields.

prekill
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote

does this done yet?

this second acttivation is terrible..

nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps, but I have a registration mod that simplifies the whole process and bypasses the email and link back while still verifying the users email address. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote

I was following I guess an older (?) thread, and didn't realize this thread contained a script to solve this issue. I have designed one as well, and not knowing what the one in this thread does, I will add that my script/mod embeds the option of turning this on or off right into the Admin panel. Installation is extremely easy, and like I said, Admin can turn on or off at will.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

- Keith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.4 RN Issues

View next topic
View previous topic