Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Announcements
Poll
Would you like a special rank/recognition for those who donate?
Yes - Scrolling Block
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Yes - Special Rank
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 15

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:06 am Reply with quote

There many people who have sent donations in to this site and I truly thank each and every one of you Smile! I try to always acknowledge every one. I have often wondered if you would like to have public recognition in one way or another. Maybe a scrolling list of user names? Or possibly a special rank? I would like to get your feedback on this so I am starting a thread for this and have attached a poll to it. Please take the time to respond as I really do need to know this. Thanks!

GeekyGuy
Client

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Raven,

Personally, I don't think anyone else should know whether I've sent a donation to you or not. That is between you and me. If I give a donation, it is not so I can get my nickname scrolling up in a block on your website. If I give a donation, it is in response to the tireless work that you, and everyone else who offers assistance here, do. If I could, I would donate more, but again, that would be between me, and the recipient.

And thanks again to you and everyone else who offers their time, talent, and wisdom.

Respectfully,
GeekyGuy

Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Maybe the ability to request a specific special rank name of choice....(i.e. customized rank) ...... just a thought....

storebuilder
PHP-Portal Project

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote

if you install the nuke treasury module then you will get the best of both worlds - users can choose whether they wish to remain anonymous or not - should suit your purposes perfectly.

jaded
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote

I personally do not make a donation to any site with the expectation of receiving recognition. I do it to support something that i truly believe in. I would not want or expect for that to be made public. I think that if there is no public recognition then it forces one to look inside themselves to see if they are donating for the right reason. We should all have selfless acts that we do for others in life. That is what it should be all about. Whether that is time, labor, or cash. I would hate to see people making a competition out of the donation process to see a flashy special rank to set them apart from the others in the community as though a person who sent in 5 dollars is somehow more important then one who was unable to contribute. Razz btw, hugs Raven Embarassed

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Wink Right back at ya Smile

Just for some background on this, I am not in favor either. However, many sites do this and so rather than let my personal feeling dictate everything I do here Laughing I opted to hear from the community.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote

It was very thoughful of you to consult the community on this Raven.
My own personal preference as always, is that of 'choice' - the ability to have the choice of whether I wanted the world to know whether I had, or had not donated to this great site.
Some will no doubt take the opportunity to 'showboat' but that is their personal choice. Others would no doubt wish to let everyone know they had contributed, not for selfish reasons but merely to promote the fact that it IS a worthy site.

A difficult decsion awaits a lot of people RavensScripts

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:55 am Reply with quote

I'm glad you brought this up Raven. Donations on my site are a very touchy topic, therefore I don't request them. However, servers don't grow on trees so by not resolving this issue the community is loosing valuable resources.

I agree with Guardian2003 and I'd like to know where to find the Nuke Treasury module.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote

CodyG wrote:
I'm glad you brought this up Raven. Donations on my site are a very touchy topic, therefore I don't request them. However, servers don't grow on trees so by not resolving this issue the community is loosing valuable resources.

I agree with Guardian2003 and I'd like to know where to find the Nuke Treasury module.
http://nuketreasury.sourceforge.net/

sharlein
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
so rather than let my personal feeling dictate everything I do here
Raven, I think most of the people that frequent this site do so because they respect your opinion. A person can ask questions on your site without fear of ridicule. Your Christian ethic carries through everything on your site. I wish I could explain the tremendous pride I felt when you bestowed my status on me. My opinion is that anything that can be done to raise funds is acceptable. Just think, if half the people who haved joined this site donated $10.00 a year (84 cents a month), your server costs may be met. And it's not just your site, we, as a community, must support any site that we use on a ''free'' basis. Nothing comes without cost, so everyone, please, donate what you can. Now is the time to speak up and give your opinion on Raven's question. My opinion? I will go with Ravens thoughts, anytime. Very Happy Wink

Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote

sharlein wrote: Raven, I think most of the people that frequent this site do so because they respect your opinion. A person can ask questions on your site without fear of ridicule.

Very true. I've not been able to participate on your site as I would like due to health reasons, but this is one of the first places I look for advice on PHP-Nuke. You (and chatserve, and Bob Marion, to name names) have saved my biscuits from hackers more than once - a debt that can never be repaid adequately. Saying that, I feel more than a bit guilty for not being able to donate at the moment, but I have some heavy-duty medical bills coming up shortly & likely more to come since I'm still in recovery. Once those are caught up, I will be a supporter of this site.

I don't ask for donations at my site because I'm still learning PHP, so while my work is the best I can do at the moment, it is not programmer quality by any means. But you, Raven, certainly are no amateur. The work you do in this community is top-notch. You would be in your right to charge for it, and that fact that you haven't is a very great kindness to all of us. There is nothing wrong in asking for help in defraying the costs of running this site. As for special titles or honorable mentions, I always think those should be awarded for exceptional merit. Maybe just for those who are top posters or go above and beyond in some way.

Lol, my two cents! Smile

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote

This feedback is great! Some issues have been raised that I wouldn't have given a second thought to! If I were to ever do anything like this, I can assure you that it would NEVER be an elitist type thing. It would be explicitly clear that it's for donations in recognition of my contributions to the community and/or to the person. Nothing more / nothing less. I had never thought about a subscription service for priority responses, but I wouldn't do that either. Geesh, I barely have time to do side-work now Laughing and it's usually first come - first serve. Please keep responding to this thread if you have input. This is extremely valuable!

And LS, please get well soon! Don't hesitate to post your prayer requests Wink

blith
Client

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote

I accept donations at my site and I have a page set aside for Friends of the Roam. When I get a donation I ask if I may post their name or if they wish to remain anonymous... it matters not to me but it is my way of saying thank you to them publically. It doesn't seem to be causing a problem.

Scribbles
Client

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:13 am Reply with quote

I think that this issue is entirely up to you. You offer some wonderful services, and ask for little in return. This is admirable. If you wish to acknowledge someone who wants to return the kindness, then by all means do so.

If you really want to assign a special rank, you might think about giving those people the rank of "Sponsor". I have seen this on other sites (www.newbeetle.org), and people do seem to like the title.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic