Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums
 

 

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Author Message
tomw
New Member
New Member


Joined: Apr 04, 2010
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote

I currently have a website (standard phpnuke I would guess - probably old revision of it) its a gaming clan website 'darkanarchists.com'. I got a new theme from Clan Themes and want to upgrade to it.

Ped posted to me why I would not update to ravensnuke... Well its really quiet simple...

I do not host the site - a friend of the clan leader does. He has business servers that he runs and he has it on there; so its no charge. He really does not have a lot of time to mess with it so I bug him about it until he does do things. I can tell he does not want to spend a lot of time messing with it.

My questions are as follows:

1. What would it take him to update the software to ravensnuke?
2. What (if he does not want to take the time to do #1) can I do to get the site hosted myself where I can be in complete control of it and use the new theme from clan themes?
3. IF I where to inquire about hosting on this site - which package would work best for me to host a multi-gaming clan website with the new multi-gaming clan theme from clan themes?

Well like I said I am a complete noob and really know nothing about web hosting. IS it something I can do from my home computer? What are some of my options?

Any help, advice, or constructive comments would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
 
View user's profile Send private message
spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team


Joined: Dec 02, 2006
Posts: 1692
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote

hello there friend Smile

you have come to the right place Wink

knowing exactly what version you are running is important, but converting to RN shouldn't be too hard. To start with, you will need ftp access to your current site, and as well as a backup and/or access to your database.

Getting a server under your control would be a good idea, considering your webmaster is pressed for time.. I would highly recommend Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

I started with the 3/1 package and have upgraded my bandwidth a few times over the years... Raven is usually willing to help out and/or offer guidance for the transfer process.. Any more questions just post, or maybe we can meet up on TS3 if you need a conference Laughing
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hicuxunicorniobestbuildpc
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles


Joined: Aug 13, 2009
Posts: 967
Location: Netherland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
What would it take him to update the software to ravensnuke?


A: Not so difficult if you read a little bit the Wiki to get more information about how to use RavenNuke.

Quote:
What (if he does not want to take the time to do #1) can I do to get the site hosted myself where I can be in complete control of it and use the new theme from clan themes?


A:You will need to transfer your domain if you need to host it into another one or you need all info from his ftp to access that site.

Quote:
IF I where to inquire about hosting on this site - which package would work best for me to host a multi-gaming clan website with the new multi-gaming clan theme from clan themes?


A: You can use Raven Hosting(better to talk to him about it so you can get some discounts and amazing support)

Quote:
IS it something I can do from my home computer?


A: you can always test RavenNuke on your computer(localhost) with Xamp and Wamp server but only yourself will be able to see the site. When you make your domain online means everybody can see your website.

I got only question to you.

What if you get hacked and you lose all your data due to the fact you are using a old version of phpnuke which has lots security issue instead of using RavenNuke which is one of the most secure phpnuke right now. Installation of RavenNuke is really easy even for you. Just take into account how easy is to attack a website with all new tecnology out there. I am not trying to scare or convince you but it is better to be clear so you understand how easy could be to help you if you use RavenNuke.

I am very sure you will be able to get more problems on that version of Nuke. Good Luck
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tomw
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote

spasticdonkey wrote:
hello there friend Smile

you have come to the right place Wink

knowing exactly what version you are running is important, but converting to RN shouldn't be too hard. To start with, you will need ftp access to your current site, and as well as a backup and/or access to your database.

Getting a server under your control would be a good idea, considering your webmaster is pressed for time.. I would highly recommend Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!

I started with the 3/1 package and have upgraded my bandwidth a few times over the years... Raven is usually willing to help out and/or offer guidance for the transfer process.. Any more questions just post, or maybe we can meet up on TS3 if you need a conference Laughing


Hello spastic...funny meeting you here...

Thanks for the info. I will try to get Deadwing to update the site. If not then maybe I will get it hosted here. FearMe gets back from overseas soon and I am sure he will have ideas too.
 
spasticdonkey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote

cool Smile we'll be here when your ready.

this should give your webmaster a basic idea of what is needed...
Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login!
 
tomw
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Would it be easier to just host it here? How fast could I get the new theme up and running?
 
spasticdonkey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote

If it where me in your situation, I would host it here Wink
but that's up to you.. as far as how fast it could be up a running?

There are a few things to consider, your database will need to be converted to match the RN db (first), most of the work will be in the conversion.. installing new theme will be easy.. Smile

also your domain name will need be transferred (which can take a few hours or a few days depending on registrar) so you need that info too.
 
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
 
Forums ©