Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am a somewhat experanced Nuke user and I am about to set up a website for my primary biz. I wish to offer products through this site.

There are SO many flavors around in storefront NUKE that I thought it would be smart to ask for guidance from those that hear the music.

Which Storefront is the most secure....The easiest to use...has the most options...is the most polished?

Here are a couple that I am looking at but I am sure there are more!

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/CC/CallowaysCart/

http://www.burnwave.com/

http://www.storebuilder.co.uk/index.php

Thank You in advance for your time!

Dawg

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:40 am Reply with quote

Your not giving us much to go on as far as your needs. But if your detirmined to run your catalog from within nuke Emporium or Callaway's Cart are both nice for that and pretty well supported. I don't have any information of storebuilders stuff but maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

Dawg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote

Greetings Six,
I run an Industrial Coatings Supply Biz. We make and sell all kinds of industrial coatings to the food processing industry.

I have a ton of calls all the time for homeowner type products and it is my idea to offer products to coat Garage floors through this site. Included in all these are all the "How To's" that go along with doing it and doing it right and a ton of misc content.

I have about 40 different products that I wish to include. They have Photos...Spec Sheets, install Instructions for each along with tips and tricks for each.

Is that the type of info you are looking for?? If not ask and I will be happy to supply the info.

By Storefront.....I was talking about Callaways Cart kind of sites...

Why Nuke? Because I already run a successful Sportfishing site and I am comfortable with it. I have built HTML sites before but getting something that is interactive is to much of a pain in the ass.

Thank You for your help.
Dawg

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote

<perk> Fishing?

I probably shouldn't be replying to this because I bring a certain amount of prejudice.

Anyway I think they all can do a great job of running a catalog. I think the differences I believe are in what happens after the sale. With 40+ items and an established market I think that plugins that help you manage marketing and the bookkeeping end are what would make one stand out above the other.

Myself if I was setting up a site I'd have to consider [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] which is based on oscommerce but is easier to modify since it comes with a template system and several embedded addons. The only downside is most of the information is in german but there is enough english to get by on.

I haven't used any of the embedded phpnuke carts on a production site because I was unhappy with the (at one time) slow development and lack of support for nuke based security updates. From what I see this is still an ongoing concern for people using embedded carts. (this isn't just a phpnuke issue). Osc2Nuke has been a nightmare to follow and from what I've seen its not changing real fast and really I'd consider it only as a last resort. Which is sad because it is so close to being a really awesome package.

Backing up I think if you were going to market fishing supplies to your established phpnuke community either of the carts above would be great and serv your needs well.

But I think if you are (and it seems you are) creating an online catalog from a fixed inventory of established products a more advanced cart might serv you better in the long run in terms of ease of use and less often and less painful updates. Which leaves more time to work on the fishing site wink*.

Like I said I'm a little prejudice about this topic. I think when e shopping people are more interested in seeing the product information and anything that slows that process sends them on to the next site. With the exception being independent reviews, comparisions and testimonials maybe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic