Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's
floppydrivez
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Who says I don't share...
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I tested both of these on raven nuke, but installation could be slightly different depending on your theme design.

Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote

The nofollow sounds nice Very Happy I think we can already underline and make bold in fck?

floppydrivez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote

Well the script does it automagically at runtime, just one less thing you have to do. You could change it to a .css class if you wanted something else. It should be pretty easy to mod for anyone who knows basic html.

floppydrivez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote

Starting to think I have a bad case of Wikipedia syndrome.. Anyway, I added the nofollow hack to the forums also. You can find the tutorial at the link below.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

eldorado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote

Cool, thanks floppy , great addon Very Happy

duck
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Just to let you know since you may not be keeping up with the times but your attempts to reduce Link Juice leak may be short lived and soon turn out to be bad for you. Google is reanalyzing their nofollow policies cause they are tired of those trying to Sculpt their own PR via greedy, hogging methods of link juice. And I am glad they are because the more common this practice becomes the more counter-productive it becomes.

There are plenty of sites scoring great PageRanks without employing the nofollow tactics of wikipedia. Also people credit Wikipedias Results success too much towards it's nofollow campaign and ignore the fact that it also carries some of the best factual information for a variety of subjects to be found elsewhere giving it great weight with its content alone.

Anyway Wikipedia already is starting to lose ground which implies the rumors of Googles attempt to reevaluate the nofollow and punish rather than reward the abusers is already being tested and starting to work. Which is good.

I think I might just take a look at this mod and see if it can be further modified to put "nofollow" only on links to domains that use no follow themselves. Now that would be good treatment! And I am curious how that will weigh with google? After all you keeping most of the lines of juice open to the deserving and only punishing the greedy hogs. I like the idea! Might share it over at google as a good one for them to consider rewarding in their new algorithms.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote

At the risk of getting off-topic, nofollow and noindex tags are (if I remember correctly) only valid as XHTML/HTML tags if they are used within the HEAD tag and not within the BODY section.
When used correctly as a META tag, it basically says 'do not follow any links on this page'.

Nofollow and noindex are search engine specific tags, which not all search engines obey though I think the instigators of this tag were Google and Yahoo so they should obey them - or did obey them until recently.
I think these tags are now part of the HTML 5.x specification but as they no longer have any real value (at least the noindex), their inclusion in the standard seems a bit pointless to me.
This is all very interesting stuff and I will try and dig out some recently published articles by Matt Cutts (Google Enginner) and others as it is a very interesting topic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's

View next topic
View previous topic