Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.30.01 RN New Installation Issues
tehw1n
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I installed the security patch only (resend email & rnya directories, and captcha.php), and didnt notice any issues.

Today I tried to access the "edit users" from ACP and received following error:

Code:
ERROR: YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOU DATA BASE TABLE NOW!!

Run rnya.php from the root of your phpnuke installation, update the database tables, and delete the file afterwards!
The version of the module is 2.30.01 and the version of your data base table is 2.3.0

I looked in the root and did not see a rnya.php file in the 2.30.01 download or my site. checked in a few other places as well.

can someone direct me to this file, and what exactly im supposed to do with it when i find it?

thanks!

rickleigh
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote

tehw1n,

I know when I was having some issues with my install/upgrade. You will need to run the INSTALLATION/rndb_upgrade.php file. The file named (mainfile.php) located in your root dir. needed replaced with the new 3.1 release. I don't know PHP good enough to point out the code that was changed. But, I believe they updated this file to control the functions and Java of this feature of Nuke.

Hope this helps

tehw1n

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote

thanks.
Im just curious if running this will hose my site if i didnt do the full upgrade - and just the security patch.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote

It probably won't hose your site but we did not test that combination. You should do the full upgrade (copy all the files) then run rndb_upgrade.php and the sentinel upgrade too as the upgrade documentation indicates. There are MANY important updates included in the set of rn2.30.01 files including some other ones that are directly security related.

tehw1n

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote

well, i did this, and am getting the following error:

"Unfortunately there is something wrong with your config.php settings or database setup as the connection has failed"

I updated the new config file, and kept the other few files referenced as being critical to keep (.htaccess, etc.)

Any ideas?
the only mod I have installed is the bbcode for rn

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote

tehw1n,

Please see these 2 posts. It's always prudent to search for solutions before posting issues that have already been answered Wink. In this case you should have searched for the phrase ERROR: YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOU DATA BASE TABLE NOW!!

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

tehw1n

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote

i dont know how i would have known to search for that phrase as its not the current error message i'm seeing when i upgrade to 3.1.

I know i started this thread with ERROR message. but i dont see how its related to the current issue. maybe i should have started a new thread.

So far as i can tell, those 2 threads dont seem to relate to the issue im having in trying to upgrade - those 2 threads seem to suggest that the upgrade worked except for the remaining bug they see. my issue is that i did the security/rnya patch first, noticed the ERROR: msg in ACP, then uploaded the full 3.1 upgrade, and attempted to run the INSTALLATION/rndb_upgrade.php file, and received following message:

"Unfortunately there is something wrong with your config.php settings or database setup as the connection has failed"

I guess i should have started a new thread, sorry bout that.

I rolled back to my previous files.. (so ACP is not available to edit users as stated at beginning of this thread), but I am very nervous to try the upgrade again.

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I have to ask. Are you sure that you didn't overwrite your old config.php with the one included in the update? Because you wither need to keep the old one or enter your information into the new one.

That is the only reason I can think of that would cause this error unless you had a corrupt file.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote

tehw1n, I was referring to your original post. As to your second post/error, normally you have an error in your database settings in config.php and that's the reason the connection fails.

tehw1n

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote

i did accidentally overwrite my original config.php with the generic one included in upgrade.. and i saw this error.
i then went back and copied the info from the original config into the new config, and uploaded that... but still saw the same error.

is there a chance that because i tried the update with a generic config.php first, it is now blocked or not possible even if a correct config is uploaded after? seems far fetched... but no matter what i tried, i couldnt get around this error.

fkelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote

If you have the correct settings (data base name, user, password) in your config.php it will connect. If you have CPANEL or something like that take a look directly at the file and see.

tehw1n

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote

So, I have to try this again. Right now RNYA is hosed for newly registered users: they cannot send pm or post in forum (recieve invalid session error). And as well, admins cant edit or delete users through ACP.

Is there a chance that someone can help me out with this? my site, though it has a small member list - is a live production site for my hl2 mod team. downtime is therfore really bad, and I definately cannot risk losing all the forum posts thus far - are there any RN admins willing to help me out with this via msn or skype if I need it tonight?

I'm looking to re-apply the latest patch tonight around 4:30pm PDT.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote

tehw1n, do a search here on "invalid session error" and you will find your solution. It is actually a cookie issue in the forum configuration set up.

tehw1n

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote

This appeared only after the failed upgrade attempt - im positive that is the root cause. If i still have the issue after upgrade, then i will search on this error. I've had it in the past... and it sucked. Smile

tehw1n

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote

Upgrade successful!!! I very carefully edited all my files first this time - instead of uploading everything, trying install like a moron, and then going back to re-edit config, etc - which apparently doesnt work.

However, i still have the invalid session error for new users only... so i will search the forums on this. But the only changes i've made to the site are the security patch first, and then this upgrade. kind of weird that it just shows up now and only effects new users.

There is one other error as well - related to the upgrade (i think). But I will make a new post on it.

dad7732
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote

"invalid_session" on the user-end is usually because they have cookies disabled. If others are getting in w/o the error then this is probably the cause.

tehw1n

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote

well actually, adjusting the cookie settings in the Forums config fixed it. What is odd about this is it only effected new user accounts. And these were accounts i created and tested. So i would not get invalid session with my normal user account - tried posting as a new test account, and I would get this error. very strange indeed. in either case, adjusting the cookie config in forum admin fixed this. I was still using the default MySite.com cookie settings.

Just a suggestion, maybe the default should be changed from MySite.com to ChangeThisToYourSite.com for absolute idiots like myself. Smile

montego

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote

tehw1n, this was an upgrade so the last thing most admins would want us to do is adjust their cookie settings... the issue was actually introduced by phpBB in one of the later 2.0.x patches. Unfortunate, but it was necessary to fix a security bug if memory serves me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> v2.30.01 RN New Installation Issues

View next topic
View previous topic