Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> eCommerce
alien73
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote

Who would like to see a ecommerce module right in core? I've coded CCart Pro and now NOScart. Osc2nuke and others are also available. After seeing many forums in the CMS world my studies came to this conclusion... There's tons of people wanting to start their own online store and believe adding a full integrated solution would throw RN over the top. I'm speaking of integrating ecommerce into the core search, top 10 etc.. not just as a basic module. To maintain a successful online store one will also need forums, articles.. umm how about RN commerce.

Just brain storming!

Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote

I think it is a GREAT idea AND a much NEEDED ONE.

Paypal/Other processors buolt right in...

Sell anything from Scripts to T-Shirts to Cars....

I have often thought if you made RN to produce income....you would get more back in the form of Donations. One of the reasons I donate alot is that my core sites produce income and I feel I should share some of that.

Dawg

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote

I did NOscart which I coded using oscommerce, but I don't currently have it completely rolled into core.

What needs to be done first

1. Make XHTML Compliant
2. Use RN style mysql statements throughout for increased speed
3. Full Account integration - one login, order info, addresses, eccommerce newletters, added to core...

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Personally I would not want to see an ecommerce module built into the core. Yes a lot of people use it for selling, but equally a lot of people don't and therefore in my opinion it would be unnecssary bloat.

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote

That's the wonderful thing about enable or disable... Do you currently use every module available?

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote

I just wouldn't want to have it in the package. An ecommerce module would be bigger than any other module in RN and if we added every module that users wanted in RN we would end up with a package like Platinum, or Evolution. There is nothing wrong with these packages, but this is one of the reasons I use RN instead of these packages.

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote

I understand completely just looking out for the popularity of Raven.. More users mean more support, more donations, more money to keep Raven up and running, Maybe even a CMS award "It will happen". Over 80% of households have computers and tons of people are looking for a complete solution. Eccomerce is the first on the list for many.

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Donations is something that has been discussed many times. There are a lot of people who download RN and use it to make money, but never give anything back and therefore I am not convinced introducing an ecommerce module would solve this problem. Of course this is JMO so lets see what everybody else says.

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote

They might not write a check or Paypal a payment, but at the bottom of every page it should say something about "RAVEN" with a link. The squeaky wheel always gets attention...

Web 2.0 and ecommerce is what's happening right now... It's there for your taking, but if you have nothing to sell, well don't use it.

I feel very strongly about this, but don't expect everyone to agree.

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote

alien73 wrote:
They might not write a check or Paypal a payment, but at the bottom of every page it should say something about "RAVEN" with a link.

It's the money that keeps Raven's servers running and you may or may not have noticed that many people remove those links at the bottom of the pages.

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Let's stay positive.. Trust me if you offer more features people will come around.

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote

I am sorry if it looks like I am being negative, but I am just trying to look at this from all angles, if we included everything everybody wanted the package would be massive.

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote

"Massive" Power :>)

If not Raven would turn into just a Carrion Crow. Kidding.... Let's see what happens. Really appreciate your insight.

Brian storming.... Opinions... Insights....

Dawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with having the frame work included along with the required files in the "AddOnFiles". It is an excellent and MUCH needed RN Mod.

Dawg

Dawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote

As an example look at "Attachement Mod". Not everyone uses or even Likes it but I bet there a TON of folks that use RN just because it is there and easy to install.

Dawg

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Hey, my Grandma does ecommerce and I finally talked her out of webtv

ROTFL

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Here's our site we have taken to the extreme. Ecommerce and more... We use Bacoda CMS based from NUKE.

Last edited by alien73 on Thu May 07, 2009 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total 
nuken
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Maybe a RNE-Commerce addition separate from the regular release. It would be a nice thing to have if you were doing an e-commerce site, but maybe a little too much for typical sites.

alien73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I like the idea

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote

I use an e-commerce solution on my site so of course I would be interested in a core solution even though I personally have no plans to change what I'm using.
My main concern is that commerce type modules always end up trying to be "all things to all people" because no one is ever satisfied with a commerce product that has limited functionality.
If you want an all singing, all dancing commerce solution, you would/should use a dedicated product so I think any commerce solution that might be developed should have a clearly defined identity and clearly defined functionality.
What payment processors will be supported?
Will it allow for digital delivery of 'goods'?
Will it allow for tangible goods sales?
Tax ?
Multi-currency support and exchange rate conversion?
Different billing and delivery address?
Anti fraud measures?
Would the sales pages have a fixed layout or use something like Smarty?
Product images and thumb nails?
Discounts and coupons?

And thats before any touches on SEO.....

jestrella

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote

alien73, so you are the creator CCart and NOScart, great work on the last one, by far the best integrated eccommerce solution for *nuke. worship

Are you planning to join the team?

Best Regards
Jonathan Estrella [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
jestrella

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote

BTW, I will like to see ecommerce integrated into RN but as someone mentioned above would be better in a separate file download.

Most people just end up downloading the package, extract it to the drive and then FTP it to their servers. imagine a 25MB compressed file that reaches lets say 45MB after uncompressed. The process to upload that bunch of files to a server using FTP as mot people do will painfully last several hours to upload. The situation get worse if somebody don't want to use all those modules preinstalled but is not so literate to delete the non needed or wanted modules/blocks/addons, so basically what iḿ trying to explain is that a separate ecommerce package will be the best if we ever get to it.

So people download the basic package, test it, use it, like it, want to use an integrated ecommerce solution, et voilá, don look any further, we have the perfect one for you... you just need to download a sexy extra package, upload it to your server, run the installer and you're done...

Just my 2 cents

alien73

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote

I plan on joining indeed! Love what Raven and you guys are doing...

I already have a great solution that we use everyday on our site - NOSCart, but I'm going back and rethinking alot of things...

Also making a separate release may be the best bet. Use the latest RN with the latest Noscart with all the cool mods, clean up the code, make it XHTML compliant and more..

I would need to start a team for this huge project... hate to be the lone shark..
Dance-Stick

Dawg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote

I would think the way to do this is in with the RN team so that the core support is already there and ready to go in the base package (Read core Database Table edits and other core file edits)

Then have an addon package that you upload, run the sql and go.

The advantages being it works right out of the box #1 becasue If it is released as part of RN....It is 100% Rock Solid. (If something does not work as expected....you most likey screwed something up....just ask me)

Just my .02

Dawg
PS...
I do not sell anything on any of my sites.

jestrella

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote

Glad to read you are planning to join the team Brian. Will be a great addition...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> eCommerce

View next topic
View previous topic