Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Blocks
j4rdin
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote

I'm running RN v2.3 I know how to change the maximum number of items displayed per page in the news block but how do you change the number of items you can see in Admin from 20. Also it dosn't help that the Admin list also lists the news items I have moved to Archive.

John

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote

How have you moved them to archive?

jakec

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote

With regards to the number of articles displayed.

In the admin.php find around line 403:

Code:
echo '<center><b>'._LAST.' 20 '._ARTICLES.'</b></center><br />';

$result6 = $db->sql_query('SELECT sid, aid, title, time, topic, informant, alanguage, topicname FROM '.$prefix.'_stories left join ' .$prefix.'_topics ON topicid=topic '. $queryalang.' ORDER BY time DESC LIMIT 0,20');

You will see 20 twice in the code above, so basically change to suit.

j4rdin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
With regards to the number of articles displayed.

In the admin.php find around line 403:

Code:
echo '<center><b>'._LAST.' 20 '._ARTICLES.'</b></center><br />';

$result6 = $db->sql_query('SELECT sid, aid, title, time, topic, informant, alanguage, topicname FROM '.$prefix.'_stories left join ' .$prefix.'_topics ON topicid=topic '. $queryalang.' ORDER BY time DESC LIMIT 0,20');

You will see 20 twice in the code above, so basically change to suit.

Have found the line on my back up files, so will have a play tomorrow evening. Looks like I will need to set it very high until I have deleted some of the older posts.

I set Topic= News Articles Moved To Archive, Category= News Archive and Publish in Home= No. But in RN 2v3 there doesn't seem to be a way to handle archived news articles. It really needs either a paged admin news block similar to the visitor block or a way of filtering on category,topic or date.

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote

Just recently I created a block for personal use which only displays news from a specifc topic. You can also do the same thing on category as well. It was a basically a hack of the Last 5 Articles block.

If this sounds like what you are looking for let me know.

j4rdin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
Just recently I created a block for personal use which only displays news from a specifc topic. You can also do the same thing on category as well. It was a basically a hack of the Last 5 Articles block.

If this sounds like what you are looking for let me know.

It might help, I originally thought I could go into the site as Admin and would get the option to edit each news article in the same way you can edit messages, no luck. At present I can't even find the article ID number to enter into the Admin news block to pull up the article for deletion or edit. As soon as the article runs over the maximum number of articles to display in Admin, in effect it becomes invisible to the Admin.

Not sure if the latest RN 2.3.01 version will have sorted this out or not.

Would your block allow me to display each category along with each news items ID number, if so I could then go into Admin news module and call it up for modification as required.

John

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote

If you view the article you want to edit/delete, on the right hand side you should have the option to edit, or delete the article in a block and therefore you do not need to know the ID number.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote

It's not the solution you are looking for, but if you are signed in as an admin and go into old articles, then older articles, then pick a month, then pick an article you will have the option to edit or delete the article. I know, I know ... Smile

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote

The trick is to find the article first like fkelly says. You can also do it through the topics module.

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Actually go to the Stories Archive module click Show All Stories then click the article you want to edit and you will have the option to delete, or edit.

fkelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Great! Now that makes it easy Jakec ... learn something every day.

jakec

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote

I'm always learning, I don't think I will ever know how everything works. Laughing

j4rdin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Just got back to the PC from watching The Dakar Rally Raid on TV ......... To late to play tonight , will try to get a play tomorrow.
John

j4rdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Ok had a quick look at dinner time and after chasing my own tail for a while found that the print / edit / delete functions are now in a small Admin Options block on the right side of the page. Kept missing it because it was scrolling of the screen and I expected to find it at the bottom of the news article. Might see if I can move the block to the top of the page.

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Blocks

View next topic
View previous topic