Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.6.x
neralex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote

Hey Bob!

The last update was in September 2008. When we can count on a new version of your great Sentinel and IP2C? Have you stopped the project?

greets

Last edited by neralex on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote

More donations = more incentive to update things but the project is still alive.

neralex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote

donations is answer?

bad news for this project...omg

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote

I fully agree with Guardian. Also I think its a great shame for many users wich use NukeSentinel since years that they have never donated to the author of this great tool.
If you would need to buy a similar tool it would cost a lot. NukeSentinel is free but donations are required and are a kind of tribute or compliment for NukeSentinel and what the author did.

There is a misunderstanding of free software I think. If I would be able I would not hestitate and donate for every banned IP 1 Dollar.

neralex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote

yes...!! i run the sentinel in 3 sites and i have donate it, too. but is the best solution to stop the updates, if none donate comes in? many site runs with the sentinel and update stop makes me sadly.

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote

Like Guardian said NukeSentinel is still alive also there is a Co-Author Raven so I don´t worry about NS updates.
Just keep in mind every project needs supporters.
I´m quite sure we all wouldn´t want to work for free and spend our complete time.

Palbin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote

If you are worried about ip2country data that much you could always download it your self. It obviously would take slightly more knowledge to import it this way, but it is available.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan. 
webservant
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote

The past few upgrades, I have made it a habit of donating to this site when I upgrade RN. And I've also donated to NSN when I've upgraded Sentiel. So with the last RN upgrade, I donated to both.

It's the best way to both encourage the developers in their good work and to avoid the not-for-free alternative.

Perhaps, the projects need to put a "recommended donation" in the documentation to remind us all that there is a lot of coding and testing behind the updates.

Romans 8:28-39 
Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote

Many people tend to avoid the 'please donate' pleas the way the Priest, and the Levite, avoided the wounded man lying in the gutter. We just keep using the street and let the Samaritan help the poor guy out. I mean someone's gonna help him, right? He'll be fine.

webservant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote

That's a realistic perspective, but is doesn't make it right!

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote

webservant wrote:
Perhaps, the projects need to put a "recommended donation" in the documentation to remind us all that there is a lot of coding and testing behind the updates.

Every installer that Bob has ever written has always even had when it finishes a message and link to donate. People choose to take-take-take.

There are also other considerations to be made here. No-one can ever assume that this issue is strictly a financial one. Many great projects have fallen by the wayside for many different reasons. Very few people make any kind of living at this stuff; some barely even make the hosting payments, if that. Therefore, we're mostly volunteers doing something that we enjoy doing... a hobby if you will, and so REAL life can get in the way sometimes... I know this from personal experience. Sad

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Bob has health problems that sometimes cause him to be away. For the time being, I plan to take over NukeSentinel(tm) but it will mainly be for updating IP2C and some issues we find as we travel along with RavenNuke(tm).

webservant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for your committment to community! (or is it just a hobby?)

I agree with montego that people are take-take-take. It's our nature by birth.
The question is, how do you gently remind everyone that we're created for give-give-give?
And what's a reasonable appeal to those whose hearts are soft enough to answer?

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote

It stopped being a hobby when my health forced me into disability retirement at age 55 (four years ag) Smile.

"The question is, how do you gently remind everyone that we're created for give-give-give? And what's a reasonable appeal to those whose hearts are soft enough to answer?

Unless the Holy Spirit softens the heart unto Salvation, then a man's heart is very hard to soften. But, we continue to labor for the sake of helping those in need. Several prayer requests have already been answered in the first 9 days of 2009. He knew the needs before I did so I plan to continue to listen and respond to that "still small voice" Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote

This is for Testing Purposes Only as I try to emulate the process that Bob was using for the IANA updates. This is not how the updates will be done when the NS updates are released. The updates, once released, will use the same installer/process that it always has. I needed to get this into the hands of some testers ASAP.

Here are links to my swag at the countries and ip2country tables. This is sans installer but conversion is pretty simple.

ip2country.sql
countries.sql

The countries (c2c) sql file is in the form of
INSERT INTO $prefix.`_nsnst_countries` (`c2c`, `country`) VALUES('ad', 'Andorra');

The ip2country sql file is in the form of
INSERT INTO $prefix.`_nsnst_ip2country` (`ip_lo`, `ip_hi`, `date`, `c2c`) VALUES (50331648, 67108863, 572572800, 'us');

To reload your current/old tables, you will need to use an editor of some kind and mass change all the $prefix values to the same $prefix value in your config.php file. Then use the SQL window in phpMyAdmin to run the 2 sql files that you downloaded and unzipped.

Be sure to make backups if testing on a database that you care about Wink. Please give your feedback in this forum.

BobMarion
Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Two hints:
$prefix.`_nsnst_countries` should be `$prefix._nsnst_countries`

and:
$prefix.`_nsnst_ip2country` should be `$prefix._nsnst_ip2country`

Smile I'm not dead nor is NukeSentinel(tm). We have had two deaths in the family, alot of upheval, and yes my health took a shot for a period. The latter being the worst.

For those that do not know, I have seizures and there are periods of time when these are more often and mind numbing. When I say mind numbing I really mean it numbs my mind to the point that I lose memories of what I have been doing and it just takes a bit to get it all back. I'm coming to the end of one of those cycles and will return soon. For the time being NS is in very trusted hands Wink

webservant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote

I'll be praying for you Bob. My son, Samuel (14), also has seizures as part of a very rare white matter brain disorder. May the Lord fill your loss with blessing, mercy and grace.

neralex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote

hey!

thanks for your replies. great thread and all the best for bob. ravenscripts are the best nuke community ever...best for all!

greetz

RavensScripts

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for the suggestion on the ` with the prefix. Even thugh they both translate the same having it all enclosed isa better practice Wink

Are there any updates needed for the cidrs table?

BobMarion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote

Have to download the RIR dumps to find out. Will let you tomorrow, have to go out today for the better part of the day. Arrow

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Thanks. I have the countries and ip2country automated so it was just a question.

BobMarion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote

Sorry, the cidrs table no updates to it. Just the basic set of 32 entries to calculate the start and end of the range Smile

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure - thanks!

BobMarion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Still fuzzy on recalling some things as you can tell Wink

testy1
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Always wondered where the date comes from?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.6.x

View next topic
View previous topic