Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
jazzfuser
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote

I am looking for something like the members list found in RN, but stand alone PHP/MySQL so I can integrate it into an HTML type site.

I just took over a community tennis club's website (non-profit, no money, etc...) so I figure I will try to make it the best I can with the resources and time available.

My hope is to locate an application that will allow me to setup custom fields, for example;
Frist Name, Last Name, Rating, Singles (y/n), Doubles (y/n), Hm #, Wk #, C #, Time Pref (am/pm), Email.

The input would be managed by an admin with no real server knowledge - just login and start adding information. Access to viewing the list would require a password, though some generic one given to all members (to cut down on random access by the general public.

Is there something out there like this?

Thanks! And, I hope I posted in the right area.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote

the standard Your Account module that comes with RavenNuke (tm) 2.3 will allow you to add custom fields then you would only need to retrieve the data to suit your Memberlist requirement

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Is there any documentation out there that would explain the addition of custom fields, and how to implement this as a stand alone?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote

Provided the database is on the same hosting account you are trying to access the database from you can pull the data into any page whether it is a stand alone page or not.
If you are not using RavenNuke (tm) you could use something like the Approve Membership module which also allows you to specify custom fields that are tied to a user account.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote

But, to re-iterate, none of this is "stand alone", but maybe you could still run RavenNuke(tm) to accomplish this functionality. You could create a theme to match the existing site or migrate the content over to RavenNuke(tm) as well.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote

Thank you Guardian, I understand the theory, but lack the expertise to customize the user fields without a step-by-step, or "for dummies" tutorial.

I looked at a Raven site I put up for a high school tennis team, last March, to see if there were something in the Admin section for modding fields - found nothing. I can only assume this will require some tweaking within the script, and that's okay! The only problem is I lack enough programming savvy and knowledge of PHP to accomplish this by simply analyzing the code.

I had also included Approve Membership in that install and found nothing for modding fields there either. I understand this may be a simple case of newbnitude and would appreciate a nudge toward a tutorial or perhaps a well written doc on this subject.

Because of the superb guruosity on this site I think every problem I have encountered has been solved, so I suspect this too will resolve with the help offered here.

Montego: to mod a theme to match the existing is not a bad idea, but I would have to completely remove the blocks from each side, and be able to put some java buttons in the header. I recall something about adding java and the header of nuke type sites being a difficult task because you have to rewrite the script or something... either way I am certain you are familiar with this and may be able to point me to a comprehensive tutorial.

Again, thanks so much for taking time out of your busy days to field idiot questions from people who should not even be allowed to own a computer, let alone run site.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote

RavenNuke (tm) 2.3 has the ability built in to create custom fields - no coding required, just a couple of mouse clicks.
The fields are tied to the users account and you can give users the option to fill them in at registration time or later. You can even make some fields compulsory or optional.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Super! I'll try to update that site to 2.3 and poke around.

Thanks.

If I can learn an easy way to add java to the header I'll be good to go!

montego

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote

jazzfuser wrote:
If I can learn an easy way to add java to the header I'll be good to go!

Take a look at includes/javascript.php

Wink

There are also threads here I'm sure which talk about doing this.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote

I did a search for javascript AND header and the results were a bit overwhelming.

I think I need a full blown example of this to fully understand. I see a lot of nebulous references to "link to this" and "find the header" and such, but found nothing (or skipped over it in the mass of threads) that actually showed, step-by-step, how someone achieved this.

Is there one out there?

Thanks.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote

Also, within the javascript.php file, I can place the script directly into that file without changing it to PHP? If so, that's great help.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Just had a look at the custom fields in 2.3. Very easy to add fields.

Is there a way to display those custom fields on the Members List Headings? For example, instead of the standard headings of User, Email, Date Joined, etc... have them show "Last Name, First Name, Rating, etc...

Also, once the fields are created, can a user sort via those fields?

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I had a thought (yes it hurts). Is it possible to customize the members list and display the custom fields and sort options within a specific theme, or I suppose I would have to hack the forums module...no? I'm a bit leery about mucking around with anything and making it non-patchable in the future.

If this is possible, am I opening a can of worms? Would I diminish the integrity of an RN 2.3 install?

montego

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote

Any time you hack original code you have this issue upon upgrades. It is just a fact of life. However, I know that there have been discussions about possibly adding this feature in the 2.4.0 release (to make visible via Members List and Forums). But, there are no guarantees of that.

Regarding adding these headings to Members List and to the sort, I did this long back and you can see how here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] However, once you hack code...

Regarding this question here:
Code:

Also, within the javascript.php file, I can place the script directly into that file without changing it to PHP? If so, that's great help.

This can be done quite easily using the HEREDOC syntax. In fact, the latest RavenNuke(tm) already has just such an example in the javascript.php file... several of them. Wink

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote

Thank you Montego, as usual you are abundantly helpful.

The files and or lines which require modification to accomplish this, have they been the focus of any upgrades or re-writes in the past? If not, how difficult is it to upgrade over, or around? Or, perhaps I should ask - do you have to be a pro to upgrade around a mod like this? I should include, is there a good thread that covers such a process?

After poking around the javascript.php file I did notice the insertion of java, but hated to assume anything. With your assurance I will begin to play around with it - at least I will know I am not wasting my time.

I am certainly feeling better about trying to build around RN. Over the weekend I began to look into modding a theme to achieve this little scheme, and Traditional appears to be my best option (unless you recommend another) as to keeping it a simple mod. I was able to change the widths to 800px and it almost gives me the look I need when viewing the Your Account, Forums, and Members List, but once I head out to the main page the left blocks appear (something I will need to avoid if want this to look like the original HTML site). Is there a guide, like your added field sort (awesome, BTW - thanks) for turning off left blocks, and creating custom modules without using the Content Module, or perhaps an easy to use module template that HTML can be inserted and still meet the RN standards ?

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote

jazzfuser, the key to "build around RN" is to really get yourself a replica of your production site onto your PC. Many of us use XAMPP for Windows or Linux. You can pretty much have as many copies of your site that you want running right off your PC and you can "play" with code until your heart's content without ever killing your production site. Once you are satisfied with your code, you apply it to your site. Wink

In the absence of the above, take back-ups of the files you wish to work on so that you can immediately get them back if you mess something up.

Regarding that specific set of changes to Members List, a tool like Beyond Compare 3 becomes your absolute next "best friend". You can very easily compare what you already have to any upgrade files we provide and incorporate our changes, or do the reverse.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote

All great advice. I will grab the necessary apps and begin working on it.

Thank you, once again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic