Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Rants & Raves
thebishop
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote

After running nuke sites and game servers for 7 years, I have decided that I no longer want to sit at my computer for more then 5 minutes at a time and even then not more then twice daily.

I have always been in good shape. I run at least two miles twice a week and walk another 2. I lift weights 4 times a week for 30 minutes but i am finding it harder and harder every day to feel fit and to stay in shape.

I attribute this to dealing with my computer and all things connected with it.
I have noticed an increase in hand, wrist, elbow and other assorted joint pains over the last year and it crept up on me pretty quickly too, So beware.

I have taken all of the precautions needed to be ergonomic and protect my hands and joints but after a while it won't matter. You will develop hand and eye problems sitting at your PC for any length of time on a regular basis. Not to mention positional hypo tension (That's were your blood pools and makes it harder for your heart to pump to your extremities). Have you ever gotten up and felt dizzy after sitting at your PC for a while ?. check with your doctor if you have.

I solute and thank everyone here that has ever helped me with my NUKE problems and wish all continued success with the passions that drive you.

it is a time in my life to think about health, well being and other hobby's that tend to keep a person fit and not degrade ones health.

God bless you all.
Very Happy

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote

In my opion a very good decision. Good luck !

Btw: I believe much more people will go this way in the near feature if they analayse and reflect their life and expenditure of time for things wich are just not worth all the trouble and exertion.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote

I cannot tell you how many more aches and pains that I have since starting with *nuke... killing me Although I jest... sort of... it really is true. I am getting to the point where I have to pop Naproxin a few times a week to deaden the pain... Sad It is definitely slowing me down...

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I will miss seeing you as you have been around here for several years. I also know that we all need to take a time out. Over the summer, well, I was where you are. For a solid week I wouldn't even go into "room" - true story. But, now it's not so bad. I've been doing this type of work since 1970 and I do find I am asking myself more often, is it fun anymore?

thebishop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote

@ Raven & Montego: I just don't know how you guys keep going and don't have major hand problems. Of course I played games for two sometimes 3 hours in one shot (4 or 5 days a week) and I can say for sure that is really what did it. if I type for more then 5 or ten minutes, My left hand feels like I beat it against a brick wall and it takes hours of doing nothing with it to reduce the pain. Thank goodness all my doctors are at Stanford.

Someone told me a while back that cyber athletes only have a career of around 6 years and then their hands go bad. I can attest to the truth of that.

I think if I had used the CLAW instead of using a keyboard for my left hand I would probably not have done some much damage. The Key is keeping your hands in the shape of a fist as much as you can.

LOL raven: "A solid week" You all take care of yourselves and don't forget to exercise. Cheers RavensScripts

Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote

I have been thinking about a lifestyle change myself - working less, computing more. Now with the economy the way it is I may have to change my plans. I have already may many financial cutbacks, but things are a changin' at work so I might have to even give up my internet, web server, game server, and more Sad I will hang on as long as I can, though, and hope things improve.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote

Sitting for long periods also increases the risk of anal fistula or recurring problems with the same.
I'll let you Google that as it is not really appropriate for me to discuss it in detail here.
You'll just have to trust me when I say having to cope with it constantly for the last 3 years or so is the true definition of p.i.t.a
I have given up on a 'cure' after three operations failed to fix it but there are things you can do to help alleviate pressure points,

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote

Ouch...

I'll have no choice but to turn it off for the next 6 hours as I am on a non-stop from MIA to LAX, then driving an hour, then in meetings for several hours... I can't wait to get to the hotel so I can relax with the computer Smile

spasticdonkey
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I will miss seeing you as you have been around here for several years. I also know that we all need to take a time out. Over the summer, well, I was where you are. For a solid week I wouldn't even go into "room" - true story. But, now it's not so bad. I've been doing this type of work since 1970 and I do find I am asking myself more often, is it fun anymore?

1970? I bet the "room" looked a little different back then Smile

But seriously, hope this continues to be fun for y'all... It's certainly been fun for me to learn by your examples, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you get burnt out maybe take a break and play some Pinochle Smile

Too much of anything will take the fun out of it

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote

IBM Mod20 - Big Iron Wink

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote

I think I will close my support forum after 4 years online in 2009.
I hope this will reduce my e-mail traffic and increase my free time.

My only goal is to outnumber Ravens number of registered members.

Last edited by Susann on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total 
kguske

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote

Susann,

I'm confused. Did you reach your goal? What was the point of reaching that goal, then closing the forum?

BTW, happy holidays!

Susann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote

Well I´m the only mod for a big forum and the time has changed.It´s only time consuming and no fun anymore.
Its not worth to run this forum in the future.
I know I will reach my personal goal because we have currently 17430 registered members.

Quote:
What was the point of reaching that goal, then closing the forum?

Satisfaction
What are we without goals ?
Nothing !

Like the first poster with his goal of 5 minutes online I decided to final close my forum after I reach my personal goal.

Happy Holidays !

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote

I have a sports medicine doctor who claims one can be productive only using 20 minute segments, then 5 minutes for exercise, then 20 min coding, 5 min exercise, etc. I can't do it. Can anyone here code productively in mini sessions?

Time warping this thread ... 2008 - My mom died that year, I didn't have much heart and soul for sitting at a computer, hanging in forums. I needed a bubbling brook, under a canopy of green, with the scent of the Pacific Northwest in my head. Then, we moved, reno'd, and took up geocaching big time. We fought and won (we hope) my partner's battle with sarcoma. I got a dog!

And now it's 2013, so soon. For me, I'd like to get back to thinking about the CMS of my dreams. Maybe I need Google glasses so I can code from my stationary bike and stay healthy at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote

CodyG, yours is one of those posts that makes me want to click "Like" repeatedly. Thank you for sharing, for the humor, and for all your many contributions over the years. Cheers!

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote

Cody, just say the word and you are back on the Team!

CodyG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote

awww... I want to hug you all.

I just can't get my head around trying to be productive 20 minutes at a time. I was trying to write an if/else statement the other day and by the time I got it working it was 90 minutes later. I'm told I should set a timer! Too much pressure, imho.

I think the CMS of my dreams is still looks/feels like RN. Recently, I've had my way with the likes of Wordpress, Joomla, E107, Drupal 6&7, Tiki-Wiki, ModX, and a pile of others too lame to mention. I'm not impressed. Tiki had me excited for a little while, it was close, but if I had to see the word Tiki one more time I was going to scream.

And, don't get me started on Wordpress. They keep telling me it's a CMS and I keep seeing blog. Two weeks ago a WP calendar plugin was updated which took my server down at least once every 48 hours with the demand for 256mb memory... lol, at first the author said it was suppose to be that way because of one feature that maybe one person might use. I increased the php.ini to 256mb, but really! And I've been looking for a shoutblock with features for WP for over a year.

Drupal... oh Drupal. I couldn't get CKeditor to work with any other module in the early version. Ever try uploading an image in D6?... well, I guess you just had to be there to see how hopeless it all felt.

I've never seen a system that runs as slow as Joomla does.

There... got that out of my system. Wink

I have lots of community and personal websites running RN. Sure, some of the block and module code is older than Methuselah, and I am in no need of a shopping cart, but after a little tweaking here and there everything is still running and I don't have to spend all my time admin'ing updates and fixing, or not, the constant incompatibilities. For me RN still rocks.

I would love to get involved in RN 3.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Great! I will be rather busy over the next week starting tomorrow but I will get you added back.

Margie has to have the following done tomorrow at 7:30 am:

* Laminectomy
* Facetectomy
* Foraminectomy (unilateral or bilateral decompression of spinal cord, cauda equina and/or nerve root[s] [spinal or lateral recess stenosis])
* Single vertebral

In English, a roto-rooter on L3, L4, L5 & S1 facet joints in hopes of relieving over 4 decades of hip and leg pain. Wink

2 years ago she had a neural stimulator implanted in her spine and hip and got some relief but now it no longer helps Crying or Very sad

montego

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote

OH no! That is terrible Raven. Will keep Margie in my prayers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Rants & Raves

View next topic
View previous topic