Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
khaled_dxb
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm writing a new module for my RN site, i have achieved most of my core functionality - however it occurred to me now that maybe i should've started writing it as an included module from the start.

Right now it's an independent application - it's buggy and will definitely need to be optimised before final release, however i wanted some guidance from you.

Will it be difficult to include this application as a module now that it's almost complete?

I am gonig through the php-nuke manual right now, but any advice is always welcome!

Is it possible that once i'm done, someone from RN could look over this module and provide any feedback (I anticipate it will be ready probably in a month or so)

Thanks!

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote

The phpNuke manual is positively antique, you would do better to use the manual for guidance but use one of the core RavenNuke modules as an example to work from.

As for the module, well if it is a stand alone application then it isn't a module Wink
It really depends on what your module does and what you think your potential user base is.
If it were me, I would probably keep the application as a stand alone package distributed on it's own with it's own license, then great a module that hooks into the application which would be licensed under the GNU GPL. In this manner, if you had a need to, you could protect the application but anyone would be able re-distribute the modules code. This would also allow you to create modules/plug-ins for other content management systems etc.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote

It shouldn't be difficult to make it a nuke module, especially if you use the key hooks (function). The key hooks to support RavenNuke (or Nuke) would be:
- user integration (see the is_user function)
- content administration (is_admin function, modules/Your_Module/admin)
- database functions (e.g. $db->sql_query) which includes NukeSentinel

There are others, but if you take an existing module and focus on these, you'll have your module integrated with Nuke quickly.

If you make it available for download, you'll get feedback / review quickly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic