Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules
testy1
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote

I started out wanting a module that would display custom web pages for me e.g. About Us, Services

So i thought a simple module that rights the title and the content to the database would be sufficient.....I would then just have it create links

e.g. mysite.com/modules.php?name=custom&id=1

that way I could include these links in a custome menu or add them to the Modules block

Somehow I started adding a lot more then I intended to like editing deleting and so on.At this stage I am starting to get lost, So if someone is keen enough to help be my guest Smile

here is the module Click Here

Here is a screen shot

testy1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote

I just thought about using the legal module....so I have modified it and it may well do the trick....now I have confused myself lol, I will post the modified module when Im done...

I just need to rip out all montego's copyright's and claim it as my own Razz

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote

That'll get you a very hard

Smack

Smile

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote

Curious - what mods did you make?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote

You could of used the Docs module from nukecoder.com Smile

testy1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote

montego wrote:
That'll get you a very hard

Smack

Smile

woooops I was under the impression I was thinking that but I must have typed it lololol

I am in the process of changing the class so it displays the links with a nice button image (jury is still out on that one), I have also renamed nearly everything to avoid confliction.Few other things to do but I will keep plodding along.

I did look at the Docs module but it is not really effective for what I want to do.I have always thought that nuke needed a module where you could just input some html and it displayed a clean page, A bit like drupal allows you to create pages.This is a must have for business type sites in my opinion and could raise nuke's appearance to the business community

montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Well, at one point I wrote a module that I called TegoNuke Pages for exactly this purpose, but never released it. But, then, I got interested in potentially porting a Wiki for this purpose. It would give far more control over simple HTML pages like what you are talking about.

Problem is, too many ideas and no time to realize them... Sad

Good luck with your efforts!

testy1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Are you willing to share the pages module so I can work on that then (cough steal it) as it would be better suited by the sound of it....or is only in initial stages

montego

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

The problem is I am very picky about code I have written and making it public. Just a personal pride thing. I need the time to review it to make sure I haven't gaping wide holes in it... I wrote it 2 or 3 years ago. I've learned a ton since then.

I just have a feeling I won't get to it soon enough for your taste... but, I'll add it to my list.

testy1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote

no problem....if need be Ill update it for the latest raven

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
.I have always thought that nuke needed a module where you could just input some html and it displayed a clean page

What is wrong with creating a new block in the blocks editor from the ACP. You even get to use the wysiwyg editor to help you generate the html and you can position the resulting block anywhere you want. I have a client, a non-programmer (gasp) who is doing that to great effect.

And if the page gets pretty complex and the wysiwyg editor isn't enough you can create the block in the editor of your choice on your PC and then upload it. Then use the ACP blocks to position it.

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote

The block isn't a page a such and therefore you can't add it to the menu etc. like you can with a module.

We have spoke before about updating the module configuration to allow the same functionality as the blocks admin, I think that would be very useful.

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote

Fair enough point Jackec. In other words you can't link to a block.

So create a content page. Go to that page and see what the address is. It will be something like:

http://www.fkelly.org/html/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=4

Now create a block that links to this content page and any other content pages of a similar nature. You could even use categories and subcategories within content to "contain" pages of this nature. Put that block of links someplace prominent on your page like above the block-modules. Now you can bring up those content pages directly without going through the overhead of first viewing the content module and then drilling down.

Not that some further enhancements to simplify this aren't called for. I'm just trying to find a way to make do with what we have. At least temporarily.

jakec

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote

I agree, that is what I have done on a friends site.

Created pages using the content module and created a block linking to these which replaced the Modules block.

Just would be nice to have an alternative that would automatically update the Modules block. Like you say something for the future maybe. Wink

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote

On one site I am working on we just got rid of the modules block, or rather we just have it showing to administrators. It really is kind of a one trick pony. I think that many Nuke sites don't use very many of the modules and don't change which ones they use very often. So it is not very difficult to create a "linking block" with nice large fonts, arranged in whatever order you want, that points to those modules and content pages and other pages that you want to emphasize.

testy1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote

only trouble with the content module is it displays all the rest of the content stuff at the top, A business only really wants a nice clean page with the information they want there.It doesn't have to extravagant but just a simple admin module that allows you to create a page and then it just shows a list of the pages with a link to it.The rest could be added to a block like you say, Or later on a block could be created in conjunction with it to automatically display the page title and the link.

fkelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Bring up the actual content page you want to display in one Firefox tab. Copy that link into a block where you are setting up a menu. Most of the rest of the content stuff won't be there ... I think.

testy1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote

yer it is still there

jakec

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote

You should only have the copyright information and published date in the bottom right hand corner. Perhaps post an image so we can see what you are referring to.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote

Have you looked at NukeWrap?
That allows you to create html pages within the NukeWrap module directory and has it's own block which links automatically to the pages (though I think you can actually edit the links in the block from the module admin area.

testy1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote

jakec wrote:
You should only have the copyright information and published date in the bottom right hand corner. Perhaps post an image so we can see what you are referring to.

Sorry I should have mentioned it depends on what content module you are using...In my case it is content plus, Im pretty sure the standard one would display properly though.

And I will check nuke wrap out gaurdian thanks

pureliving
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote

I thought i would input an idea for you all, hope all is well.
Here goes:

1. use the information block to insert links to pages you create, affiliate links, any URL.

or,
2, Create a block that randomises links in marquee/static, placing all links in the block file.

or,
3, Create a block, an sql,etc table referencing the storage of links from a module file and a module that allows you to insert links from your websites admin, which inserts into your database, then the block call the database to randomise the display of the links on your website.

Proper how to's is down to your own smartness, i'm just giving you an idea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Modules

View next topic
View previous topic