Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHPBB
JeRicHoOL
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote

I have RavenNuke and an integrated phpBB 3.0.2 forum. I want to ask if NukeSentinel protects the forum too or only the Nuke site?

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote

It only protects the Nuke part of your site. Although any IP's written to the .htaccess will block access to the forums, but first they would have to have attempted to hack your Nuke installation.

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote

I've moved this to the phpBB forum, instead of BB2Nuke, as technically this is a standalone installation of phpBB. I don't want people thinking that NS doesn't protect a BB2Nuke installation. Wink

jakec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote

I've also tweaked the title. Wink

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote

In general, Sentinel protects the entire site, as it looks the _GET and _POST super globals for all accesses. That includes the forums (on a normal Nuke or RavenNuke site).

However, I am not familiar with this phpBB3 bridge. Depending on how it "bridges" it could go either way. If the phpBB3 forums operates on it's own then Sentinel will not protect it. Personally I would not run this bridge until someone gets the two products integrated better.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote

I have to add that phpBB3 seems to have been designed a lot better than stock Nuke with regards to security, and it may not need the protection of Sentinel (of course it can't hurt either).

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote

Yeah, look to see if the "bridge" code is executed every time and that it includes mainfile.php fairly up-front in the processing cycle. Then there is a good chance that NS is also providing protection.

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote

The bridge is there to bridge your account, log in, private messages and such stuff. Basically everything regarding the account and registrations.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote

I know what it is for, just not how it actually does the bridge. When you browse your phpBB3 forum, what do the URL's look like? Is it the more usual "m o d u l e s . p h p ? n a m e = Forums" or is it a phpBB3 URL?

(I had to mangle modules.php because the forum software here keeps trying to change it to forums.html. )

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

That's how it looks clicking a topic.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. It really is a bare-bones bridge then. It is not going through Nuke, so Sentinel will not be involved.

JeRicHoOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Well, it's really useful if you want a phpBB 3 forum in your Nuke site. I don't think that phpBB (3) forums are "that" insecure. I just wanted to know if NukeSentinel secures it. Razz Now I know. Thanks.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote

And if you read my earlier post:

Gremmie wrote:

I have to add that phpBB3 seems to have been designed a lot better than stock Nuke with regards to security, and it may not need the protection of Sentinel (of course it can't hurt either).

you would see that I agree with that. I was just answering your question.

As far as being "useful" I don't know, it sounds more like a work in progress as many things aren't hooked up to Nuke yet (i.e. a hack).

I think Technocrat said he was going to design a CMS around phpBB3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> PHPBB

View next topic
View previous topic