Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Hack Attempt Script
Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Date & Time: 2008-07-24 14:54:58 CDT GMT -0500
Blocked IP: 213.138.226.*
User ID: Anonymous (1)
Reason: Abuse-Filter
--------------------
Referer: none
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; UGA6P)
HTTP Host: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Script Name: /index.php
Query String: \';DECLARE @S CHAR(4000);SET @S=CAST(*load of numbers removed by admin* AS CHAR(4000));EXEC(@S);
Get String: ';DECLARE_@S_CHAR(4000);SET_@S=CAST( *load of numbers removed by admin* AS CHAR(4000));EXEC(@S);
Post String: Not Available
Forwarded For: 213.138.226.101
Client IP: none
Remote Address: 213.190.195.104
Remote Port: 10256
Request Method: GET

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote

I've gotten some of those also over the last two days. Just got two of them as I type this. It looks like he is using the CAST function to obscure some kind of shell command and then trying to EXEC it. However I was not aware that MySQL had an EXEC command. Perhaps he is confused and thinking we are using a different database backend. I'm no MySQL expert but the whole thing doesn't look right. Maybe it is targeted against a different backend than MySQL.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote

This seems to be an explaination [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
CAST is used in MSSQL

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Gremmie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the link evaders99. There is a CAST in MySQL but the syntax is a little different. There is no EXEC function in MySQL that I know of. Anyway, the mysql PHP bindings only allow you to execute 1 MySQL statement at a time for safety. It sounded like that is normally the case in Cold Fusion, but it could be disabled for "performance".

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys, but in the last 30 or so hours I have gotten about 100 of these all of a sudden. This is the most I have been attacked ever. He/they keeps trying the same thing, even though its aimed at the wrong database. Morons.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote

And on and on and on. I'm getting about 4 of these every hour for the past 36 hours or so.

evaders99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Yep ditto. Also Bob send an email of the same thing

Susann

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie I quess you could also use .htaccess something like the rules here:

Scroll down.

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Susann.

Here is what someone suggested:

Code:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^(.+)declare(.+)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^.* - [F,L]

I think I'll beef it up a bit, maybe make it DECLARE @S, as declare by itself is too common and may block legitimate queries?

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote

I decided to trigger on "DECLARE @" which seems less likely in "normal" query strings.

This is what I came up with. I tested it too.

Code:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^.+DECLARE(%20)+@ [NC]
Rewriterule ^.* - [F,L]

Hopefully this should stop the hundreds of emails I am getting from Sentinel. Smile

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Will test it but still no attacks.

technocrat
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote

I did what Gremmie did but pushed it back to local host. Completely stopped the hundreds of emails.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote

It stopped my avalanche of emails also. One could also add "DECLARE @S" to the string blocker in sentinel.

Misha
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote

Wow! That helps! Thanks, guys! Smile

RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote

I'll let you know how the .htaccess works as I've been getting hundreds daily on 4 domains.

Cheers, Jay

dad7732

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Well now .. many hours have passed and not one single filter hack. And believe me, during these last few hours since the htaccess edit, I would have had at least 20 to 30 attempts logged by now.

Cheers

nb1
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote

Accessorize your Denial of Service or SQL Injection Attack
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
URLScan from Microsoft. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote

Thanks, but URL Scan only works on IIs servers and not on *nix OS's. But ANY information provided can be put to good use, so thanks for that.

Also, the htaccess hack included above is working very well as I haven't received any block emails in almost 24 hrs since I edited all my domain's htaccess files.

Cheers

dad7732

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote

NOTE: Somebody with admin/moderator ability to edit posts needs to edit the first post in this thread to edit out the waaaayyyyy too long line that's causing the entire thread to be the same width as the loonnngggg line ... Thanks

Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote

God Bless You.....I run a BUNCH of RN sites and it was filling up my log files and E-mail box about as fast I could delete them.

Dave

nb1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote

Thank you very much after talking via e-mail with montego I have applied the htaccess hack seems to be working well also added "DECLARE @S" to the string blocker in sentinel to but as we can see in the link as not only affecting nix OS's but IIs servers as well so any information provided can be put to good yes it can

It's really disheartening to see this sort of waste of energy - on both ends for those perpetrating these attacks as well as the hassle of having to prevent it or at least fend it off. We live in shitty times when this is somebody's way to amuse themselves

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote

Most of us Nuke people are probably using MySQL. The above SQL injection attack seems to be aimed at MSSQL and would not work on MySQL. Furthermore, the PHP MySQL bindings only allow one SQL statement per query, so this would FAIL again on Nuke.

dad7732

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, I was wondering about that when I saw a breakdown on the script code itself. The best thing is now with the htaccess hack we don't have to be annoyed any longer by the hundreds of daily NS block emails .. Wink

Cheers

nb1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote

I am a Nuke person myself. The purpose of the post was to let people know there were other fixes for people running other than MySQL and Nuke. And what a wide range this particular vunerability/exploit, whatever you want to call it, is affecting web masters in general. And hopefully the information helps someone, and not to argue the point from which it is being attacked.

chips-ahoy

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Well this is a Nuke forum. I doubt if anyone running ColdFusion is going to be reading this forum, unless they do a google search. I was just trying to say that it was totally ridiculous to aim this attack at a Nuke site. But the bad guys don't know that. They are just spraying this attack everywhere shotgun style and seeing what breaks. If we didn't run Sentinel we would never know about this attack unless we looked in our server logs because it would fail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Hack Attempt Script

View next topic
View previous topic